Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 07:40 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Yea lol put down the doobie.
Sorry, it was a fat one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 01:01 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
OK let's say I buy a starter house at, say, 3rd & Palou. Heart of the Bayview in every sense. What sorts of things would I see? What could I expect? Does it have anything in common with the rest of San Francisco?

Old 02-01-2008, 02:48 PM

409 posts, read 1,830,489 times
Drive down to 3rd and Palou. Park your car, get out, walk the neighborhood all day. Then you tell us.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:03 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorman View Post
Could you elaborate on the rougher parts of North Oakland, City Boy? Want to know because am moving to Emeryville, right where it borders Berkeley and Oakland (67th st. right off San Pablo ave). thanks
That is the area, it's not great. 60s through 40th (Borders West Oakland/Rough Emeryville area) Drive Down Market it takes you through the heart of North Oakland.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:43 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
OK let's say I buy a starter house at, say, 3rd & Palou. Heart of the Bayview in every sense. What sorts of things would I see? What could I expect? Does it have anything in common with the rest of San Francisco?
That's just down the street from me, and right about where my gym is... I've never had a problem there during the day, but I usually avoid heading that direction after dark! If you're RIGHT on 3rd st., it shouldn't be too bad, but I wouldn't recommend living deeper into Bayview/HP. As for what you might see, there's a lot of drug & gang activity, but it's not exactly like "Boyz N the Hood" or anything... you'll just see sketchy people pushing drugs on the corner, police arresting them occasionally, and lots of homeless. I've personally never seen any gunplay, but have heard pop-pops late at night - and there were supposedly 20 murders there last year (or was that all of SF??). I did work at the Bayview library a few times as a sub, and the people who came in were perfectly nice and friendly, with no real incidents.

As for what it has in common with the rest of SF, you still have decent public transportation, a few good restaurants (mostly soul food/BBQ, Mexican & Chinese), and the weather... but it's actually warmer & sunnier than western or northern SF, though we do get some HEAVY winds from the Bay. One positive thing about this neighborhood is the light traffic and readily available parking, unless you're near Monster Park during a 49ers game. We also have the new T-Third line, which takes you downtown in about 15 minutes. So it's not all bad in Bayview!

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-01-2008 at 04:51 PM..

Old 02-01-2008, 09:16 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Pretty much like Gizmo said. I've never lived in the area, but used to work at 3rd and Custer, and take classes at the City College southeast campus at Oakdale and Phelps just a couple blocks away from 3rd and Palou.

In addition to plenty of regular people, expect cars with 20 inch rims, tinted windows and subwoofers blasting, speeding around. People doing donuts in intersections, drug dealing on some corners, some shady people walking around, hanging out, the random crackhead wandering around...and hearing gunshots. It basically gets worse the closer you get to the projects are up on the hill. When I worked there (which was more on the edge where the warehouses and light industry begins), I heard gunshots at night pretty regularly, and we had to park trucks with their backs against the wall at night so that crackheads and bums wouldn't sleep in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That's just down the street from me, and right about where my gym is... I've never had a problem there during the day, but I usually avoid heading that direction after dark! If you're RIGHT on 3rd st., it shouldn't be too bad, but I wouldn't recommend living deeper into Bayview/HP. As for what you might see, there's a lot of drug & gang activity, but it's not exactly like "Boyz N the Hood" or anything... you'll just see sketchy people pushing drugs on the corner, police arresting them occasionally, and lots of homeless. I've personally never seen any gunplay, but have heard pop-pops late at night - and there were supposedly 20 murders there last year (or was that all of SF??). I did work at the Bayview library a few times as a sub, and the people who came in were perfectly nice and friendly, with no real incidents.

As for what it has in common with the rest of SF, you still have decent public transportation, a few good restaurants (mostly soul food/BBQ, Mexican & Chinese), and the weather... but it's actually warmer & sunnier than western or northern SF, though we do get some HEAVY winds from the Bay. One positive thing about this neighborhood is the light traffic and readily available parking, unless you're near Monster Park during a 49ers game. We also have the new T-Third line, which takes you downtown in about 15 minutes. So it's not all bad in Bayview!
There were 21 murders in Hunters Point last year, and 98 in SF. The neighborhood has around 30,000 residents, 20-30 murders a year. There were 6 murders in a 5 block radius of 3rd and Palou, and around 18 or 20 within a 1 mile radius.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:46 AM

14 posts, read 84,236 times
I am nearing 40 and lived half my life in SF and other half in NYC in Manhattan.

I much rather deal with 800,000+200,000 not accounted for in SF.

Than deal with 8 million+ God only knows how many unaccounted there is in NYC.

I walked the worse of both Cities NYC I lived in Manhatten and the worse of SF I live near japan town and Van ness and by far NYC is alot worse and dangerous to walk in a bad area just because in NYC alot of bad areas seem to go on forever.

The biggest worse part of the city is on the outer part of SF right next to 49ers park,Hunters point after that the rest bad areas are 4-8 sq blocks or 1-3 block on one street. Also alot less live in worse areas now due to the higher rise 5-8 story brick bulidings.

I just had a 73 yrs old friend almost beating to death in SF by a unstable men living on the stret out of his meds due to money just snaped and I still say its just like all big cities there crimes.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:42 PM

272 posts, read 784,461 times
Thanks rah for telling it like it IS.....

Old 02-08-2008, 04:52 PM

639 posts, read 1,043,756 times
Well the weekend is here again so lets see if the Bay View/Hunters Point,areas lights up the death charts at the city morgue again unless it's the Filmores turn.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:49 AM

341 posts, read 902,607 times
Oh Lord Have Mercy! I am born and raised in San Francisco, my parents and family members are from New York.

New York is far worse than San Francisco. No matter how much people wanna think Guliani did something, there are always going to be over a dozen neighborhoods in the 5 boroughs that you do not want to go in.

As long as you don't **** anybody off, stay out of people's ways, and don't venture into Sunnydale, Bayview, The Mission (after dark), and certain areas of The Tenderloin, you should fine!

Last edited by KRISTINsf; 02-13-2008 at 05:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland