Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 08:15 AM

520 posts, read 605,793 times

Advertisements

I like Concord a lot too, especially given the value (by Bay Area standards) given housing prices. It's still too hot for me and the commute is bad to SF (even on BART) and impossible to Silicon Valley. At the same price points, I prefer some of the smaller towns in West Contra Costa: Crockett, Hercules, Pinole, El Sobrante, etc. Better weather, slightly better commutes, prettier topography. Admittedly, worse shopping options. I also prefer Martinez, as noted above, which has more history/character, and El Cerrito, but both are more expensive than Concord now, so not really a fair comparison. I like Concord better than some of the other options in the price range: parts of Hayward, Pittsburgh/Antioch/Brentwood, parts of Oakland in that price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 09:30 AM

42,744 posts, read 25,902,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicoastal View Post
Neighboring Pleasant Hill is also nice without being pretentious, though a bit more expensive than Concord.
I agree, Pleasant Hill >Concord

Old 07-27-2015, 11:07 AM

675 posts, read 1,185,207 times
I really only can make a case for one city, I lived in Walnut Creek for 7 years (1999-2006) and loved every second of it. Just the perfect city for me, has everything I needed.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:13 AM

522 posts, read 729,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I agree, Pleasant Hill >Concord
Pleasant Hill honestly feels like an affluent neighborhood in Concord.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:21 PM

4,026 posts, read 4,415,261 times
Is Concord in the process of being gentrified? I think the Naval Redevelopment will play a role adding 20k new residents.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:37 PM

18,962 posts, read 32,433,950 times
For the price and having two BART stations it's probably one of the best values in the Bay Area. The schools are pretty bad overall though and there still is a significant trashy element there in some of the areas.

Sure there are many "better" and more interesting cities in the Bay Area but they're also a lot more overpriced for what you get and for how much "better" it is, or isn't. Pleasant Hill comes close as it's very similar and nicer but the homes are also about $100-200K more expensive on average. Over the past year Concord has grown on me but I agree it is probably one of the best values in the region. If it could improve it's schools that would really help solidify it as one of the Bay Area's best values.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:40 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,252 posts, read 4,273,305 times
I lived all over the Bay Area in my motorhome, and I would agree that Concord was not bad at all. My favorite place, however, was San Leandro. I know that will surprise many of you, but I really enjoyed my time there. My least favorite area was definitely Bay Point. Ugh.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I lived all over the Bay Area in my motorhome, and I would agree that Concord was not bad at all. My favorite place, however, was San Leandro. I know that will surprise many of you, but I really enjoyed my time there. My least favorite area was definitely Bay Point. Ugh.
I would agree with you San Leandro is great. Never lived there, but I have friends that do. To me San Leandro is Oakland's Daly City.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
Is Concord in the process of being gentrified? I think the Naval Redevelopment will play a role adding 20k new residents.
I don't want Concord to be gentrified, it's fine the way it is. It's kinda sad all the working class people regardless of color are getting pushed to Antioch.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:21 PM

And everyone kinda knows Antioch is the Bay Area's defacto trash can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland