Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 11:06 AM

57 posts, read 87,093 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I know Berkeley is very liberal and I will be living in a university environment, but I would like opinions as to the thought of living in downtown Berkeley and commuting to the financial district/downtown SF.

I have not visited Berkeley yet, but the images appear to have the environment I like: clean(er), lower rent, green, open space and lots of great coffee shops/restaurants, etc. I don't mind the college environment.

How would the commute be by train or car? Most likely I'll take a train, but on occasion (1x per month) might have to drive in.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 11:37 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
It's easy on BART. There are several BART stations serving downtown, and north Berkeley. I'd suggest you live a few blocks north of downtown, as the downtown area has a lot of homelessness. Or east of downtown, toward the hills. There are also nice neighborhoods with coffee shops, restaurants, theater, etc. in south Berkeley, closer to Oakland, and there's a BART station there, too. Look around the Elmwood district, which is an easy bike or bus ride from the university, as well as downtown (-ish) and north Berkeley.

And, hopefully you realize that "lower rent" is very relative in the Bay Area. Yes, it's lower than SF. El Cerrito and Albany, bordering on N. Berkeley, are even lower. If I were you, I'd look for in-law apartments in people's homes in the hills around the university. You can find some "deals" there, sometimes, and those neighborhoods are beautiful. Again, "deal" is relative. Some students find rentals along Euclid Street, north of the university; beautiful area in the hills, yet close to the U (there's bus svce, too), views of the Bay, a rose garden park. There are lots of nice pockets within walking distance of the U, or an easy bike ride or short bus ride.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-23-2015 at 11:50 AM..

Old 07-23-2015, 11:42 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
I wouldn't call downtown Berkeley or anything on/near University Ave/Telegraph "clean". Lots of bums/panhandlers and homeless. I also wouldn't call Berkeley "lower rent"- it's a lot more expensive than Oakland and other East Bay cities and the housing stock is really dumpy and old. You should really visit yourself so you know what to expect. Now, with that said, there are plenty of nice areas in Berkeley like Solano Ave, Elmwood, 4th street, etc that are a lot nicer than downtown.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's easy on BART. There are several BART stations serving downtown, and north Berkeley. I'd suggest you live a few blocks north of downtown, as the downtown area has a lot of homelessness. Or east of downtown, toward the hills. There are also nice neighborhoods with coffee shops, restaurants, theater, etc. in south Berkeley, closer to Oakland, and there's a BART station there, too. Look around the Elmwood district, which is an easy bike or bus ride from the university, as well as downtown (-ish) and north Berkeley.

And, hopefully you realize that "lower rent" is very relative in the Bay Area. Yes, it's lower than SF. El Cerrito and Albany, bordering on N. Berkeley, are even lower. If I were you, I'd look for in-law apartments in people's homes in the hills around the university. You can find some "deals" there, sometimes, and those neighborhoods are beautiful. Again, "deal" is relative. Some students find rentals along Euclid Street, north of the university; beautiful area in the hills, yet close to the U (there's bus svce, too), views of the Bay, a rose garden park. There are lots of nice pockets within walking distance of the U, or an easy bike ride or short bus ride.
As long as it's cleaner and has less homeless and junkies than SF, I'll be fine with that.

By 'lower rent', I mean lower than Marina and Noe Valley (lower than $3,400/month).

I've taken a look at Berkeley Hills, but I'd like to walk to BART and would like to have restaurants/shops right outside my doorsteps - as in next door or across the street.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothrakirider View Post
I've taken a look at Berkeley Hills, but I'd like to walk to BART and would like to have restaurants/shops right outside my doorsteps - as in next door or across the street.
You'll be looking at student housing, then, unless you go a few blocks north of downtown (also good restaurants, etc., and some students, but no slumlord-type places--more post-student-age folks, families, in-law rentals, small apt. bldgs), or to the Solano Ave. area (great for restaurants, etc., BART nearby, across the county line in El Cerrito) or south to Elmwood. Also look in Rockridge (north Oakland, bordering on Elmwood/Berkeley). Similar to the other areas: restaurants, variety of grocers, from high-end to ordinary chains to neighborhood produce stalls, bookstores, etc. And BART right there.

Sounds like you have a realistic picture of rents.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:26 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I wouldn't call downtown Berkeley or anything on/near University Ave/Telegraph "clean". Lots of bums/panhandlers and homeless.
I tend to agree with this. Last time I was in Berkeley a few months ago there were a bunch of homeless sleeping on the sidewalks. Commuting is relatively easy, but you might have to make a transfer on weekends. Just remember, while you might be fine with a college town, you might not appreciate loud parties when you have to wake up at 7 the next morning.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
I tend to agree with this. Last time I was in Berkeley a few months ago there were a bunch of homeless sleeping on the sidewalks. Commuting is relatively easy, but you might have to make a transfer on weekends. Just remember, while you might be fine with a college town, you might not appreciate loud parties when you have to wake up at 7 the next morning.
True, hoping that Berkeley students are not as party-hardy as ASU students, per se.

Nevertheless, if I can get a very nice 1BD (nice neighborhood, clean with doorstep access to nice restaurants, lounges, etc.) for $3,000 then I'll be happy.

I really don't want to live in SF, so figuring out other areas. Sausalito for sometime but the commute seems to be a real hassle.

So now it's essentially Berkeley or back to looking at Marina/Noe, etc.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:44 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I think Berkeley is a poor value compared to Oakland. Generally sucky apartments and more stuff to do. Definitely skip the areas around Ashby BART, not very walkable.

But if you want a shiny new place, and are willing to pay for it, downtown Berkeley is slightly better than downtown Oakland since the student crowd gives you all day businesses on the weekend. If you don't want something new, than places like Adams Point in Oakland or Grand Lake or Temescal or Piedmont Ave are better neighborhoods with more selection of stuff to do and entertainment oriented to older crowds.

Downtown Berkeley gets old quick.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothrakirider View Post
True, hoping that Berkeley students are not as party-hardy as ASU students, per se.

Nevertheless, if I can get a very nice 1BD (nice neighborhood, clean with doorstep access to nice restaurants, lounges, etc.) for $3,000 then I'll be happy.

I really don't want to live in SF, so figuring out other areas. Sausalito for sometime but the commute seems to be a real hassle.

So now it's essentially Berkeley or back to looking at Marina/Noe, etc.
With that budget, you'll have a lot of choices, OP. Elmwood is more expensive, because it's a nicer neighborhood and has the kind of amenities you're looking for. You'll be able to afford it. There are new, high-end apt. bldgs right in downtown, but you wouldn't want to live there, due to the dirt/homeless factors. But I'm sure you'll find something you'll be happy with. Do us a favor, and post back here with a photo or location, when you've found your dream place.

Are you sure the commute to downtown SF from Sausalito is a hassle? The ferry makes it pretty easy.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
With that budget, you'll have a lot of choices, OP. Elmwood is more expensive, because it's a nicer neighborhood and has the kind of amenities you're looking for. You'll be able to afford it. There are new, high-end apt. bldgs right in downtown, but you wouldn't want to live there, due to the dirt/homeless factors. But I'm sure you'll find something you'll be happy with. Do us a favor, and post back here with a photo or location, when you've found your dream place.

Are you sure the commute to downtown SF from Sausalito is a hassle? The ferry makes it pretty easy.
Problem with Ferry is that I need to find a place close to the Ferry terminal (I wouldn't want to drive car to terminal every morning and back) and then be at the mercy of the Ferry schedule. As I might be working irregular hours, the thought of Uber'ing often across the bridge seems like a hassle.

But, if anyone can change my mind - please do so, Sausalito has most of what I want (unsure of the nightlife though, I'm 30s).

As for Oakland, something I'll have to look into. Never been but the word conjures up crime, homeless and general despair. I've only heard about Oakland in the same vein as East L.A. or Detroit (w/o the bankruptcy).

I also don't want to live in a too 'quiet' area, hence the restaurants, shops, lounges at my doorstep. If only Marina was $500 cheaper... ahhh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland