Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 12:50 AM

46 posts, read 65,055 times

Advertisements

I will be starting work in San Francisco and currently am living with my parents in Palo Alto. I know I can take the train, but the fast trains stop running at about 7:00 PM, which is kind of early for me (I work long hours). I also don't like relying on public transportation due to the lack of flexibility. I'm willing to try the train for a couple weeks, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience commuting between Palo Alto and San Francisco by motorcycle? How much was parking? How bad is the traffic, if lane splitting? My friend who rides a lot says he can make the trip in under 40 minutes in traffic, which would be substantially faster than having to drive to the train station, taking the train, and then walking to work.

I have experience riding, and have my license and have owned a bike before. I just want to see if it's a good idea time wise. There's no use in getting one if it takes almost as long (or longer) to ride as it would taking the train.

Any insights would help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 01:00 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Time wise it is well worth it. Gas wise it is well worth it. Money wise it is well worth it. Peace of mind wise it is well worth it.

I have made this commute for years on a motorcycle and I would not have it any other way. I take both 101 or 280 depending on my mood.

Parking has never been an issue and you can always find a free spot to park if your company does not have a spot for you.

I have been riding a very long time and am from a state where splitting lanes is not legal...CA is the only state where this is legal. When I first moved here I had zero lane splitting skills but quickly learned.

If I were you I would build up my motorcycle riding skills before attempting to split lanes. My suggestion is to ease into it if you go this route.

It's a blast commuting in rush hour traffic on a motorcycle and the better your lane splitting skills are the more enjoyable it is.

Time wise nothing compares. Always be safe and keep both wheels on the ground

I can make it sometimes in 25 minutes each way. You will be saving at least 45 minutes to 1 hour or more each way during rush hour.

Last edited by Matadora; 06-04-2015 at 01:50 AM..

Old 06-04-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Time wise it is well worth it. Gas wise it is well worth it. Money wise it is well worth it. Peace of mind wise it is well worth it.

I have made this commute for years on a motorcycle and I would not have it any other way. I take both 101 or 280 depending on my mood.

Parking has never been an issue and you can always find a free spot to park if your company does not have a spot for you.

I have been riding a very long time and am from a state where splitting lanes is not legal...CA is the only state where this is legal. When I first moved here I had zero lane splitting skills but quickly learned.

If I were you I would build up my motorcycle riding skills before attempting to split lanes. My suggestion is to ease into it if you go this route.

It's a blast commuting in rush hour traffic on a motorcycle and the better your lane splitting skills are the more enjoyable it is.

Time wise nothing compares. Always be safe and keep both wheels on the ground

I can make it sometimes in 25 minutes each way. You will be saving at least 45 minutes to 1 hour or more each way during rush hour.
Thanks for the reply! Financially it is well worth it, considering the cost of a monthly train pass + parking + gas. I haven't lane split before (only rode in Texas), but I have lane split and commuted by bicycle in some of the worst traffic in Houston, which has some horrible cyclist injury rates due to traffic there. I know bicycle =/= motorcycle, but I have some experience knowing what it's like to be on the losing end of car vs bike traffic.

I just wanted to confirm that it'd be worth getting a bike. My parents are going to flip out, but I'm 24. I think I can make my own decisions (and move out if needed!). Thanks again!

Old 06-04-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexadecimal View Post
Thanks for the reply! Financially it is well worth it, considering the cost of a monthly train pass + parking + gas. I haven't lane split before (only rode in Texas), but I have lane split and commuted by bicycle in some of the worst traffic in Houston, which has some horrible cyclist injury rates due to traffic there. I know bicycle =/= motorcycle, but I have some experience knowing what it's like to be on the losing end of car vs bike traffic.

I just wanted to confirm that it'd be worth getting a bike. My parents are going to flip out, but I'm 24. I think I can make my own decisions (and move out if needed!). Thanks again!
Interesting...that is also where I started riding motorcycles.

The money you save on gas alone is worth it. Then add on time...the time you save is worth it. There is no way to describe how it feels to spit lanes in rush hour traffic once you have solid lane splitting skills. All traffic stress is gone. You never have to sit in rush hour traffic again. It's truly a wonderful feeling!

I want to caution you (because of your age and your a guy ) to never get cocky or aggressive when lane splitting. You will have other motorcyclists who are the dare devils and want to split lanes at 80 miles per hour. That is just playing with your life. You will never have enough time to react if a cager pulls a dumb move and inches over or jerks over. Some of the dare devils will come up on your tail end when lane splitting and act impatient. Just move over and let them go on. Others will be polite and simply ride behind you until you realize that they want to get in front of you. Always be on the look out for other lane splitters...don't just veer into the lane splitting spot without making sure there is no motorcycle that has just crept up out of no where. The dare devils come out of no where and you have to watch out since some of them are very reckless. You will experience all of this. I sometimes come up on someone lane splitting much slower than I am...this is usually because they are new to it...they seldom get the hint that you want in front of them....be patient as they eventually figure it out and move over for you. You can also move to the next lane over and split that lane to try and get ahead of them...but I often find it is just not worth it. Tap your horn if they are clueless about moving over to let you pass them. Always do the friendly motorcycle wave when people move over for you.

My motto: You are in total control with respect to how safe you are on the motorcycle. Always check your tire pressure...most people riding never do this. You never know if you have picked up a nail or have a slow leak. One day the pressure it right the next day is is half. I check mine before every ride. It's nice to have an air compressor so that you can conveniently fill up your tires. I have a silent one...in my garage. Also keep chain clean, lubed and adjusted.

Do you know what type of bike you want?

Welcome to the world of lane splitting.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:33 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,791 times
Quote:

The money you save on gas alone is worth it. Then add on time...the time you save is worth it. There is no way to describe how it feels to spit lanes in rush hour traffic once you have solid lane splitting skills. All traffic stress is gone. You never have to sit in rush hour traffic again. It's truly a wonderful feeling!

I want to caution you (because of your age and your a guy ) to never get cocky or aggressive when lane splitting. You will have other motorcyclists who are the dare devils and want to split lanes at 80 miles per hour. That is just playing with your life. You will never have enough time to react if a cager pulls a dumb move and inches over or jerks over. Some of the dare devils will come up on your tail end when lane splitting and act impatient. Just move over and let them go on. Others will be polite and simply ride behind you until you realize that they want to get in front of you. Always be on the look out for other lane splitters...don't just veer into the lane splitting spot without making sure there is no motorcycle that has just crept up out of no where. The dare devils come out of no where and you have to watch out since some of them are very reckless. You will experience all of this. I sometimes come up on someone lane splitting much slower than I am...this is usually because they are new to it...they seldom get the hint that you want in front of them....be patient as they eventually figure it out and move over for you. You can also move to the next lane over and split that lane to try and get ahead of them...but I often find it is just not worth it. Tap your horn if they are clueless about moving over to let you pass them. Always do the friendly motorcycle wave when people move over for you.

My motto: You are in total control with respect to how safe you are on the motorcycle. Always check your tire pressure...most people riding never do this. You never know if you have picked up a nail or have a slow leak. One day the pressure it right the next day is is half. I check mine before every ride. It's nice to have an air compressor so that you can conveniently fill up your tires. I have a silent one...in my garage. Also keep chain clean, lubed and adjusted.

All fantastic advice. If only all motorcyclists were as sensible as you seem to be....my wife might actually not kill me if I decided to get one. Her brother is a traffic cop in NJ and all the stories he has pretty much set her mind against it completely.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
All fantastic advice. If only all motorcyclists were as sensible as you seem to be....my wife might actually not kill me if I decided to get one. Her brother is a traffic cop in NJ and all the stories he has pretty much set her mind against it completely.
Sorry she is so against it. I would never allow anyone to take that joy away from me. Riding my motorcycle is my drug of choice.

Maybe I am such a good conscientious rider due to being a female perhaps?

Before I got my motorcycle licence in TX I took a motorcycle training course even though I had been riding for several years. We had a great instructor who went over things that most never thing about.

Things like checking the tire pressure every time you leave your house or go on a long ride.

Wearing appropriate gear and the color of the gear. Why be all black and stealth looking? This makes you less visible to cars especially at night. You want to be visible on a motorcycle not dark and stealth.

I sometimes see guys with half helmets, half gloves, wearing shorts and flip flops. This is not safe motorcycling. In fact is is quite stupid.

Think about it...if you go down on your bike and are sliding across the pavement...you don't want your face, hands or body to be sliding across that pavement unprotected. Your fingers and feet will be trying to stop your momentum and without gloves on you will most likely loose a few fingers or severely damage your feet if not wearing quality motorcycle boots.

The thing a lot of new riders never think about is proper protection. You will end up spending a lot of money for the proper riding gear but to me it is worth it as this is all you have to protect yourself. Factor this in when purchasing a bike. Why buy a $70 helmet for your head? It will crack open in an instant. The safety course will go over the importance of all the gear and show you what happens when you skimp on the gear.

Never think you are 10 feet tall and bullet proof on a motorcycle. I have a very fast sport bike and yes I do ride fast on it but only when I can do so safely. I am always aware that I am not seen by most cars...and I tailor my riding to fit this awareness.

Safe riding makes it more fun!

Old 06-04-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the fantastic reply! I rode for almost a year while I was in grad school in Austin. Parking was so cheap and convenient it made less sense to not get a bike, and I had always wanted one. I just didn't tell my parents because I didn't feel like explaining it to them. I was always careful, and never got on the bike without a full face helmet, jacket and gloves. I also always wore jeans and sturdy shoes, though this time I am going to get real motorcycle overpants and boots to be covered head to toe. I always was aware that I was the smaller person on the road and rode defensively because of it.

My main problem right now is convincing my parents. They are extremely cautious worriers, and don't even like the fact that I commute by bicycle, so a motorcycle will definitely be a no-go with them. I will probably just buy a bike and show them that I have all the safety gear. I also have a (almost) clean driving record with no accidents, so I hope that'll help them get on board with it. The problem I've seen is that so many people don't wear the proper safety gear and ride far too fast as you've stated, and that causes problems, which gives motorcycling a bad reputation.

As for the bike I want, my heart says 02-03 Honda CBR954RR, but the practical side says Yamaha FZ6 or Suzuki SV650S. I'm also looking at something in between, like a CBR600RR. I need to test ride a few before I can make up my mind. I really don't want a 150 HP liter bike for commuting, but something about the 954 just draws me to it.

I'm also considering a supermoto, but those are a bit more expensive, so I'm not quite sure right now.

By the way, on the off chance that I do move out of my parents house (even though I just moved in...), I'd likely end up near San Jose. Would riding from SJ to SF every day (around 60 miles I guess?) be asking too much?

Thanks!

Old 06-04-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the fantastic reply! I rode for almost a year while I was in grad school in Austin. Parking was so cheap and convenient it made less sense to not get a bike, and I had always wanted one. I just didn't tell my parents because I didn't feel like explaining it to them. I was always careful, and never got on the bike without a full face helmet, jacket and gloves. I also always wore jeans and sturdy shoes, though this time I am going to get real motorcycle overpants and boots to be covered head to toe. I always was aware that I was the smaller person on the road and rode defensively because of it.

My main problem right now is convincing my parents. They are extremely cautious worriers, and don't even like the fact that I commute by bicycle, so a motorcycle will definitely be a no-go with them. I will probably just buy a bike and show them that I have all the safety gear. I also have a (almost) clean driving record with no accidents, so I hope that'll help them get on board with it. The problem I've seen is that so many people don't wear the proper safety gear and ride far too fast as you've stated, and that causes problems, which gives motorcycling a bad reputation.

As for the bike I want, my heart says 02-03 Honda CBR954RR, but the practical side says Yamaha FZ6 or Suzuki SV650S. I'm also looking at something in between, like a CBR600RR. I need to test ride a few before I can make up my mind. I really don't want a 150 HP liter bike for commuting, but something about the 954 just draws me to it.

I'm also considering a supermoto, but those are a bit more expensive, so I'm not quite sure right now.

By the way, on the off chance that I do move out of my parents house (even though I just moved in...), I'd likely end up near San Jose. Would riding from SJ to SF every day (around 60 miles I guess?) be asking too much?

Thanks!
You are very welcome

I have an FZ6R and I love it! Yes forget the leaning over the tank Honda! I have test ridden the Kawasaki Ninja and it was horrible...after 5 minutes I wanted off of it. I have test ridden a BMW and Ducati. Meh nothing special and Ducati just sucks as a bike in general...sorry Ducati lovers. The Ducati that I test drove only had a 3.5 gallon tank. I would not want a bike unless it had at least a 4.5-5 gallon tank.

Yamaha makes an excellent bike. I am short so the FZ6R is a perfect fit for me. What I love about the Yamaha bikes are they are built for shorties and the gas tanks are larger. The FZ6R is so smooth as well.

Commuting from SJ to SF I think would be tough and on days you can't ride due to the weather you will regret that commute...although it will be rare that you can't ride due to the weather. I have a heated jacket liner due to growing up in a warm/hot state I get really cold easily on my bike.

You would certainly build up stamina for a long commute but I don't think I would like that long term. For a few years I could handle it as I have in the past. I would not recommend it and we are supposed to have a very wet winter this year.

My partner is selling his FZ8...He missed having the FJR and he bought one last year. His FZ8 is just hogging up our garage. You are welcome to come and look at it. Just DM me if you are interested.

It is so exciting buying a new motorcycle and it sounds like you are going to be a good and safe rider. I hope you can make it work out with your folks. Tell them you have met a female who has ridden a long time and has never had an accident since moving to the Bay Area and splitting lanes.

Maybe you can also take a motorcycle safety course to help ease your parents mind. Make the best score in the class and really impress them.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
You are very welcome

I have an FZ6R and I love it! Yes forget the leaning over the tank Honda! I have test ridden the Kawasaki Ninja and it was horrible...after 5 minutes I wanted off of it. I have test ridden a BMW and Ducati. Meh nothing special and Ducati just sucks as a bike in general...sorry Ducati lovers. The Ducati that I test drove only had a 3.5 gallon tank. I would not want a bike unless it had at least a 4.5-5 gallon tank.

Yamaha makes an excellent bike. I am short so the FZ6R is a perfect fit for me. What I love about the Yamaha bikes are they are built for shorties and the gas tanks are larger. The FZ6R is so smooth as well.

Commuting from SJ to SF I think would be tough and on days you can't ride due to the weather you will regret that commute...although it will be rare that you can't ride due to the weather. I have a heated jacket liner due to growing up in a warm/hot state I get really cold easily on my bike.

You would certainly build up stamina for a long commute but I don't think I would like that long term. For a few years I could handle it as I have in the past. I would not recommend it and we are supposed to have a very wet winter this year.

My partner is selling his FZ8...He missed having the FJR and he bought one last year. His FZ8 is just hogging up our garage. You are welcome to come and look at it. Just DM me if you are interested.

It is so exciting buying a new motorcycle and it sounds like you are going to be a good and safe rider. I hope you can make it work out with your folks. Tell them you have met a female who has ridden a long time and has never had an accident since moving to the Bay Area and splitting lanes.

Maybe you can also take a motorcycle safety course to help ease your parents mind. Make the best score in the class and really impress them.
Funny enough, I took the MSF when I was 22 (again, without telling my parents... d'oh), and out of the ~20 or so people in the class, I got the best score in the class with 0 mistakes.

I don't know if bringing that up would help, but I could certainly try...

Old 06-04-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Funny enough, I took the MSF when I was 22 (again, without telling my parents... d'oh), and out of the ~20 or so people in the class, I got the best score in the class with 0 mistakes.

I don't know if bringing that up would help, but I could certainly try...
How about that! I took it in Austin and scored a 4...the lower the score the better. I made the best score in the class!

Maybe take an advanced safety course training?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland