Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree?
yes 2 22.22%
no 7 77.78%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 11:58 PM

522 posts, read 736,066 times

Advertisements

I've always thought of it that way. What's your take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 12:48 AM

702 posts, read 953,548 times
The proper question/title for this thread is, "Is the Monument Boulevard/Detroit Ave area in Concord the Fruitvale District of the Bay's suburbs?". The Mission is a wealthy enclave where there still happens to be a significant number of low-income latinos who get by on rent control or in BMR housing. Mark Zuckerberg lives 5 blocks from 24th st bart. The Fruitvale, on the other hand, is a 75% Latino neighborhood where the vast majority of residents are still low-income immigrants (though one of my professors at SF State recently bought a home there, sign of the times perhaps...). There is absolutely no comparison between the Mission and anywhere in Concord.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
The proper question/title for this thread is, "Is the Monument Boulevard/Detroit Ave area in Concord the Fruitvale District of the Bay's suburbs?". The Mission is a wealthy enclave where there still happens to be a significant number of low-income latinos who get by on rent control or in BMR housing. Mark Zuckerberg lives 5 blocks from 24th st bart. The Fruitvale, on the other hand, is a 75% Latino neighborhood where the vast majority of residents are still low-income immigrants (though one of my professors at SF State recently bought a home there, sign of the times perhaps...). There is absolutely no comparison between the Mission and anywhere in Concord.
I was kinda thinking pre-gentrification Mission. My mother is from the Mission District. As a child she took me to the Mission often. My mother is White and she talks about back during her day she was one of a few. In her words: "Now the area is filled with yuppies spending their daddy's money."

Old 07-30-2015, 07:44 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
T The Mission is a wealthy enclave where there still happens to be a significant number of low-income latinos who get by on rent control or in BMR housing.
The Mission is hardly a wealthy enclave, LOL. Pacific Heights is wealthy, Mission, no way. Median incomes are well below city and metro medians.

Yes, there are wealthy techies on the fringes of the Mission, but the neighborhood remains by and large working class Hispanic, and is still quite gritty. Dolores Park area has tons of expensive homes but that isn't typical for the Mission (and that's barely even the Mission).

Old 07-30-2015, 12:33 PM

702 posts, read 953,548 times
You're right, wealthy was exaggerating. Upper-class would be more accurate. 2-bed condos in the Mission sell for an average of $1.05m, 1 bedroom flats rent for an average of $3700 as of this month. Only half of the census tracts in the Mission are still slightly above 50% hispanic, those being the tracts surrounding 24th street. The neighborhood may be what it is right now, but those on the lower end of the income spectrum have a tenuous grip.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:32 PM

540 posts, read 652,894 times
Not even close, the history in the mission district brings tourists. There is nothing iconic or scenic worthy of Monument. There is also nothing to do over there. The Mission is Vibrant.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
Not even close, the history in the mission district brings tourists. There is nothing iconic or scenic worthy of Monument. There is also nothing to do over there. The Mission is Vibrant.
There's history in every neighborhood. San Francisco has just become adept at selling that history. I've even heard about San Francisco doing "gritty urban" bus tours through the Tenderloin.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:45 PM

540 posts, read 652,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
There's history in every neighborhood. San Francisco has just become adept at selling that history. I've even heard about San Francisco doing "gritty urban" bus tours through the Tenderloin.
The reality is the only comparison between both area's is they are heavily Hispanic. That's where it ends.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:44 PM

19 posts, read 26,575 times
No, have not had to step over urine or feces on the streets of Concord, and surely the rents are far different. But both areas have a lot of Latinos, if that's what you mean?

Old 07-31-2015, 04:50 PM

Basically I was saying it's a heavily working class Latino community with great restaurants, but seem to be a bit misunderstood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland