U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you enjoy living in San Francisco?
Yes, of course.... 18 36.73%
Meh, it's alright.... 10 20.41%
No, not at all.... 21 42.86%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 09:30 AM

779 posts, read 780,836 times

Advertisements

Do you enjoy living in San Francisco?
Rate this post positively

Old 07-22-2015, 10:44 AM

5,625 posts, read 7,018,774 times
I voted "No, not at all", but that's only because I live in Oakland and I like it better there anyway

Old 07-22-2015, 07:24 PM

22,588 posts, read 21,488,239 times
I voted "meh" because I'm tired of all the problems plaguing the city combined with the high cost of living. However, I didn't put 'not at all' because San Francisco and the surrounding areas does have a lot of great stuff to offer. I've enjoyed my time living here, but the honeymoon is gone and I'm ready to move on, but I will look back positively.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:32 PM

18,631 posts, read 6,438,794 times
I have lived in San Francisco for over 40 years, and I like it very much.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:43 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,274,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
You are institutionalized

Outside of city-data forum I have seen very few people who actually enjoy living in SF. Most of the population is transient and leave after realizing in a few years that the hype is not worth it!

Old 07-22-2015, 09:20 PM

17,760 posts, read 10,187,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
You are institutionalized

Outside of city-data forum I have seen very few people who actually enjoy living in SF. Most of the population is transient and leave after realizing in a few years that the hype is not worth it!
Supporting data?

Old 07-22-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Late 60's here. (Years I first arrived - and age now - both ) Love it still. Although, the aging bones have moved me part time down to San Diego as of this spring. Can't fully pull the plug. The City's still got me in its grip.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Supporting data?
Not a single of my colleague from two different companies bought a house in SF even though pretty much all of them can afford it. Everyone bought in the peninsula or east bay! It's anecdotal but buying a million dollar house in nasty weather, crime and bad schools is not something most people like. The only one bragging about living in SF are the ones living in rent controlled apartment or with bunch of roommates and can't afford to buy anywhere in the bay area. They are stuck in SF!

Old 07-22-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Not a single of my colleague from two different companies bought a house in SF even though pretty much all of them can afford it. Everyone bought in the peninsula or east bay! It's anecdotal but buying a million dollar house in nasty weather, crime and bad schools is not something most people like. The only one bragging about living in SF are the ones living in rent controlled apartment or with bunch of roommates and can't afford to buy anywhere in the bay area. They are stuck in SF!
Yes. It IS anecdotal. And grossly flawed anecdote at that. How much inventory is available in the SF market right now? At any price? What is the average time to sell a property?

840,000 residents mostly staying put, and never before seen low inventory available for rent or sale, at nationally high pricing, says your anecdote is worthless hyperbole.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yes. It IS anecdotal. And grossly flawed anecdote at that. How much inventory is available in the SF market right now? At any price? What is the average time to sell a property?

840,000 residents mostly staying put, and never before seen low inventory available for rent or sale, at nationally high pricing, says your anecdote is worthless hyperbole.
The real estate market in Mumbai India (or for that matter any large Asian city) is 100 times more competitive than SF and per sq ft price in desirable parts of Mumbai might be same as SF. That doesn't make Mumbai a desirable or nice place to live.. Also by your logic, Daly City is more desirable than San Diego because the median house price is higher and the inventory is lower!!!! The property market in SF is a result of housing shortage and it's not a result of desirability of SF! There are also plenty of places in bay area with more expensive real estate than SF.

Almost all CA homeowners stay put because it does not make financial sense to sell a home and loose the prop 13 advantage with a higher priced new home. This in turn also inflates real estate prices. I am sure given the choice almost everyone in foggy or rundown parts of SF would move down to the peninsula but they can't afford it. Now simpletons might interpret being stuck in a city to loving a city but I guess critical thinking is not everyone's forte
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland