Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 05:59 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent from norcal View Post
Let's put it this way. I am a 6 foot/225 pound man and I would be afraid to walk down Geary (or any street below Geary down to Hayes) between Powell and Van Ness in day time alone. I'm an SF native as well.
Geary just west of Powell a few blocks is where the art galleries are, and some good deli's/restaurants. That's still considered part of downtown proper, a higher-end area. Much past that it starts getting iffy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 06:01 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
$1750 is the going rate for some studios on Russian Hill. That listing isn't off far enough to be a scam. The price, size, etc. is comparable to other units in the general area. Besides, the OP has upped her budget, so it's a moot point, now.

There are nice 1-br's on Nob Hill in your new price range, OP. Nob Hill, proper. Beware of listings that say "lower Nob Hill". Some may be in a good area, others are in the Tenderloin. You should be able to have some good choices on Russian Hill and Telegraph Hill, as well.
Not sure where you're getting that information from because I see 1 listing at or below $1750 in Russian Hill. This would indicate the bottom end of the market for studios, not the average/median. Most studios I see listed in Russian Hill are pushing $2500. I even see a room for rent for $2500 (...yes, a single room!).

SF bay area apartments / housing rentals - craigslist

Like I said before, yes it's theoretically possible to land something on the low end, but it's difficult.

It is a moot, but even her new budget isn't going to get her many/if any 1 bedrooms in SF in those neighborhoods (especially if you have a pet). 1BRs are generally to be closer to $3000 (and often well above) these days in that area of the City.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:42 PM

Well, I just took a quick look, and found more studios (Nob Hill, yes, actually Nob Hill, I checked the location) for $1750, with separate kitchens, and 1-br. apts. in the areas discussed, well within the OP's budget. Those aren't unusual prices. These are good locations, nice apartments. Sure they're hard to get, that issue was already covered on the thread. So, whatever.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:46 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
I would tend to concur with the idea that there are very few, if any, legitimate listings for studios under $1950 in Russian Hill these days. It's possible to find that price point in parts of Nob Hill, as you suggest, but the building likely won't be that great.

Admittedly, I haven't surveyed the market in about a year, but back then that price was very difficult and prices have only increased. Three and a half years after I moved in, the apartment above mine (identical 1BR floor plan) now lists for over $1200/month more than mine--and I remember hating that I had to move in at what I thought was the top of the market. Sigh...

Old 06-02-2015, 12:50 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, I just took a quick look, and found more studios (Nob Hill, yes, actually Nob Hill, I checked the location) for $1750, with separate kitchens, and 1-br. apts. in the areas discussed, well within the OP's budget. Those aren't unusual prices. These are good locations, nice apartments. Sure they're hard to get, that issue was already covered on the thread. So, whatever.
I'm not trying to be negative or pick on you. I just don't want the OP to get unrealistic expectations. It's a brutal renters market, and she should be prepared for it. That isn't to say she shouldn't go for, just that she needs to be prepared and aware of realistic prices.

I hope she lands something around what you found.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:36 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,965 times
How do all the bums manage to afford to live in the tenderloin, considering the prices?

Old 06-02-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I would tend to concur with the idea that there are very few, if any, legitimate listings for studios under $1950 in Russian Hill these days. It's possible to find that price point in parts of Nob Hill, as you suggest, but the building likely won't be that great.

Admittedly, I haven't surveyed the market in about a year, but back then that price was very difficult and prices have only increased. Three and a half years after I moved in, the apartment above mine (identical 1BR floor plan) now lists for over $1200/month more than mine--and I remember hating that I had to move in at what I thought was the top of the market. Sigh...
The Russian Hill listings were, indeed, marginal apartments. One had no windows, and I warned the poster about that. The Nob Hill/lower Nob Hill (definitely not Tenderloin) were nice places, a completely different class of place. At the time I looked, there were three similar places at the same price, scattered around the Nob Hill area, so it wasn't an isolated phenomenon. Maybe the buildings all had the same owner, same pricing?

Old 06-02-2015, 12:48 PM

251 posts, read 283,140 times
If you want rational advice, it's perfectly fine. A little run down and rough-around-the-edges perhaps, but to say you'd be afraid to walk down the street in the middle of the day is laughably ignorant fear-mongering.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Personally, I find it pretty depressing to walk through the Tenderloin. Living there would not be pleasant, you'd have the constant exposure to people struggling and living on the margins. They live right on your street, and you pass them every day.

This might cause you to spring into action, retreat into your apartment or impact you in some other way. No thanks.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:28 AM

372 posts, read 533,856 times
Those who have posted here about the need for carefulness on craigslist and the dangers of the tenderloin are to be taken very seriously. The crime, open drug use, and elimination of bodily functions on the street are not exaggerations, and while some homeless people are not dangerous, there is serious psychological pathology overall in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland