Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 08:43 PM

483 posts, read 842,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
I hadn't awakened yet and wasn't awakened by it, and I'm near Cole/Carl.
I'm on the short strip ofArguello and was awake already. The jolt felt stronger and louder to me than Napa, but maybe because I was awake for this one. The duration and severity of the shaking was much, much worse in the Napa quake.

My wife had just gotten on the 43 outside UCSF and she and the other riders didn't notice it up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 10:20 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
I'm on the short strip ofArguello and was awake already. The jolt felt stronger and louder to me than Napa, but maybe because I was awake for this one. The duration and severity of the shaking was much, much worse in the Napa quake.

My wife had just gotten on the 43 outside UCSF and she and the other riders didn't notice it up there.
I lived in Walnut Creek for the Napa one and once again didn't feel it since we were sleeping. I feel like I'd be awakened by the "big one", but I find it strange that I don't wake up for these quakes, but when my cat pukes in the middle of the night, I hear it and wake up every dang time.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:20 AM

675 posts, read 1,190,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post
- In '89, I was in Concord and it was more of a rolling sensation, but lasted a really long time.
- I was visiting So CA when the Northridge Quake hit, that was the second biggest

Today wasn't that big a quake, but, like you said, I don't think I've ever been so close to an epicenter. It was a good four seconds of a fairly big jolt followed by some pretty violent shaking. I was sitting in bed reading the news with a cup of coffee and nearly spilled the coffee trying to set it down on the night stand so I could get in the door jam.

I felt like James Bond's vodka martini afterward and my heart was racing.

It was strong enough that I felt the need to inspect the house (it's 100 years old so I'm sure it's been through worse) to look for damage and smell for a gas line break.

it also made be realize that I not only need an earthquake kit, but an earthquake playlist!
"I feel the earth move" Carole King
"Shakin'" - The Blasters
"You shook me all night long" - AC/DC
"Shakin' all over" - Johnny Kidd
"Shake, rattle & roll" - Bill Haley and the Comets
"Shake it up" - The Cars
"Reelin' and rockin'" - Chuck Berry
"All shook up" - Elvis Presley

What did I miss?
Good stuff lol !!! As far as earthquakes, I lived in the Bay Area 7 years (1999-2006), and only felt 5 earthquakes. They are a scary thing, but they won't stop me from retiring to the Bay Area in the next 10-12 years. Right now, I have to deal with humid summers and terrible winters in NY until I move back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland