Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 11:34 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times

Advertisements

I'd suggest actually picking up the phone and contacting Comcast yourself, but given their horrible customer service, you're probably better off asking people in this thread, as opposed to being placed on hold for hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 01:25 PM

569 posts, read 780,206 times
I wish I had a dollar for every time I've had an issue with Comcast, but I have to say that after upgrading to some kind of xfinity package (internet, TV and home security), I've been pretty happy. The remote control is amazing (never thought I'd say any RC is "amazing"). It blends on demand, TV and your DVR so you can search through all of them together.

It also has a voice control option, so you can speak into the remote control and it will understand you. For example, if you say "Modern Family", it'll show you what you've recorded on the DVR, what's available on On Demand and what broadcasts are either on right now or coming up.

Like I said, I've had plenty of issues with Comcast, but their TV package is pretty sweet. The internet seems to work well, but the home security is a little buggy.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:39 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
I like Comcast, I never had a problem with them, we switched to Uverse but Comcast has better DVR menus and you can record more shows at once with Comcast, when my Uverse rates go up I will probably go back to Comcast.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:14 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Comcast was the anti-Christ before they became Xfinity imo, back in 2011ish we had to call them at least once or twice weekly about our service. I used to think U-Verse was superior but we were so happy when we moved and they didn't offer it in our new area so we could dump it early w/o penalty and sign back up with Comcast/Xfinity. U-Verse hasn't changed one bit since when I first had it in San Diego back in 2008 or so, literally the same menu, design, etc... even worse On-Demand selection now and really dated at this point too.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:13 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I'd suggest actually picking up the phone and contacting Comcast yourself, but given their horrible customer service, you're probably better off asking people in this thread, as opposed to being placed on hold for hours.
I tried today, but had no luck. When I pushed the selection that said "I don't want to open up an account yet" it disconnected. They don't have any choices that are just asking questions, so I will have to try again and just fake my purpose.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:31 PM

423 posts, read 610,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I understand you can buy your own Xfinity compatible modem and cut your modem fee with Comcast. Can you also buy a tivo and dispense with the DVR fee?
Yes, you can buy your own modem so you don't have to rent.

Google is your friend. TiVo with Comcast seems like it's doable. You still need a cable setup box, which will likely cost you. So you are not going to save money as you have to pay fees to both Comcast and TiVo. Plus you have to deal with special setup yourself.
Connect TiVo to Your Digital Adapter or Digital Cable Box

FYI. This is based on my recent comparison, on cost only, and not considering features and quality.

I had U-verse for all 3 services (TV, internet, voice) for past 4 years. I find U-Verse with their discount to be lower cost than Comcast. But somehow this year AT&T refuse to give me any significant discount. So that started my shopping comparison. Because I need international channel that is not offered by Directv, I only shopped between U-Verse, Comcast, and Dish.

For TV, Dish is the cheapest, because Dish doesn't charge for HD or DVR for 2-years. U-verse is the middle: free DVR and HD for promotional; $10 DVR and $10 for HD normally. Comcast TV is most expensive: variable discount based on the package you get; $20 for DVR and $10 for HD normally.

Here is the tricky thing that Comcast does. The low price you see on the promotion is for 1st year only. But you need to sign up for 2-year contract. Make sure you read the fine print on the regular pricing for 2nd year (that skyrockets compared to 1st year). If you average the cost of 2 years, Comcast is not cheap at all. Depending on service you get, you might get free or discounted DVR and HD for 1 year, but then 2nd year cost is $30 for DVR and HD. With Dish and U-verse, you know exactly your cost for entire duration of contact. Dish is 2 year contract, and you don't pay for HD or DVR in the 2-years. U-verse is 1 year contract, and you can get DVR and HD cost waived for 1 year.

For Internet, Comcast is better value than U-Verse. Comcast cost $30 for 25mbps, $35 for 75 mbps, $40 for 150 mbps. Offer is good for 1 year, then need to play switching game after that. U-Verse in comparison cost $37 after discount for 18 mbps.

In the end, I split up and went with U-verse for TV and voice; Comcast for Internet. I wish I can cut the cord for TV, but we are not yet ready to live with the inconvenience.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk88cal View Post
In the end, I split up and went with U-verse for TV and voice; Comcast for Internet. I wish I can cut the cord for TV, but we are not yet ready to live with the inconvenience.
voice is just VOIP and you can get the same service for under $4 a month for Ooma I like it better than Uverse or Comcast voice because I never had luck with faxing on either of those but can send and receive faxes with no problem with Ooma

Old 10-20-2015, 01:29 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,281 times
Comcast is crap. There's your information. Maybe even as bad as Time Warner. Whatever deal you initially get, the key word there is initially. They will continue to raise prices and lower service all along the way, and everything they tell you is a bald faced lie. Terrible, terrible company, but hey, they're a cable company!

Old 01-18-2016, 11:40 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
Back again. So I am moved in now (Marin County.) I have ATT U-verse for internet only, but am still in the 30 days where I can cancel without penalty. My son, who was in the house before me, had Comcast for internet only. It is faster. Still, we had both for a few weeks, and couldn't notice much practical difference, despite the speed difference, so we discontinued his Comcast. No need for voice service, as I have an Ooma, which I haven't set up yet because I'm just using cell at this point. So all I have right now on TV is Netflicks. I would like to be able to watch PBS, and I understand I could get that with Amazon Fire. Any thoughts about that?

Old 01-18-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Back again. So I am moved in now (Marin County.) I have ATT U-verse for internet only, but am still in the 30 days where I can cancel without penalty. My son, who was in the house before me, had Comcast for internet only. It is faster. Still, we had both for a few weeks, and couldn't notice much practical difference, despite the speed difference, so we discontinued his Comcast. No need for voice service, as I have an Ooma, which I haven't set up yet because I'm just using cell at this point. So all I have right now on TV is Netflicks. I would like to be able to watch PBS, and I understand I could get that with Amazon Fire. Any thoughts about that?
In Marin County you should be able to get PBS with an antenna, we are in Sacramento and have one of these and it pulls in most of the local HD channels http://www.amazon.com/Mohu-MH-110598...5%3A2470955011
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland