U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 02:05 PM

11,757 posts, read 5,712,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
If I were you I'd drop one of the two jobs, and either focus on, in order: a) an SF job + a peninsula job, b) 2 peninsula jobs, or c) Marin plus an SF job. Marin + peninsula is a distant 3rd place (my wife and I have ruled this out) unless you can afford to live near the ferry in Larkspur = very expensive. I think Marin + peninsula commute (totally impossible with young children, btw) by car would wear anyone down, unless you can have Sunnyvale office hours of 11 am to 3:30pm - I'd consider it then.
I completely agree with this.

The distance between Sunnyvale and San Rafael is roughly 65 miles and having to do even 30 miles in the peak of the morning and evening rush hours is just not worth it...no matter how you try to justify it.

I will again toss out the motorcycle idea. Me and my partner's jobs are 60 miles apart. We live right in the middle of this 60 mile split and we both commute on motorcycles.

I can't express enough how thankful I am each and every day in rush hour that I am not stuck in the relentless traffic. On the days that we don't commute by motorcycle due to the weather (rare event), then we go in very early to avoid the rush hour commute. It is not worth wasting all of that time sitting in traffic to start and end your day.

If commuting on motorcycles is not an option then I would heed Chuck's advice.

Last edited by Matadora; 05-14-2015 at 02:15 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 02:14 PM

481 posts, read 737,400 times
The commute to San Rafael from many parts of SF is not bad. I commute to Novato from the Inner Sunset and many of my colleagues commute from neighborhoods closer to (the Richmond, Pacific Heights) and farther from (the Castro, the Mission, the southern parts of the Outer Sunset, and Noe Valley) the Golden Gate Bridge.

From the Mission, one of the farthest drives, I think it's typically 45 minutes in the morning and 45-60 minutes in the evening (shave off 5-10 minutes for San Rafael depending on how easy access to/from 101 is from the office). For me in the Inner Sunset, it's typically 30 minutes in the morning and 40-50 in the evening (50 is rare. Mostly in summer when tourists clog the bridge and on Fridays if I leave at peak rush hour). I used to live in the Inner Richmond and it was 25 and 30.

The San Rafael commute is manageable from many parts of the city. I couldn't imagine doing the Sunnyvale commute though, but 45 minutes is the upper limit of what I can tolerate.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:36 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,588,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
What about commuting on a motorcycle? It will save you so much money and time.
This is what I would do.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:42 AM

774 posts, read 1,688,971 times
Default Other options

There are some very good areas to live that haven't been mentioned.

The CITY of Richmond has some upscale gated communities on the Bay. Your wife could shot over the San Rafael Bridge for a pleasant morning community every day. (El Cerrito and Albany also... but the commute for you would be hell in El Cerrito or Albany.)

There's a lot of nice, new condos and apartments at the 4th and King CalTrain stop someone mentioned. And Marin Transit has buses that shoot up to San Rafael.

(By the way, if you can afford to live in Marin County .. DO IT... but what's this about parking overnight? If you're working at night, then the commute will be a breeze because its against the traffic from hell.)

It's not clear if you WANT to drive (own a car) or if you just hate public transportation?
I say this because there are a lot of great places to live that are in a half-way point between the two locations,

Get there and after a year, I'm sure you'll come up with your own solution.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:28 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,234,078 times
How about Brisbane? Your wife can travel two ways, both against traffic most of the time. She can take 101 to the Bay Bridge and then go to San Rafael Bridge. She will be going against traffic once she hits the bay bridge as most traffic is going into the city.

Or she can take the 380-280-19th Ave-Golden Gate Bridge corridor. I think she is looking at right about an hour, although Google maps says 50 mins

For you, you can dip onto 101 and hit 280 or stay on 101. Your commute will also be ~45 mins and you will avoid the worst traffic by never having to go into the city and you could probably take back roads starting around Burlingame.

Brisbane is safe, but boring area. It is a very quick drive to San Bruno, though that has a lot of typical suburban experiences - malls, shopping and strip malls. There is a Costco and a Target. On weekends, San Francisco is a quick 15 min drive. There is also some good hiking in the San Bruno mountains.

Last edited by HappyinCali; 05-18-2015 at 01:38 PM..

Old 05-18-2015, 01:36 PM

238 posts, read 258,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
There are some very good areas to live that haven't been mentioned.

The CITY of Richmond has some upscale gated communities on the Bay. Your wife could shot over the San Rafael Bridge for a pleasant morning community every day. (El Cerrito and Albany also... but the commute for you would be hell in El Cerrito or Albany.)

:

richmond to sunnyvale is not a pleasant commute. suggesting splitting the different between marin and the bottom of the peninsula by living in the east bay is curious advice.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:23 PM

10,926 posts, read 5,764,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
Capoeira above is right, Richmond district this is your best solution, and Ketch89 has I think the 2nd best idea. Note that you haven't mentioned budget or space preferences and desired lifestyle level, salaries, need to save, etc. Note that Richmond and Sunset weather is not considered good by many. You'll need to spend 3k minimum for a 1 bedroom in SF, and you wont' find much that's nice at this price. Near 4th and King, I'm not sure 3k would get you more than a studio there, and competition for apartments there is intense. If I were you I'd drop one of the two jobs, and either focus on, in order: a) an SF job + a peninsula job, b) 2 peninsula jobs, or c) Marin plus an SF job. Marin + peninsula is a distant 3rd place (my wife and I have ruled this out) unless you can afford to live near the ferry in Larkspur = very expensive. I think Marin + peninsula commute (totally impossible with young children, btw) by car would wear anyone down, unless you can have Sunnyvale office hours of 11 am to 3:30pm - I'd consider it then.
I wouldn't even consider Sunnyvale a peninsula job, either... Peninsula, in my mind, pretty much ends at Palo Alto. Once you're in Mountain View, you're getting very much into the South Bay. Granted, it's a small distinction, but the difference in commute time between Sunnyvale and places truly on the peninsula, such as San Mateo, can be petty enormous. With traffic, that can be like 30-45 minutes (even on scenic 280, which is way more crowded than it used to be).

I agree with your recommendation, though: A San Rafael job and Sunnyvale job is going to be really hard no matter what way you slice it. I do think 4th and King (expensive!) and the Inner Richmond are the only real feasible options in SF.

But best case scenario would be to find new jobs, if possible. Preferably in the same place.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:04 PM

4,714 posts, read 6,094,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post

But best case scenario would be to find new jobs, if possible. Preferably in the same place.
I agree with this. If my husband and I had been in this position, one of us would need to find another job. As it was, my husband worked in south of market SF, and I worked in San Rafael. We lived in San Rafael, and my husband became part of a carpool to work. It was still quite a commute for him. An hour of commute for one person definitely degrades the home life, especially if there are children. If both partners have a 1.5 hour commute, that would be an unbearable situation to me. Then there is the cost of the commute, which is considerable. Of course, everyone is different.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:31 PM

3 posts, read 4,512 times
Oh heck no. Your life would just be awful. I'm in Dublin and commute to Sunnyvale. It takes me 1.5 hours and I reduced that by 30 minutes when I bought a plug in hybrid. There is no way to make this work which doesn't end in divorce. Bay area traffic will make one of you absolutely miserable with a work spread like that. Do NOT do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland