Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 02:12 PM

11 posts, read 17,115 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

I am considering moving to sfo area due to a potential offer (job). I am from south but moved to seattle recently and wondering what would be lifestyle changes like traffic and affordablity. Looking to spend around 2000-2500 on monthly rent for 2 bed / 2bath apartments and try to keep commute to around 30 minutes each way. Reason to move would be long term opportunites and career (technology). I am in late 30s and also looking for longer term stay to eventually buy a townhouse or something under 550K. Is it realistic to buy a home down the lane with a 40 minute commute from downtown sanfransico area ? Other option I have is move back to South (Texas) but lifestyle while I prefer west as but cost is what I am concerend about as everyone keep saying is it is expensive to live in bay area. But all the jobs seems to be in that area and great weather..seems like a catch22 or I am getting wrong. would love to hear some insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 03:37 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
You have learned to spell "Texas" and "Seattle" but "San Francisco" seems to be beyond your grasp. Also
"SFO" is the airport. It's not a short name for San Francisco. You don't want to live at the airport. Well, maybe...A 30-minute commute will be tough to find. I'll let the locals fill you in.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:13 PM

434 posts, read 1,018,643 times
It sounds like you intend to rent before you buy. Good for you! You'll be in a far better position to bargain for properties after you're here, and also will know what neighborhoods appeal to you.

I took a quick look at a real estate website, and see condominiums in your price range on the peninsula.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:46 PM

238 posts, read 302,393 times
yes, it is expensive. that budget will be challenging so close to the city. *maybe* it is doable in south san francisco or daly city but that is even pushing it for a town home/condo. and, it would be on the older side so don't expect anything luxurious.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:25 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxphone View Post
Hello all.

I am considering moving to sfo area due to a potential offer (job). I am from south but moved to seattle recently and wondering what would be lifestyle changes like traffic and affordablity. Looking to spend around 2000-2500 on monthly rent for 2 bed / 2bath apartments and try to keep commute to around 30 minutes each way. Reason to move would be long term opportunites and career (technology). I am in late 30s and also looking for longer term stay to eventually buy a townhouse or something under 550K. Is it realistic to buy a home down the lane with a 40 minute commute from downtown sanfransico area ? Other option I have is move back to South (Texas) but lifestyle while I prefer west as but cost is what I am concerend about as everyone keep saying is it is expensive to live in bay area. But all the jobs seems to be in that area and great weather..seems like a catch22 or I am getting wrong. would love to hear some insights.
Where's the job? Need more info.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:05 AM

901 posts, read 1,167,292 times
How high are your standards? I actually don't think your budget and wants are realistic in the Bay Area for purchasing. Any condo you see in your price range within 60, not 30, minutes of the city will be either very small (1 bedroom) or have serious flaws - poor condition, located on a busy street, minimal sunlight, iffy neighborhood, poor performing school district, etc.

Comingbacktocali is right, you might find something tolerable (again, depending on your standards) in SSF or Daly City, but you should be prepared for dealing with multiple bidders and cash offers.

I do think you can find a 2br rental for 2500 in places like SSF or Daly City, however. That is your best bet. Long term, staying and becoming a home owner in the Bay Area requires very high salaries - you can run the numbers yourself to come up with 20% downpayment on an 800k-1m purchase, and mortgage payments on top of that.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:32 PM

11 posts, read 17,115 times
Thanks for all the insights and sorry for the earlier typo about the city name. If I take the job, it will be in the downtown san francisco. I am flexible on the standards but looking for 3 bed /2 bath minimum if I buy. So what I am gathering is 800 - 1million is what I might be looking for. Perhaps one question I have is how far I have to drive to get it under 600K for 3bed/2bath (townhouse/condo) from the san francisco downtown area. If there is such area. Are there any affordable areas ? other option is take the job and stay in rentals as I cannot have it all.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:07 PM

378 posts, read 441,332 times
Default Re:"If I take the job"

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxphone View Post
Thanks for all the insights and sorry for the earlier typo about the city name. If I take the job, it will be in the downtown san francisco. I am flexible on the standards but looking for 3 bed /2 bath minimum if I buy. So what I am gathering is 800 - 1million is what I might be looking for. Perhaps one question I have is how far I have to drive to get it under 600K for 3bed/2bath (townhouse/condo) from the san francisco downtown area. If there is such area. Are there any affordable areas ? other option is take the job and stay in rentals as I cannot have it all.
How much are you expecting to make annually?

Old 05-24-2015, 08:09 PM

901 posts, read 1,167,292 times
If you must drive, the situation is worse than mass transit (which most people here assume) because traffic is terrible unless you arrive in the city before 7 am and leave after 7pm. (If you can pull of those hours, then look at the cities mentioned below in addition to SSF and San Bruno).

I'd say that no way do you get any kind of nice area 3/2 within 60 minutes *door to door on BART* for 600k. You could find such places in the city of Richmond and Hayward, maybe some Oakland hill areas near southern border, maybe Union City (all would be close or over 60 min total time BART limit; train ride is 30ish but you have to drive, park, and parking at bart stations is bad, and then get to work after getting off). You might not find those cities desirable.

BTW, 800 to 1m also means competing against multiple bids, some of which are all cash. It's possible but tough to get a place at this price point because it's "entry level" professional-class, and a lot of people can afford it. justmeinca might be asking you how much you make because you might be able to get a larger mortgage than you think. Housing is a mess in the Bay Area, with no prospects for change other than a recession with major regional job losses.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:40 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
You're going to have to do some work here.

Here is a search on Craigslist for an apartment for $2500 max, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths. I used the search for all of the SF Bay Area. Here you can see where you can afford to rent:

SF bay area apartments / housing rentals - craigslist

Then, you need to get on Google maps and see where they are compared to downtown SF. Then, you need to get on Google during your commute times, and use the traffic feature to see how long it takes in current traffic.

As far as real estate, if you want to do your own research, rather than talk to a realtor, I like redfin.com . Just start looking at housing prices around SF, then go farther out, and farther out, in all directions, until you find something you can afford.

Then, repeat the Google map options above.

Are you sure you need such a big house? So many bedrooms and bathrooms? Think about what you truly need, and then look again with a smaller place in mind. What most people in the SF Bay Area do, who aren't filthy rich, is they prioritize by minimizing their commute to work. A long, traffic-filled commute in stop and go traffic is a happiness killer.

If you do end up deciding to buy way the heck out there, you might want to consider somewhere that's on a pleasant public transportation route. In my opinion, that does not include BART, which I hate. Caltrain is nice, as is Amtrak. For instance, if you buy near the Fairfield/Suisun Amtrak station, you can have a pleasant ride on the train to the Emeryville station, and hop on the nice Amtrak bus that will take you across the bridge. Amtrak has wi-fi and a restaurant/bar car for brekkie on the way in, and a cold one on the way home. It will be long, but at least you can get some work done and relax :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland