Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 09:59 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc123 View Post
While Alameda does not have rail access, it has ferry access which is even better. I live in Harbor Bay and work in San Francisco along the Embarcadero. The ferry takes 30 minutes, is never late, and taking a boat to and from work is unbeatable in my opinion.
This really depends on where you live on Alameda. My wife has a friend who lives on the easternmost section of Alameda and commutes in to the Powell BART station - it takes her roughly an hour on BART and a little longer if using the Ferry. It would be a little easier for the ferry if they could find a place to rent on the western side of Alameda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 10:14 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2quilt View Post
Thank you everyone. I'm curious about something else. We have friends who live in Novato. What would it be like to commute from there to the Embarcadero BART-I know the BART doesn't run there. How would you commute in? How long would it take?
You could live in Marin, and take the ferry to the Embarcadero. But finding something affordable in Marin could be a little challenging, and as is generally true in the Bay Area, you'll need to scale down your space requirements to fit your budget. Novato, also Fairfax, could work for you. From there, you'll have a drive to the ferry, then the roughly 30-min. ferry ride, which people find really relaxing. There's no traffic, and on the way back, there's a bar, for unwinding and socializing. There are also Golden Gate Transit buses for commuters, but the ferry is better.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:50 AM

901 posts, read 1,167,164 times
Getting to the ferry on 101 from Novato in the AM won't be too bad if you leave before 7:30am or so, but the reverse commute would be hairy, depending on time of day. Can you leave work at 3pm? I wouldn't want to do it regularly. Time-wise, it is long, you're looking at over 1 hour at a minimum just to get to Embarcadero, I think. GG transit bus is actually a little slower but you can read. You can look at ferry and bus schedules online. Fairfax is no faster than Novato, and if you have to deal with Francis Drake at rush hour, it's slower.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:38 AM

308 posts, read 467,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
This really depends on where you live on Alameda. My wife has a friend who lives on the easternmost section of Alameda and commutes in to the Powell BART station - it takes her roughly an hour on BART and a little longer if using the Ferry. It would be a little easier for the ferry if they could find a place to rent on the western side of Alameda.
I live on the east end and find access to Harbor Bay Ferry really easy to access. Usually about a 5-10 minute drive (or bike) to the Ferry terminal and it's just 30 minutes across the bay. BART could be longer. If you don't use a car at all in your commute to SF (via ferry or BART), then taking the Transbay busses are best option. 30 minutes average on that and they run as frequent as every 10 minutes during commute and often stop just a couple blocks for most locations in Alameda.

Definitely rent first and figure out what and where you like in the Bay Area.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:51 PM

213 posts, read 252,420 times
Dublin area has excellent schools and a BART station. Ditto with Castro Valley area (just make sure you get into the right school district). There are houses in the 700k range over there.

Do note that if you buy into a million dollar house your property tax rates are going to be quite high (around 15,000 a year) so budget accordingly.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:00 AM

57 posts, read 147,712 times
Upon looking closer at Alameda, I like it. Are there areas that are better/worse in terms of neighborhoods and crime? Particularly anywhere to stay away from? I like the sounds of San Leandro also and the Lamorinda towns are appealing. Lamorinda may be too small and rural seeming for us after living in a very dense metropolitan place in Asia. The place we have been living the last few years is also incredibly
diverse.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:55 AM

901 posts, read 1,167,164 times
Quick note - in addition to its lack of diversity, Lamorinda will have a much more upscale feel than Alameda, and another step below that is San Leandro. Long term, I think any town with a BART station will change substantially in the direction of gentrification...even Hayward and Richmond (which are the two lowest income inner-bay-area towns with stations)

Old 06-06-2015, 10:58 AM

520 posts, read 610,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
Quick note - in addition to its lack of diversity, Lamorinda will have a much more upscale feel than Alameda, and another step below that is San Leandro. Long term, I think any town with a BART station will change substantially in the direction of gentrification...even Hayward and Richmond (which are the two lowest income inner-bay-area towns with stations)
I agree, both with your descriptions and the forecasts for towns along BART. Richmond will also benefit from the opening of UC Berkeley's global campus there (which has some local folks in Richmond concerned about gentrification). I don't think gentrification's at all there yet in Richmond, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it over the long run. The biggest obstacle with Richmond isn't crime (it's already safer than Oakland), but the Chevron refinery. Although Benicia and some SoCal towns have done well with refineries nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland