Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 04:15 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,954 times

Advertisements

You literally can't make this stuff up. In a city with a $10 bn budget, in the richest area of America hence the world, in a central area where thousands of cars and pedestrians pass every day, a lamp post falls almost killing a person because its base was too corroded from urine. It literally has everything that we complain about the city

- Lack of/inefficient spending on public infrastructure
- Lack of/inefficient enforcement of laws about vagrancy/public exposure etc.
- Idiotic politicians who "urge" people and dogs to pee on fire hydrants and think that's somehow a reasonable solution to an infrastructure problem. Same idiots who think that banning toys in happy meals fights obesity
- Total lack of accountability for things that are real hazards to people - bursting water pipes that spew thousands of gallons (see last week), falling lamp posts, potholed streets that could cause accidents etc. in favor of passing pointless measures that state corporations are not people
- Spending on pointless initiatives in a city that is on a major earthquake fault, yet lacks enough ambulances
- An electrical grid infrastructure with above ground lines that makes Streets look like Baghdad

Just glaring political and public employee incompetence coupled with zero accountability/zero liability. And the voters just don't care. We keep electing the same idiots all the time

Lamp post destroyed by urine falls in street, just misses driver - SFGate

And to preemptively address the cliches from the usual suspects.

1) No, I will not move. 2) I love SF, but that doesn't mean I don't think there is room for improvement. 3) I do a lot to improve the city through volunteering time, money and writing letters to politicians. 4) No, I do not think the city is perfect. 5) Yes, I think a blind monkey could spend the budget better, let alone me 6) No, I don't think that pointing out obvious flaws means you hate a place. It means you care about the place and don't intend to move to Marin once you have a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 04:24 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Dude, even if the city had more ambulances, they wouldn't be able to get anywhere in an emergency, due to gridlock.

Funny post. Are you sure you're not "andyadhi"? lol No, you couldn't be. He's not this funny.

Hey, who knew that urine was so acidic it could corrode cast iron? What do you think the police are, chemists?

The city's lucky the lamp post didn't hit anyone, or they would've been sued into oblivion.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Dude, even if the city had more ambulances, they wouldn't be able to get anywhere in an emergency, due to gridlock.

Funny post. Are you sure you're not "andyadhi"? lol No, you couldn't be. He's not this funny.

Hey, who knew that urine was so acidic it could corrode cast iron? What do you think the police are, chemists?

The city's lucky the lamp post didn't hit anyone, or they would've been sued into oblivion.
The first underlined statement makes no sense. My statement "we don't have enough ambulances" is a fact. Your statement is an opinion that's not supported by any data or real-life experiences. In fact, outside of downtown, most of the city is not a gridlock. I have never seen gridlock on Lake, Balboa, Cabrillo, Noriega, Rivera, any of the avenues, except 19th, Joost, Grafron/Garfield etc. etc. etc. Or do you mean only downtown gets emergencies?

As to the second underlined statement, and who would have paid for that? Choose only one
A) The taxpayors
B) Willie Brown
C) Ed Lee
D) Jim Harbaugh
E) The supervisors

And take a guess how many public officials would have resigned/been fired?

Old 08-04-2015, 04:50 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
The first underlined statement makes no sense. My statement "we don't have enough ambulances" is a fact. Your statement is an opinion that's not supported by any data or real-life experiences. In fact, outside of downtown, most of the city is not a gridlock. I have never seen gridlock on Lake, Balboa, Cabrillo, Noriega, Rivera, any of the avenues, except 19th, Joost, Grafron/Garfield etc. etc. etc. Or do you mean only downtown gets emergencies?
Gawd, chill! What happened to your sense of humor?

Never mind.....

Old 08-04-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Gawd, chill! What happened to your sense of humor?

Never mind.....
Generally, I am pretty chill. When it comes to city incompetence, I am not. In fact, few topics rile me up as much as political incompetence. This city could be so much better and it is hurt by idiotic politicians.

I am sorry if I jumped you.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:33 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,936 times
And to say that I'm an intolerant and closed minded 'conservative.' Look at Ruth write ad-hominem attacks at another poster for pointing out problems that SF suffers heavily of. I love it when liberals themselves prove that I'm right about them and just how dogmatic and closed minded they are like those born again Christians who abuse the name of the lord to justify their obnoxious behavior.

Back on topic; OP, incidents like those will only become more common. The city government of SF has shown that they are myopic and inept scum who care more about ideology than to solve basic problems. Then to make matters worse, the populace of SF is infested with fools who constantly keep electing them because a lot of them too are just as short-sighted and dogmatic about their beliefs. If you want a perfect example, look at rent control. Rent control has made the housing situation worse in SF and the citizenry of SF doesn't give a dam, despite being proven by many studies that rent control, like all artificial ceilings, will only reduce supply and make the commodity more expensive. But no, let's say **** you to economics and go with our feelings because we are too dam prideful to admit we are wrong or we benefit from having low rent and who gives a dam about everybody else.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:41 PM

337 posts, read 405,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
And to say that I'm an intolerant and closed minded 'conservative.' Look at Ruth write ad-hominem attacks at another poster for pointing out problems that SF suffers heavily of. I love it when liberals themselves prove that I'm right about them and just how dogmatic and closed minded they are like those born again Christians who abuse the name of the lord to justify their obnoxious behavior.

Back on topic; OP, incidents like those will only become more common. The city government of SF has shown that they are myopic and inept scum who care more about ideology than to solve basic problems. Then to make matters worse, the populace of SF is infested with fools who constantly keep electing them because a lot of them too are just as short-sighted and dogmatic about their beliefs. If you want a perfect example, look at rent control. Rent control has made the housing situation worse in SF and the citizenry of SF doesn't give a dam, despite being proven by many studies that rent control, like all artificial ceilings, will only reduce supply and make the commodity more expensive. But no, let's say **** you to economics and go with our feelings because we are too dam prideful to admit we are wrong or we benefit from having low rent and who gives a dam about everybody else.
Even without rent control the rents would be too high.

How about going after the extortionate mafia of the rent seeking landlords?

Old 08-04-2015, 08:28 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crouching_tiger View Post
Even without rent control the rents would be too high.

How about going after the extortionate mafia of the rent seeking landlords?
That won't solve anything. The core problem is price controls, out of date zoning laws, and a populace that doesn't want to develop anything because of "feelings" (NIMBYism).

Old 08-04-2015, 08:30 PM

327 posts, read 398,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
You literally can't make this stuff up. In a city with a $10 bn budget, in the richest area of America hence the world, in a central area where thousands of cars and pedestrians pass every day, a lamp post falls almost killing a person because its base was too corroded from urine. It literally has everything that we complain about the city

- Lack of/inefficient spending on public infrastructure
- Lack of/inefficient enforcement of laws about vagrancy/public exposure etc.
- Idiotic politicians who "urge" people and dogs to pee on fire hydrants and think that's somehow a reasonable solution to an infrastructure problem. Same idiots who think that banning toys in happy meals fights obesity
- Total lack of accountability for things that are real hazards to people - bursting water pipes that spew thousands of gallons (see last week), falling lamp posts, potholed streets that could cause accidents etc. in favor of passing pointless measures that state corporations are not people
- Spending on pointless initiatives in a city that is on a major earthquake fault, yet lacks enough ambulances
- An electrical grid infrastructure with above ground lines that makes Streets look like Baghdad

Just glaring political and public employee incompetence coupled with zero accountability/zero liability. And the voters just don't care. We keep electing the same idiots all the time

Lamp post destroyed by urine falls in street, just misses driver - SFGate

And to preemptively address the cliches from the usual suspects.

1) No, I will not move. 2) I love SF, but that doesn't mean I don't think there is room for improvement. 3) I do a lot to improve the city through volunteering time, money and writing letters to politicians. 4) No, I do not think the city is perfect. 5) Yes, I think a blind monkey could spend the budget better, let alone me 6) No, I don't think that pointing out obvious flaws means you hate a place. It means you care about the place and don't intend to move to Marin once you have a kid.
Beautiful city, but very overrated because the weather isn't great, the cost of living is a joke, and you are stranded for the most part…with San Jose as the only escape…LOL. San Jose. LOL. San Jose. LOL.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:01 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
And people get upset at me when I call this place the most third world like part of USA!

Was trying to go to a public restroom behind AT&T park today but couldn't get in as there were multiple steaming piles of human feces all around the door! The whole south beach waterfront had a bum sleeping every 20 ft.. And this is where a transient shot and killed an innocent woman few weeks back! Welcome to the most expensive city in USA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland