Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 02:50 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
See? That's why it's relevant to note the last time someone rode BART. I believe the cloth was all gone by 2012. I was a daily BART rider in late 2011-mid 2012 and remember the first few cars getting the vinyl on my trains.
Nope you don't have your facts straight. When I rode last year it had cloth seats.

Quote:
The last of the wool seats followed the wooly mammoth into extinction at exactly 10:50 a.m. on December 30, 2014. BART utility workers yanked out the grimy seat and replaced it with pristine vinyl under the watchful eyes of a few interested reporters and to the delight of tens of thousands of BART riders.
http://archives.sfexaminer.com/sanfr...nt?oid=2915461

https://www.bart.gov/news/articles/2015/news20150102

You can change out the cloth seats but you still can't control the junkies and drugged out people from using the floor and the seats as their own personal toilet.

It's not enjoyable for most people to have sit next to a junkie who is fading in and out and who smells like a Porta John.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 02:54 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
And many bring their third would living standards with them, which is why you see so many outdated and lack of modern housing amenities in SF.

I agree...LA would be a much more enjoyable city to live in.
Perhaps. Though if, like Andy stated, you are seeking to leave the Bay Area suburbs, LA probably doesn't offer much by way of a different environment.

If you move, you should also note that the LA area is sometimes called "The Southland". This does not mean it is The South, as in the region around Mississippi, Arkansas, etc. Google might snip part of the definition on you...

Old 07-15-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Perhaps. Though if, like Andy stated, you are seeking to leave the Bay Area suburbs, LA probably doesn't offer much by way of a different environment.

If you move, you should also note that the LA area is sometimes called "The Southland". This does not mean it is The South, as in the region around Mississippi, Arkansas, etc. Google might snip part of the definition on you...
You don't represent LA.

I don't need your advice on moving anywhere or your opinions of LA.

I am fairly certain that my experiences in LA over the past 30 years have been quite different than yours.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:04 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times
Quote:
Nope you don't have your facts straight. When I rode last year it had cloth seats.

You can change out the cloth seats but you still can't control the junkies and drugged out people from using the floor and the seats as their own personal toilet.

It's not enjoyable for most people to have sit next to a junkie who is fading in and out and who smells like a Porta John.
See, that wasn't so hard. So it was a year ago, when there were still cloth seats. Hmm... The cloth seats were really few and far between a year ago. BART had been rapidly replacing them for almost two years at that point. I was no longer a frequent rider by then, but never saw a cloth seat again, though I concede a few cars on a few trains may have still had them.

Seems like an incredibly bad coincidence to get one of the few cars with cloth AND witnessing someone using the seats as a toilet with your own eyes.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:23 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:

Uh oh. More potty talk.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:57 PM

540 posts, read 652,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Yeah. It's definitely cleaner than BART, and MUCH cleaner than MUNI.
Much cleaner than BART? That's laughable. The Amount of people that ride the NY Subway's makes that not possible.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:02 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I'm wondering how long it will be before some of you realize those cloth seats no longer exist on any BART train.
I'm not oblivious, I just don't believe the vinyl seats are that much more hygienic FWIW.
Also, I don't trust that the cars are being thoroughly cleaned every day.

And as I said, "problems with SF" is not limited to the public transportation here. Just latched onto it because it was mentioned. Homeless, housing (or lack thereof), wasteful spending, political corruption, traffic, crime, NIMBYism- take your pick, guys.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:03 PM

337 posts, read 405,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
Much cleaner than BART? That's laughable. The Amount of people that ride the NY Subway's makes that not possible.
For the millions of people that use it everyday and how efficient, reliable and cheaper it is, the NYC subway IS relatively cleaner and better maintained.

Have you visited the new subway station under the Freedom Tower? That station is AMAZING.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:08 PM

540 posts, read 652,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crouching_tiger View Post
For the millions of people that use it everyday and how efficient, reliable and cheaper it is, the NYC subway IS relatively cleaner and better maintained.

Have you visited the new subway station under the Freedom Tower? That station is AMAZING.
None of that has anything to do with how clean it is. Yes it's more reliable, runs 24 hours and is well managed. But there is nothing "Clean" about that subway system. I never see rats on the Bart Platforms, you can't ride the subway without your rat encounters. With the Bart having hard seats now, you can't say NY subways are cleaner.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
See, that wasn't so hard. So it was a year ago, when there were still cloth seats. Hmm... The cloth seats were really few and far between a year ago. BART had been rapidly replacing them for almost two years at that point. I was no longer a frequent rider by then, but never saw a cloth seat again, though I concede a few cars on a few trains may have still had them.

Seems like an incredibly bad coincidence to get one of the few cars with cloth AND witnessing someone using the seats as a toilet with your own eyes.
The thing you are missing is it's not the cloth seats that are the only issue. It's the filth that rides on these systems. Just last week one squatted and peed on a train my friend was on.

Getting rid of the cloth seats will not end the filth and health hazards that happens unsuspectingly.

It's not a bad coincidence...it's simply something that can happen and does happen.

How about this...go and read the blogs on that BART link I posted.

I suspect that you will also try to make excuses for their experiences as usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland