Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 04:22 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,246,839 times

Advertisements

i've visited several times. its nice to look at but there are far too many negatives.

you can't really drive the same way you can in LA and public transportation sucks. taking the bus? no thanks. if it doesn't have a proper metro system, it sucks. it has to be like NYC.

so you can't drive and the public transportation sucks.

and then u add the fact that it's wayyyy too hilly so good luck walking a couple of blocks in 70 degree hills let alone ride your bike.

there are other negatives like weather, homeless people, cost, etc. but those everyone is already aware of.

i just dont know what the appeal is to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 04:28 PM

238 posts, read 302,501 times
for some, the weather is ideal. i love the weather here year round. i do not like hot and humid summers. i live in an area that is clear and sunny most days. i rarely use heat and i don't have AC.

the city is stunningly beautiful but i suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

indeed, it is expensive to live here. i cannot argue that point.

for some the public transit is just fine. others drive. others bike just fine and can avoid the hills when possible.

many people cannot fathom living many places. so, just let people enjoy what they want.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:54 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,038,659 times
I love visiting San Francisco but I also wouldn't want to live there. It's beautiful from a distance, but at street level it's downright gritty and rundown in many areas. I actually agree with a lot of the negative perceptions the OP has. I still like many more things about the city than I dislike though.

The fact is though that SF is only 49 sq. miles, which is only a tiny little portion of the Bay Area. The Bay Area as a whole is a great place to live despite the congestion/traffic and high cost of living. Most of the Bay Area also has vastly better weather than SF itself.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:08 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Moderator cut: see note

My fave area is around GG Park and the Richmond District; flat, great for walking, lots of Russians and Russian food, good Chinese restaurants, too, and last, but by no means least, the Beach! I like the Embarcadero area downtown, too. And next time I'm over there, I need to check out the Presidio.

So much to do, so much to see. If you think SF has nothing to offer, life in Seattle a few years. That'll cure you of your myopia.

Last edited by Count David; 07-17-2015 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: unnecessarily rude

Old 07-16-2015, 05:21 PM

569 posts, read 780,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
i've visited several times. its nice to look at but there are far too many negatives.

you can't really drive the same way you can in LA and public transportation sucks. taking the bus? no thanks. if it doesn't have a proper metro system, it sucks. it has to be like NYC.

and then u add the fact that it's wayyyy too hilly so good luck walking a couple of blocks in 70 degree hills let alone ride your bike.

there are other negatives like weather, homeless people, cost, etc. but those everyone is already aware of.

I was reading without reading the OP's location thinking "Only someone from L.A. would write this."
  • One of the best things about of SF is not having to drive everywhere. Since many people often only use them for road trips, they can use rideshare services and don't have to even own a car.
  • Public transportation could always be better, but is pretty damn good, IMO. Between street cars, buses, BART and cable cars, you can get in/out/around SF efficiently.
  • SF is a VERY walkable city, hills and all. I walk the hills nearly every day. It beats the hell out of driving to a gym just to get a stair-climber.
  • I'll give you that bicycles are pretty impractical in the hilly areas, but as said about, the entire city isn't hilly

Old 07-16-2015, 05:26 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post
  • One of the best things about of SF is not having to drive everywhere. Since many people often only use them for road trips, they can use rideshare services and don't have to even own a car.
  • Public transportation could always be better, but is pretty damn good, IMO. Between street cars, buses, BART and cable cars, you can get in/out/around SF efficiently.
    [*]SF is a VERY walkable city, hills and all. I walk the hills nearly every day. It beats the hell out of driving to a gym just to get a stair-climber.
  • I'll give you that bicycles are pretty impractical in the hilly areas, but as said about, the entire city isn't hilly
Plus, there are all those cool hidden stairways and little short-cut paths between neighborhoods, some really scenic ones! SF is great to explore on foot that way.

Definitely, one of the city's pluses is that it's not over-run with freeways. It's the anti-LA, and that's a good thing.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:14 PM

901 posts, read 1,167,720 times
Fantastic parks, it's really the only thing I miss since I moved to the 'burbs. The hills create great views. Yes, the transit situation is surprisingly bad.

Air currents keep the air fresh, especially in the foggy parts of the city. The fog rolling in is spectacular, I never tired of watching it.

If you're complaining about homeless people, that's a national problem, and you really don't belong in a city then. Stick to where your sensibilities won't be offended by human suffering. Good luck on that one.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:35 PM

378 posts, read 441,507 times
Default Tech Jobs.

Quote:

When you grow up you will understand.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:59 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,184,775 times
Pretty subjective. I prefer Oakland over SF. Varied reasons that are personal to me. OP, stop worrying what others think of you!!! Relax. It's okay to not like a city for whatever reason. Heck, it's not like SF is exactly begging for MORE people. LOL

Old 07-17-2015, 12:09 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:

Because they work for a financial or technology firm during a huge economic boom time and will make far more money a year than you'll see in a decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland