Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 05:36 AM

3 posts, read 1,917 times

Advertisements

Let me start off by saying that I am a recent college grad, female, and unemployed which is why this offer is very tempting so it isn't really a matter of me moving for adventure, but necessity. Here's the deal, because of reasons irrelevant to this post, my parents would be moving with me which means I am looking for at least a 2br + 2b. We come from the southern California suburbs, so not exactly a wealthy bunch but we're willing to pay up to $2.5k a month. My issue is that I have no knowledge of the area so I can look at a pretty apartment without noticing that it is in the center of a gang infested neighborhood through pictures. Safety is a huge concern for my parents and I so I want to focus on a safe area. Also I would be commuting to my job which is somewhere around Folsom St. and I would be getting off work sometime between 7-8pm which makes me worry about the safety of public transportation at that time since southern California isn't known for public transportation, I have little to no experience with it.
I know commuting expenses can add up quickly, and distances can be a pain, so I'm trying to gather what my best options are. If i'm going to be on a train for an hour at 8pm, I don't want to be clutching my pearls. Honestly, any feedback at all would be great since I want to make the most informed decision, thanks ahead!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 09:31 AM

901 posts, read 1,167,720 times
I wouldn't worry about safety on BART or Caltrain, although city smarts dictate that you don't count rolls of cash or wear thousands of dollars of jewelry, or fall asleep with your laptop next to you, or your mobile phone on your lap.

I used to live in NYC and I rode the subways at 3am. I've ridden transportation here at all hours. The dangers of public transportation overall are way way way overstated. You are no more likely to be a victim of crime on transportation than you are on the street at night in a bustling neighborhood in a city.

I do believe that nobody should move to the Bay Area, or LA, etc, if financially you're in a tight spot. There is too much pressure, and too much risk. Rents go up rapidly, etc. Would you be able to pivot to a new job quickly if your current job disappears (that often happens if you're in a startup.)

Are you in tech? If so, do you know how much better you could live if you got a job in any other tech job center in the US, aside from Manhattan? The answer is: a lot. Even LA. The higher pay here does not come close to compensating for the higher cost of living. So I wouldn't just take any job in the Bay Area, I'd be careful that you're at a company that is reasonably stable at a minimum. 2500 would get you an OK 2 bedroom in a decent place, but it might be extremely competitive. You will probably be about a 1 hour commute door to door.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:54 AM

881 posts, read 1,815,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaland3 View Post
Also I would be commuting to my job which is somewhere around Folsom St. and I would be getting off work sometime between 7-8pm which makes me worry about the safety of public transportation
What is the intersection? Folsom is a pretty long street that runs through multiple neighborhoods. Your public transportation options, and safety would vary greatly depending on which stretch of Folsom you will be near.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:56 AM

102,209 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Look at El Cerrito, and Walnut Creek. Both very placid areas, safe. Rents are lower than in Berkeley/Oakland, and a lot lower than in SF. For even lower rent, but a longer commute, try Concord. All the above are on the BART line.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post

I do believe that nobody should move to the Bay Area, or LA, etc, if financially you're in a tight spot. There is too much pressure, and too much risk. Rents go up rapidly, etc. Would you be able to pivot to a new job quickly if your current job disappears (that often happens if you're in a startup.)

Are you in tech? If so, do you know how much better you could live if you got a job in any other tech job center in the US, aside from Manhattan? The answer is: a lot. Even LA. The higher pay here does not come close to compensating for the higher cost of living. So I wouldn't just take any job in the Bay Area, I'd be careful that you're at a company that is reasonably stable at a minimum. 2500 would get you an OK 2 bedroom in a decent place, but it might be extremely competitive. You will probably be about a 1 hour commute door to door.
Not in tech, education. I used to have to go from Orange County to LA so the 1 hour commute isn't that much of a turn off to me. My background is in film so my options are usually all the major cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
What is the intersection? Folsom is a pretty long street that runs through multiple neighborhoods. Your public transportation options, and safety would vary greatly depending on which stretch of Folsom you will be near.
It's not properly on folsom street, just used that as a point of reference. It's closer to Montgomery St.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Look at El Cerrito, and Walnut Creek. Both very placid areas, safe. Rents are lower than in Berkeley/Oakland, and a lot lower than in SF. For even lower rent, but a longer commute, try Concord. All the above are on the BART line.
Thank you I'll look into it!

Old 07-31-2015, 01:46 PM

102,209 posts, read 107,859,557 times
OP, if you're near Mont'gy, it's an easy commute to the East Bay. No safety issues around the business district, for the most part. You'll probably be just a couple of blocks from Mont'gy BART.

Why the late work schedule? Will there be others in your office complex working late, too?

Old 07-31-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, if you're near Mont'gy, it's an easy commute to the East Bay. No safety issues around the business district, for the most part. You'll probably be just a couple of blocks from Mont'gy BART.

Why the late work schedule? Will there be others in your office complex working late, too?
Yeah it's just a very unique schedule and I wish I had a better reason for it but it's just the way it worked out. There will be more people around since I'm not the only one on that schedule but thanks for the input on transportation!

Old 07-31-2015, 02:15 PM

434 posts, read 1,018,943 times
The East Bay might be a better option for you, but to expand the search: you might find a small single family house for rent near the high end of your price range close to the Balboa Park BART station in San Francisco.

The farther from BART, the likelier you'll want to ride a bus to and from the station. The Muni map is at:
https://www.sfmta.com/maps/muni-system-map

I feel safe when riding Muni in the evening, but spot occasional Muni-related incidents on the Ingleside P.D. crime report: http://inglesidepolicestation.blogspot.com/

Good luck!

Last edited by California Vagabond; 07-31-2015 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: Added information

Old 07-31-2015, 03:18 PM

901 posts, read 1,167,720 times
At 2500 per month, and given that SF is your target, don't need to work in South Bay, i.e. not tech, I would go Concord (do a search to see the many discussions on what the best parts are) or if you're lucky to find something nice, Walnut Creek. Anything you get out in that part of the East Bay will be larger and nicer and easier to get than anything closer in. 2500 in SF for a 2br? Would either be tiny or in a terrible or not-safe-feeling location. 2500 would not get you a nice 2br in Berkeley or El Cerrito, either, or not without great difficulty and a lot of luck. Competition is intense.

Housing in the Bay Area is considerably more expensive than the LA area - you need to know that. That is, in the LA area, you can easily find a nice apartment for 2500 per month, it may not be in a prime area, or close to work. Here, you have to go to the fringe.

Last edited by Chuck5000; 07-31-2015 at 03:56 PM..

Old 07-31-2015, 05:46 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,248 times
Eh, safety-wise you'll be fine. There's usually a fair amount of people around downtown until maybe 8:30-9pm.
I second checking out Walnut Creek or Pleasant Hill. Both are nice areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland