Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2014, 09:36 PM

14 posts, read 30,113 times

Advertisements

What are the best locations in san mateo to apartment hunt? apartments that are considered san mateo seem to stretch across three caltrain stops so without knowing the area its tough to know what to look at. Any buildings you like or other recommendations are very welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 12:30 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraGuyLI View Post
What are the best locations in san mateo to apartment hunt? apartments that are considered san mateo seem to stretch across three caltrain stops so without knowing the area its tough to know what to look at. Any buildings you like or other recommendations are very welcome. Thanks!
My personal preference is around downtown San Mateo (full disclosure, this is where I live).

Second preference would be near the Hillsdale Caltrain station.

Last preference would be near the Hayward Park Caltrain station.

Hillsdale and San Mateo Caltrain stops get about the same amount of trains stopping at them. Downtown San Mateo is much more walkable, and a better community for apartment dwellers than around Hillsdale (which is centered on the mall).

Hayward Park pretty much just gets one train per hour, and the area around the station can be a bit rundown (comparatively).

I would focus on downtown and Hillsdale. And if you don't find anything good, also look at around Hayward park. Keep in mind that the distances aren't super great, and if you have a bike can easily live between two of the stops (Caltrain is very convenient for bringing bikes on the train, also great for "last mile" issues, i.e. if your work is far from your destination station).

In downtown, there are some larger buildings, but most of the apartments will be in smaller buildings. Best way to find these is via craigslist or just driving around and looking for "for rent" signs. For instance, my building, which is one of the nicer buildings in downtown (and isn't as overpriced as other buildings around it) has a "renting now" sign out front. Best way to really get a feel for area is to visit and walk/drive around. It is a nice area, and most things you need are in walking distance.

Hillsdale has a few large apartment complexes (such as Hillsdale gardens). Beyond that, it's mostly smaller apartment complexes and single family homes.
On the other (east) side of the Caltrain tracks is an area that will be developed and filled in soon with more apartments (more suburban-styled apartment complexes that you might find in most suburban areas of the U.S.). site: Bay Meadows | San Mateo. I personally prefer the charm of downtown to something like that, but others might like this redevelopment.

San Mateo, for the most part, is pretty dense suburbia, with good sidewalk infrastructure. So if you can't live right near a caltrain stop, it's easy to get around by foot/on bike.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:51 PM

23 posts, read 54,705 times
I would not recommend the Hayward Park area due to what HockeyMac18 mentioned; if you are planning on taking Caltrain it runs very infrequently to this stop. The city is building new housing transit oriented development in the area but that will take quite awhile: EBL & S Development: Responsible Property Investment

Hillsdale is the best serviced station imo since it is a baby bullet stop. But if you want walkability that would be downtown San Mateo for sure.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayaba View Post
I would not recommend the Hayward Park area due to what HockeyMac18 mentioned; if you are planning on taking Caltrain it runs very infrequently to this stop. The city is building new housing transit oriented development in the area but that will take quite awhile: EBL & S Development: Responsible Property Investment

Hillsdale is the best serviced station imo since it is a baby bullet stop. But if you want walkability that would be downtown San Mateo for sure.
Good points. Just want to mention that downtown San Mateo does get the baby bullet, but only to/from SF. Going southbound, downtown only gets express trains (still fast, but not as fast as baby bullet trains). I take these to Palo Alto daily, and it's still very fast (~15-20 minutes).

Old 11-24-2014, 01:10 PM

OP: I just saw in another post that your job would be in Mountain View?

Depending on where, that might not be that big of a deal. Like if your work was within a 5 minute walk of the station. But if it's further away, or on a non-walkable street, I'm not sure if you would enjoy the commute.

I take my bike on the train daily, and it is very easy/convenient. That being said it is only to Palo Alto, and the commute on the tail end to Stanford is only about a mile. I also quite enjoy biking. Not everyone does, nor would they want to do that daily. And Stanford also has shuttles that run all day that take me to/from the station (if I ever don't have my bike). I have to imagine that your employer would not have this amenity (few do).

The main reason I chose to live in San Mateo was because it kept me near my job, but also kept me near SF (which was something that was, and still is, very important to me).

But if my job had been in Mountain View, I might have rethought that. Especially if my employer didn't offer shuttles to/from the station.

I think downtown Redwood City or downtown Mountain View might be a better option. Redwood City has a nice downtown, similar to San Mateo's. The apartments around it aren't as nice as San Mateo's, but Redwood City is much more affordable than surrounding communities (San Carlos, Menlo Park, Palo Alto).

Mountain View will be pricier than San Mateo and Redwood City, but cheaper than Menlo Park/Palo Alto. You'll also be very close to work.

You'll conversely be quite far from SF...which can be lame for nightlife activities, but I think the time/money saved commuting from San Mateo might be worth it. And there is some decent nightlife in Mountain View and San Jose (albeit, nothing like SF...but perhaps enough for most nights). Just my 2 cents. Maybe you have a different tolerance and wouldn't mind it. I just don't want to mislead you here.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 11-24-2014 at 02:35 PM..

Old 11-24-2014, 02:09 PM

23 posts, read 54,705 times
Redwood City is going through one hell of a building boom right now in downtown. I see multiple buildings going up and I believe Radius is already open which is a couple of blocks away from the Caltrain station. That may be an option.

I think the other units will probably come up around a year or so so that is an option depending on when you plan on moving into the area. I frequent DT RWC quite often and it's quite nice. A little smaller and more spread out than San Mateo though.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:13 PM

163 posts, read 273,520 times
San Mateo west of El Camino and 101 is generally better.

There are apartment complex near Laurelwood Shopping Center that area is quite and still accessible.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:59 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,552,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayDiva View Post
San Mateo west of El Camino and 101 is generally better.
On that note, does anyone have comments on the area east of the Burlingame Caltrain Station, but west of 101 (Peninsula Avenue)? Is this an area to avoid or OK?

A friend inquired about the area - woman living alone, very risk averse.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:51 PM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,937 times
^ I'm perfectly comfortable in that area and can't think of any reason to avoid living there.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:24 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
On that note, does anyone have comments on the area east of the Burlingame Caltrain Station, but west of 101 (Peninsula Avenue)? Is this an area to avoid or OK?

A friend inquired about the area - woman living alone, very risk averse.

It's actually quite nice there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland