Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 10:14 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
The wind chill is ridiculous, it's gotta be windier here than Chicago.
Nope. Go to Chicago in December and you'll yearn for SF. 20 mph sustained wind when it's 15 degrees will do more than chill you to the bone.

I absolutely love Chicago, but those winters make SF summers feel tropical. I moved to SF from Orlando, and I am loving this SF weather. If I don't want to feel chilly, I can just BART out to Walnut Creek or Pleasanton and hang out there for a day to get the sunny and 80+ temps. You can't escape the wind and cold in Chi-town in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 11:39 AM

376 posts, read 653,966 times
I'm 26 like you and live across the bay in Alameda, lived here all my life. For your COL comparison etc. I am not sure you considered NOT living in Sf? Or is that the point of coming here? Your dollar goes a lot further in the East Bay, meaning Oakland, Alameda, Berkeley.

I also found you post of interest because I am considering also switching coasts in the opposite direction, West to East. Sort of same you said- new adventure, new challenge, hopefully grow as a person, not to mention the COL is INSANE here, I know it is in DC though too. My points of interest are Charlotte and Raleigh NC so far.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:06 PM

505 posts, read 368,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ippi76 View Post
Your dollar goes a lot further in the East Bay, meaning Oakland, Alameda, Berkeley.
Not all that much further, not really. I lived in Oakland from 2004-2011, moved to the south bay for awhile, and then returned to Oakland for a couple more years before that house was sold (I was renting). Both of those times I saw the overall COL rise, moderately the first time, then even more steeply the second time I was up there. Rents around the Lake Merritt area have already gone up substantially; the last area I lived in was over by the Oakland stadium. I saw houses being purchased in the 'hood for well over the seller's asking prices.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved living in the East Bay but it's quickly becoming more and more pricy as spillover from SF sets up shop there. This includes cities all down 880S (San Leandro, Hayward, Fremont, etc.) and inland from Castro Valley all the way out to Livermore.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:26 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Oakland has gone up a lot and is still much more expensive than the national average. On top of that it has all the SF problems but x3.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:31 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epichero83 View Post
Oh boy. Cut to me at 26. (I will be 32 soon). Here's my quarter life crisis story:

I was 26 too thinking about making a big move. I'm from San Diego and had only lived in So Cal my entire life. I yearned for something different. I had an okay job but I needed to see something different so off to DC I went. My partner at the time moved to Dupont/Logan for work. I desperately needed a change of scenery from the laid-back, skater, surfer vibe that permeates San Diego, and found DC to be refreshingly academic and self-aware. Of course, there are those douchey-types who are all about their job titles. Alas, in big cities there will always be those types (even in SF).
That's funny. I was like you and did the exact opposite move for the exact opposite reasons. Loooooooooooove San Diego!

Last edited by Cardiff Kook; 06-04-2015 at 02:36 PM..

Old 06-04-2015, 03:47 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
OP, you can easily afford to live in the East Bay on your current salary, let alone with a COL adjustment. And you can get a good condo or townhome around there for far less than 1/2 mil, and you can get a nice 2-br. with sun porch & other add-ons + nice yard in Albany for 1/2 mil. Or you can pick up a nice foreclosed home for half that. Don't worry about it so much; you'll be fine, if the startup you're working for actually pans out, that is.

Gawd, I'd never be able to live in the hot, humid summers in DC, which begin in May already. Not to mention the freezing, sloppy winters. But, to each his own. It's your life, your call.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:34 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Moving from a city like DC to Albany is taking a BIG step backwards.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:08 AM

3 posts, read 3,199 times
I should clarify - I definitely am not thinking that I need to live in the city proper to be satisfied here. East Bay looks like it’d be where I’d land - been trolling Zillow quite a bit looking around Oakland and Berkeley…honestly, the prices they have listed up there still don’t impress me much. Aside from a couple of listings for decently sized places around $1600-$1800, everything’s still north of $2k unless you want to live in downtown Oakland, and I’ve heard no small number of people suggest not to do that if I didn’t have to. One of my coworkers who’s migrating from DC is staying at a place out in Lake Merritt while he looks, and he says he really likes it out there. If I ended up deciding to take the plunge, that’d probably be where I’d land, I’m thinking. Provided that I could find a 1BR under $2k. I’m not sure I’d fit into a place smaller than 600-700 square feet with my current set of furniture, but going that big (I’m in a 750 sq. ft. place now with room to spare) might be tough out here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Gawd, I'd never be able to live in the hot, humid summers in DC, which begin in May already. Not to mention the freezing, sloppy winters. But, to each his own. It's your life, your call.
It can be rough, sure. Never rougher than those summer nights where it’s north of 90 degrees and 80-90% humidity even in the pitch black night. But my favorite season by a mile is autumn, and I do love the searing heat of the summer at times, if I can get it without the humidity. Makes me feel alive. Snow is great too, until it all turns to slush. February through April sucks. I just think I’d really miss having four seasons.

Of course, maybe actually being social would be plenty enough to take my mind off it all. The women out here in SF are pretty beautiful…of course, they are in DC as much or more, but here they’re actually approachable and nice. Dating sucks in DC, it really does - at times it feels like everyone my age is looking for a rich 40+ year old sugar daddy, and everybody younger still lives like they’re in a college dorm. Or with their parents. :-P So, so hard to find somebody to be with, even with the raw numbers tilted in my favor. Might end up being the deciding factor, TBH, which city ends up being better for singles. As long as I get the economics under control (and you’ve all been pretty helpful there), it’d just be about ease of meeting new people.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:57 AM

901 posts, read 1,168,376 times
I have heard it said that dating sucks in NYC, LA, SF, DC....you name it. I personally didn't enjoy dating in the three of those places I lived until I got to a different place in my life. And then I met my wife here. But realistically, it's a numbers game, and one should do better in a larger city assuming an equal social network.

People who have never lived East don't know how great spring and fall are, they just think it's snowing or sweltering. And warm summer nights, summer rains, are amazing. Yes, Jan - Mar I was sick of the winter though, but as one gets older you get busier. Overall I love the climate here, of course.

Strongly recommend watching the HBO show, "Silicon Valley."

Old 06-05-2015, 07:28 AM

901 posts, read 1,168,376 times
Ruth's advice is generally great, but no way at all one can get the kind of quality 2 bedroom she describes anywhere where there are good schools within one hour commute of SF for less than 500k, let alone Albany. If you see such a listing, it's designed to get bids, or it has serious things wrong with it. Check sale prices and learn to look for factors like road locatiion, condition of building, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland