Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2015, 08:32 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,442,350 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Like I mentioned in another treat, I'm contemplating a move to the beautiful Bay Area.

I have an option to get a job transfer as soon as September but in most parts of the country it's one of the most expensive months to sign a lease since most people move in the summer/ early fall. I can also wait until November/December to move.

Now with the housing craze in the Bay Area, does the high/low rule even apply? I've been looking for a studio, and the vacancy rate is incredibly low.

What do you think, should I wait or just do it?

(if it matters, I'm looking at Petaluma or Walnut Creek, a studio apartment)

Last edited by Flavia84; 08-02-2015 at 08:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 08:38 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,274,224 times
yep. worst time to look is right before Fall semester begins. good luck!

Old 08-02-2015, 08:44 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
Only if you are looking to rent near a college or university. However, there aren't a lot of people generally looking to move during the holiday season, so you would have less competition overall from Thanksgiving to the first of the year.

The weather in the SF Bay Area doesn't affect the rent cycle at all, because there isn't snow/ice or super hot summers.

I retired from an apt manager job in Santa Clara just a couple years ago, so I'm familiar with the rental situation.

Even then, by the way, the prices won't be cheaper in December, because landlords don't have to offer them. They would probably rather just leave it empty for a month (if they had to), and then rent it for full market rent in January.

You'd just have less competition during the holidays.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:48 PM

Awesome, very helpful info!

Thanks for such quick replies

Old 08-02-2015, 11:13 PM

379 posts, read 785,515 times
I got a great deal on a rent-controlled apartment by looking between Thanksgiving and Christmas. There's definitely still competition, but it's a bit less intense than other times of year. May/June can also be a good time to look, especially in student areas, as a lot of people are vacating their apartment, and summer sublets often come available too.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:46 AM

901 posts, read 1,167,440 times
You should know that Petaluma is going to have a much much much longer commute to SF (if you need to go there) than Walnut Creek.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:04 AM

Chuck5000,

Thanks for the heads up.

I will be commuting to SFO airport for work about once a week so it should be ok. I hope...

Old 08-03-2015, 11:23 AM

102,191 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Hi all,

Like I mentioned in another treat, I'm contemplating a move to the beautiful Bay Area.

I have an option to get a job transfer as soon as September but in most parts of the country it's one of the most expensive months to sign a lease since most people move in the summer/ early fall. I can also wait until November/December to move.

Now with the housing craze in the Bay Area, does the high/low rule even apply? I've been looking for a studio, and the vacancy rate is incredibly low.

What do you think, should I wait or just do it?

(if it matters, I'm looking at Petaluma or Walnut Creek, a studio apartment)
OP, the rents are the same no matter when you rent. No one's going to lower their rent in winter, and be stuck with a 1-yr. lease of lower rent. People are moving into the area constantly, year-round.

That said, there's definitely an availability window/season in the East Bay, parts of which are dominated by the university academic calendar, rental-wise. Anywhere near UC Berkeley (El Cerrito, Albany, Berkeley, Oakland), the rental market opens wide in June/July. In August, students are coming back in for fall semester, and it gets tight, though not impossible. It's just that you have the most choice after mid-May or so, through July-ish.

That doesn't affect Walnut Creek or anywhere else out on that side of the Berkeley hills, though, and certainly not Petaluma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland