Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 04:56 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Seeing as most of the posters praising Vallejo's potential don't actually have much experience with the city, I can see why they would be optimistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 05:00 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
50 robberies in half a year isn't great, but it's not exactly scary ghetto territory (unless you're a sheltered middle/upper class suburbanite, I guess). The Tenderloin has that many robberies in a month.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
50 robberies in half a year isn't great, but it's not exactly scary ghetto territory (unless you're a sheltered middle/upper class suburbanite, I guess). The Tenderloin has that many robberies in a month.
Nobody including myself ever called Monument the "scary ghetto".

I guess shootings and gang activity is considered typical normal middle class stuff in CA now, not surprising I suppose.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:18 PM

335 posts, read 329,676 times
Quote:
Seeing as most of the posters praising Vallejo's potential don't actually have much experience with the city, I can see why they would be optimistic.
Interesting comment. Or was it a wisecrack? If you can see why they would be optimistic, that is saying you understand the potential of the town, which sort of contradicts some of your earlier positions. So is that what you mean? Or are your just throwin g back a quip?

In either case, it doesn't change or negate my point. That others see potential in Vallejo is an indicator that fresh investment and life will grow.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmorphicDN View Post
Interesting comment. Or was it a wisecrack? If you can see why they would be optimistic, that is saying you understand the potential of the town, which sort of contradicts some of your earlier positions. So is that what you mean? Or are your just throwin g back a quip?

In either case, it doesn't change or negate my point. That others see potential in Vallejo is an indicator that fresh investment and life will grow.
I understand why people think it has potential, I mean how can you not with all the cute Victorian's right? But having close ties to that city my entire life, I'm also not that optimistic based on what I've seen over the last 25 years there. Maybe when people actually start investing to the point it's making a difference I'll be more optimistic about it's future, I just don't see it now or happening anytime soon.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:50 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Like I wrote above ... Spidey Sense in some random hood in Vallejo (say, one of the residential areas off of Redwood, a bit west of 80) ... about a 6.

Spidey Sense near 3rd and Palou in The Bayview .... about an 8.

To get to a 10 ... it would have to be something like South Central or Compton(town) back around '85 or so.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:44 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:
Not sure why you're so snarky and condescending about my opinion that the Monument area is "ghetto" when A LOT, if not most, people feel that way as well. I'm actually in the Monument area quite often as I don't live that far away, probably much more than you. Seeing as there is no Whole Foods there I'm guessing you probably actually never come to the area.

I was totally kidding about your past as I don't really care but it's kind of funny to hear you "prattle" on about your life and how you seem to think you're some bad ass or something.

I never said Vallejo is all bad but it is easily one of the worst cities in the Bay Area. You really don't seem to know Vallejo at all if you think it's going through some type of Oakland gentrification. There are lots of cities renters buy homes in around the Bay Area aside from Vallejo, so not sure why you're acting like it's some hot destination for people right now over anywhere else.
Not sure where I ever said I was a "bad ass". I never said or even implied that I was ever in a gang. I said I dated someone that lived in "the Crest". I used to know quite a few decent people from Vallejo. All still alive!

You seem terribly judgmental about me. Major ASSumptions. I'm in El Molino and yes, Costco weekly, all by my lonesome. I'm not scared of Latinos or black people en masse, dude. I wouldn't walk around by myself at night or hang out in a bar there, but you seem to have a very warped sense of what a ghetto is.

There are good areas of Vallejo and you shouldn't make blanket statements about the place. People say stupid things about Oakland, Richmond, Berkeley, Fairfield, San Francisco, etc. but you should know by now that there are safe and not so safe areas within most cities.

You are still a big wuss despite being there "more than me" (lol--ooh, how competitive!).

Old 07-31-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Not sure where I ever said I was a "bad ass". I never said or even implied that I was ever in a gang. I said I dated someone that lived in "the Crest". I used to know quite a few decent people from Vallejo. All still alive!
in a gang? what? lol Anyways, both my parents were born and raised in Vallejo so a lot, pretty much all, of our family is from there. Almost all of them are alive, two were murdered. One was shot dead at a gas station leaving my uncle to take care of their 2 year old and 6mo at the time. My aunt owns a car dealership there and her stepston took someone on a test drive that ended up being a mental case and crack head that crashed the car going 80mph down Tennessee St killing him.

Quote:
You seem terribly judgmental about me. Major ASSumptions.
Oh the irony! Lets start with your first post on this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Yeah, but you're the one that thinks Monument blvd in Concord is an actual ghetto. You are probably more sensitive than most to anything that doesn't look like new, spotless, tract housing in San Ramon.
Quote:
You are still a big wuss despite being there "more than me" (lol--ooh, how competitive!).
Ok I get it, nothing is too ghetto for the Lafayette soccer mom. You've been around the block and have so much street cred. You must be the most hardcore housewife in Lafayette!

Quote:
I'm in El Molino and yes, Costco weekly, all by my lonesome. I'm not scared of Latinos or black people en masse, dude. I wouldn't walk around by myself at night or hang out in a bar there, but you seem to have a very warped sense of what a ghetto is.
Considering A LOT, and more likely the majority, of people share the same opinion it's really not warped at all.

You shouldn't be so scared to hang out at a bar there, Milo's and La Cabana can actually be fun. Funny how you're calling me a wimp when you're too scared to hang out at a bar on Monument.

So what exactly do you consider places with shootings and gang activity?

Quote:
There are good areas of Vallejo and you shouldn't make blanket statements about the place. People say stupid things about Oakland, Richmond, Berkeley, Fairfield, San Francisco, etc. but you should know by now that there are safe and not so safe areas within most cities.
Perhaps it's a reading comprehension issue but I've already stated Vallejo has some decent/nice areas several times in this thread so I'm not sure why you are acting like I haven't. In my opinion there is more bad areas than good with Vallejo and crime is fairly widespread.

Last edited by sav858; 07-31-2015 at 08:52 PM..

Old 07-31-2015, 09:59 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Wow. A Walnut Creek native mocking me for moving to the town next door! Sounds like your mom got out of the hood to become a soccer mom. She must have been hardcore with all those murdered relatives. I can see why they escaped for your sake. Glad your safe now-- just like me!

Old 07-31-2015, 10:31 PM

Actually I'm a Vallejo native technically.

Definitely reading comprehension issues. I wasn't mocking you for moving to Lafayette, I was mocking your attempt at trying to give yourself some sort of street cred or whatever with your lame stories about being a wild teen and dating Crest thugs. Yet you're too afraid to hit up a bar on Monument lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland