Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 02:26 PM

6 posts, read 4,197 times

Advertisements

A hot water pipe busted under the floor in my apartment. the hot water has started to create bubbling in the flooring as well as the floor is extremely hot. To hot to walk on barefoot. The hot floor has also made it very hard for us to sleep or function in the house. You have to walk thru my living room to get to the main door.

The landlord says I could stay with family if I don't think this is safe while they do work. Tomorrow he will start to dig up all the flooring and the concrete. I don't have family to accommodate my family of five. My youngest is 9 months old and I cant let him near the hot floor. When he got close to it he jumped and cried.

Its so hot in my house. I asked the land lord to check us into a hotel asap. he is hesitant. I asked him about his property insurance and he says he cant use them for whatever reason. I told him I do not want a rent discount. I just need a place for my family to stay until they are done. he says the work will take 3-5 day starting tomorrow. but i refuse to stay there another night with the dangerous floor.

I'm trying to find out why he is being so hesitant to help us. The leak has spread all over the living room. It feels like you are walking on hot coals. When they start the work there will be concrete holes in the grown and they will also have to replace the flooring in the whole apartment because he doesn't have access to the matching flooring.

Am i wrong for demanding to be put in a hotel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 03:07 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,779 times
If you were smart enough to get renters insurance, you insurance will cover your hotel stay. The landlord is not required to put you up in a hotel. He can not charge you rent for the time the unit is uninhabitable.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:21 PM

Thank you I didn't know that. I will take the rent adjustment. If he offers. I'm not sure where we can stay. I didn't have renters insurance. How should the rent adjustment work. Should he refund me or take it off of next month

Old 07-21-2015, 03:27 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Keep your hotel receipts! Renters insurance is really cheap!

Old 07-21-2015, 03:33 PM

Should I sign up now, for renters insurance? Before he starts the work

Old 07-21-2015, 06:33 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMBERS1987 View Post
Should I sign up now, for renters insurance? Before he starts the work
You can buy it now, but I think it would be fraud to file a claim for something that happened before you purchased coverage. I would ask the landlord to work with you and put temporary flooring on top of the damaged parts of the floor to protect you and your children, a few sheets of plywood would probably mitigate most of the problem.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:39 PM

Yes I see. I understand. Thank you to the post you guys have sent me. I've talk to him and he has agreed to discount 350 from the rent next month and we will stay with a friend for 2nights. Thank you all

Old 07-21-2015, 07:08 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Get his offer IN WRITING!

Old 07-22-2015, 08:39 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMBERS1987 View Post
Yes I see. I understand. Thank you to the post you guys have sent me. I've talk to him and he has agreed to discount 350 from the rent next month and we will stay with a friend for 2nights. Thank you all
the discount should be prorated for the amount of time the unit is uninhabitable. So if you're monthly rent is $2,000 and you cannot use the unit for 5 days the discount should be roughly $67 per day or $334 (2,000/30)

Do get renters insurance - but they will not pay for something that already happened. But it will help protect you next time, you will need to read the terms carefully to make sure what you want (like hotel reimbursement) is covered as not all companies have the same terms.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:05 AM

434 posts, read 1,018,643 times
The Coalition for Economic Survival sponsors free tenants rights clinics, that allow renters to consult with attorneys. Details:

CES Tenants' Rights Clinic

I suggest arriving early, if you decide to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland