Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 08:51 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times

Advertisements

SF's murder rate may be higher for 2007. While there are 98 dead people who were "officially" murdered, the SFPD admits that there are at least 12 or 13 more dead people who might possibly have been murdered too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 09:08 PM

463 posts, read 646,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
LOL... in one post you laugh about my saying Bayview (part of SF) is possibly more dangerous than Richmond, and now you think our crime is "outrageous?" If you're going to be constantly negative, at least try a little consistency! Btw, if you think SF's crime is that bad, have you been to Detroit or DC lately?

LoL gizmo you really make me laugh. Sf can have outragous crime and not be as dangerous as richmond. Richmond is just sad.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:17 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
LoL gizmo you really make me laugh. Sf can have outragous crime and not be as dangerous as richmond. Richmond is just sad.
Okay, now you're just confusing me... I maintain that your comments are very inconsistent, LOL. I'd much rather live here than in Richmond, so you're probably right either way.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:36 AM

12 posts, read 99,348 times
I just got some info from a family member living in North Oakland...

"Now about the Bay Area... as you may know, the S.F. Bay Area is one of the most expensive places to live in the U.S., second only to the NY metro area, I believe. It's a populous area, and where you find dense populations, there is--more often than not--a higher crime rate. I wouldn't say that crime is rampant, but some areas do have a bigger share of it than others. There are not random acts of violence; it's typically targeted and gang- and/or drug-related. That doesn't make it better; I'm just trying to put it in perspective.

Oakland, for example, has long been ranked among the top 10 "most dangerous cities" in the U.S.--East and West Oakland crime is all about gangs and drugs. Yet we don't feel that threat in MY neighborhood in North Oakland. I know my neighbors up and down the street. We're very involved in the community. We can walk or bike to nearby cafes and fantastic restaurants day and night. Young parents walk with their kids to school or to the parks. People walk their dogs. We have a farmers' market. It's a short BART ride to San Francisco where you have museums, theater, the symphony (in fact, we just went again 2 weeks ago!), shopping, restaurants, sights, and employers. Needless to say, I like our neighborhood.

San Carlos and cities up and down the peninsula is generally considered "safer", more expensive, and wealthier than other areas of the Bay. But even within the peninsula, there are pockets of dodgy neighborhoods. The East and South Bays are marginally cheaper. The further away from the "central" Bay Area you go, the more suburban it is, and housing prices and crime rates go down. Live too far out and one could face a 2- to 3-hr one-way commute to work.

It depends what one wants or what one is used to. Drive everywhere? Access to public transportation? Big city? Or suburban sprawl? Or something in between? Diversity? Culture? Space?"

Old 01-30-2008, 01:02 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,288,997 times
You still have to be careful in some parts of North Oakland. There are different parts of North Oakland. The area of North Oakland around South Berkeley is pretty rough and is a pretty large area.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:42 AM

108 posts, read 281,641 times
Could you elaborate on the rougher parts of North Oakland, City Boy? Want to know because am moving to Emeryville, right where it borders Berkeley and Oakland (67th st. right off San Pablo ave). thanks

Old 01-31-2008, 03:45 PM

256 posts, read 1,403,458 times
id say live in down by redwood city,belmont, or even san carlos itself if your going to be working there... all much better places then the city and they are caltrain rides away to go visit

Old 01-31-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorman View Post
Could you elaborate on the rougher parts of North Oakland, City Boy? Want to know because am moving to Emeryville, right where it borders Berkeley and Oakland (67th st. right off San Pablo ave). thanks
That is not a great area... thats pretty much where he is talking about

Old 01-31-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilveRose View Post
Sure hunters point has alot of crime relating to gun violence but it has a much lower crime rate than mission, igleside, and even the sunset district. though I haven't seen any crimes around my area, and i live in a shabby part of the hunters point area. I've lived here for majority of my life and have not been a "victum" of the area.
NO.... your wrong... and if you believe what you just said your crazy... HP is the most dangerous place in the city besides Sunnydale

Old 01-31-2008, 06:54 PM

463 posts, read 646,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Okay, now you're just confusing me... I maintain that your comments are very inconsistent, LOL. I'd much rather live here than in Richmond, so you're probably right either way.
Yea lol put down the doobie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland