Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 09:30 PM

620 posts, read 1,198,759 times

Advertisements

Downtown Livermore will be revitalized? What? Here I was thinking it was a nice place silly me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 10:26 AM

4,031 posts, read 4,464,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
Downtown Livermore will be revitalized? What? Here I was thinking it was a nice place silly me...
Livermore is often overlooked as an exurban cowtown. It has the advantage over Dublin which had been wrecked by track housing in the sense it preserves it's country side and has a vibrant wine industry. Downtown is decent but has tons of parking lots. Also BART will eventually be extended.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:37 PM

117 posts, read 155,166 times
No sees the tech-bubble bursting? I think it will happen when smartphones get stagnant.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyCo View Post
No sees the tech-bubble bursting? I think it will happen when smartphones get stagnant.
It does unsustainable to have an entire region become dependent on one industry.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:29 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
It does unsustainable to have an entire region become dependent on one industry.
The entire region isn't built on only tech. I read someplace that roughly 10% of Bay Area jobs revolve around the tech industry. Of course hat is a large amount, but plenty of other industry drives this area. Finance, medical, medical research, oil, government, etc.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The entire region isn't built on only tech. I read someplace that roughly 10% of Bay Area jobs revolve around the tech industry. Of course hat is a large amount, but plenty of other industry drives this area. Finance, medical, medical research, oil, government, etc.
Not the entire Bay Area but Santa Clara County.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
San Francisco: SOMA will full of highrises. Mission will be full gentrified with hipsters. Hunters Point might be redeveloped. Hispanics priced out of the Mission may dispace blacks in Hunters Point. Black population wilk dwindle. North Beach, Russian Hill, Pacific Heights, and the Marina will be basically the same but even more expensive. Midmarket will be fully gentrified. Tenderloin may be partially gentrified.

Oakland: Probably much more gentrified around downtown with more highrises. Massive new developments in Brooklyn Basin and Coliseum. West Oakland will still be Ghetto but more hispanic than black. Fruitville might slightly gentrify. Less blacks. More Asians and white Hipsters.

Berkeley: Similar but downtown will be slightly more upscale. West Berkeley might be redeveloped.

Silicon Valley: will start to see more dense urban development, less suburban, will end up being majority Asian. Hispanics may end up being priced out of San Jose an replaced with Asians. Tech campuses may build dense housing over their parking lots.

Richmond: still Ghetto

Antioch: still Ghetto

Concord: might gentrify slightly, Naval Redevelopment will make a high impact adding 20k new residents.

Walnut Creek: Similar but downtown will be slightly more urban and upscale. Will still be majority white but have more Asians.

Danville: Same as now but more expensive.

Dublin: more dense on remaining lots. Will resemble Irvine. Might become majority Asian. Camp Parks will be redeveloped.

Pleasanton: More dense development near the Bart station also will become more Asian.

Livermore: not much new sprawl due to greenbelt, downtown will be revitalized, more upscale.

San Leandro and Hayward: hard to say but may be more gentrified. Asians will displace hispanics.

Redwood city: may gentrify and see become. More Asian.

San Mateo: same as Redwood city.

Marin: Similar but more expensive.
I added a few updates

Old 01-24-2016, 02:00 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
As long as people desire to live here... there will be pressure to on Housing.

I've long held Oakland to be a sleeper or stepchild... geographically, it is in the center of the Bay Area and many of the past prejudices are not carried by the younger generation.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:31 PM

58 posts, read 61,281 times
Very interesting post to read, thanks.
For a person planning on moving to the SF area, the outskirts are very hard for a newbie to have foresight in which area is a smarter place to live.

We are retiring and moving closer to our daughter/family in SF. At our age we do not want to go in over our heads in debt. Got a great price in 5 days on our home in Orange County, and are ready to move, but it's risky investment, especially at our age when you know long term doesn't work for 65 years olds.

East Bay, particularly interests us, and over the past few years I've watched the prices soar, not only from post recession but a solution for people who want a quieter, less populated to raise kids and retire. The hills are beautiful, and frankly I see that area getting better.

From an outsider, it seems as though the ghetto rhetoric is a bit exaggerated in SF . It's funny to hear that description coming from OC. should those comments be taken seriously? Thnx

Thanks for your input though. My take on the Brentwood area is it's great for retired people who love the outdoors and don't have to drive in the ***** traffic and city masses anyway. Along with being affordable other than the cr!p taxes.

What's your take on the future of Vacaville, Vallejo, Fairfield and Benecia ?

Old 02-01-2016, 10:47 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOwl View Post
What's your take on the future of Vacaville, Vallejo, Fairfield and Benecia ?
Vacaville is very hot in the summer and it stays hot all night you don't get the delta breeze as you do in Sacramento I lived in Vacaville for a long time and personally I don't like it, it's boring and very suburban.

Fairfield is completely different depending which side of the freeway you live on, the West side (opposite the mall) is quite nice, the east side..not so much, lots of gangs and a higher crime rate than you would expect there. I don't much like Fairfield, it's not really close to anything, and IMO it's ugly (except for Green Valley)

Benicia is lovely, it's small and safe and has wonderful weather. Prices have been going up a lot though, so you might want to consider the Glen Cove area of Vallejo which is technically in Vallejo but is very close to Benicia and is cheaper yet still safe.

Vallejo is a little hard to describe, it has a horrible and well deserved reputation for having a high crime rate and being poorly managed but there are parts of Vallejo that are safe and really delightful. The heritage district has some of the most beautiful old victorian and craftsman homes that you will find in the bay area. Vallejo heights in the NW part of Vallejo is also very nice. Before you buy a house in Vallejo talk to some local realtors because Vallejo is sort of strange, one block is very nice the next one over is scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland