Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 08:33 PM

520 posts, read 611,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloguy1496 View Post
The City - San Francisco Proper
The Peninsula - San Francisco's southern border down to Mountain View, includes coastal cities
Silicon Valley - Palo Alto to Sunnyvale and Cupertino
South Bay - Palo Alto down through Santa Clara Valley/San Jose and up through Union City
Far South Bay - Morgan Hill/Gilroy
Santa Cruz - The Mountains (Not the city)
East Bay - Hayward through Berkeley, including Oakland
Far East Bay - Dublin/Pleasanton/Livermore, Lafayette/Walnut Creek/Pleasant Hill/Concord up to Pittsburgh/Antioch/Brntwood
San Ramon Valley - Danville/Alamo/San Ramon (I grew up calling it and considering it a different thing, don't know why)
North Bay - El Cerrito/Richmond/San Pablo/Vallejo/Benicia
Wine Country - Napa/Sonoma/Santa Rosa/Petaluma
Marin - Marin County

Not sure if i should consider Fairfield as part of the Bay. I know it is in a Bay Area county but it doesnt really fall into any of my sub regions except North Bay by default, although when i think of Fairfield i think of the Central Valley and jelly bellies.

Tracy is definitely Central Valley.

Some consider Santa Cruz County to be part of the Bay Area. I consider part of it as the bay area, I don't consider the city of Santa Cruz as part of the Bay Area, although an argument can be made.
El Cerrito/Richmond/San Pablo are not in the North Bay.

Lafayette and Walnut Creek are not in the Far East Bay, to the extent that's even a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 09:00 PM

123 posts, read 175,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
El Cerrito/Richmond/San Pablo are not in the North Bay.

Lafayette and Walnut Creek are not in the Far East Bay, to the extent that's even a thing.
Sorry, but that is always what I have always considered to be the north bay, as those areas are well north of where I primarily spend my time in the Bay Area. Its all relative and subjective.

I've spent a lot of time in Walnut Creek with relatives, and have many friends in the area, and all of them call the portion of the East Bay including Walnut Creek and the surrounding area from the tunnel eastward as the Far East Bay. That's also what my mother grew up calling it (an SF native), and my grandparents (resident of SF for 60 years) and I picked it up.

To the other poster...as for Santa Cruz...like I said I only consider the SC mountains as being part of the Bay Area, and I never included Santa Cruz proper.

Most of this is subjective and we all grew up calling different areas different things. The only thing that genuinely isn't debatable at all in my mind would be "the city".

Old 09-05-2015, 09:25 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Santa Cruz is not the bay. Not having one legit beach city just adds to the bay inferiority complex, so they try to claim SC.

Even Nyc and Chicago metros have beach cities, LOL.

Then again, most people in the bay are not good looking, so who wants to see them in beach attire?
What do you call Pacifica or Half Moon Bay? Or...uh, you know, the freaking city of SF (with its many beaches)?

What a weird response. Go into some weird spiel about an inferiority complex, as if that is why someone would even include SC?... Not, you know, because of the huge interconnectedness of the areas? I don't consider it the Bay Area myself, but it's not a huge reach... And I doubt anyone who would add SC to their definition cares how that addition makes SF look compared to NY (lol).

Old 09-05-2015, 09:54 PM

520 posts, read 611,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloguy1496 View Post
Sorry, but that is always what I have always considered to be the north bay, as those areas are well north of where I primarily spend my time in the Bay Area. Its all relative and subjective.

I've spent a lot of time in Walnut Creek with relatives, and have many friends in the area, and all of them call the portion of the East Bay including Walnut Creek and the surrounding area from the tunnel eastward as the Far East Bay. That's also what my mother grew up calling it (an SF native), and my grandparents (resident of SF for 60 years) and I picked it up.
I guess it's subjective in the sense that there's not a formal definition of the East Bay, but governmental entities like the East Bay Regional Parks District and East Bay MUD include West and Central Costa County. I also don't think you would catch anyone living in West Contra Costa County describing themselves as living in the North Bay. I think Walnut Creek, etc., were more likely to be called the Far East Bay before Antioch, Brentwood, etc. grew and took the title. But these are all anectodal distinctions that we can argue about indefinitely.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:14 PM

123 posts, read 175,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
I guess it's subjective in the sense that there's not a formal definition of the East Bay, but governmental entities like the East Bay Regional Parks District and East Bay MUD include West and Central Costa County. I also don't think you would catch anyone living in West Contra Costa County describing themselves as living in the North Bay. I think Walnut Creek, etc., were more likely to be called the Far East Bay before Antioch, Brentwood, etc. grew and took the title. But these are all anectodal distinctions that we can argue about indefinitely.
You are definitley right. I definitely consider the Walnut Creek area as being part of the geographical East Bay subregion. I think that the major East Bay subregion an be divided into even further subregions, such as the Far East Bay, Inner East Bay, etc. based on consistencies in architecture, geography, urban planning, development patterns, etc..along with subjective reasons based on personal experiences and who you grew up around. By that logic, Walnut Creek/Concord is very different from Oakland and San Leandro but a lot more like Dublin or Antioch. By that same logic, Richmond certainly has more in common with Oakland than Vallejo, which would make it East Bay. However, personal experience inclines me to call it the North Bay (because I have spent 99% of my time in the Bay Area well south of Richmond). In fact I know a few people with extreme opinions who consider the East Bay to be no further than the Oakland Hills (I don't agree). It can get complex when there are no predefined borders to these subregions and sub-subregions. We'll agree to disagree

Last edited by sloguy1496; 09-05-2015 at 10:22 PM..

Old 09-06-2015, 12:49 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
What do you call Pacifica or Half Moon Bay? Or...uh, you know, the freaking city of SF (with its many beaches)?

What a weird response. Go into some weird spiel about an inferiority complex, as if that is why someone would even include SC?... Not, you know, because of the huge interconnectedness of the areas? I don't consider it the Bay Area myself, but it's not a huge reach... And I doubt anyone who would add SC to their definition cares how that addition makes SF look compared to NY (lol).
Pacifica and HMB can barely be called towns, let alone cities.

Santa Cruz is not interconnected to the bay really at all. Don't get me wrong, Silicon Valley drives people bonkers to the point that they will commute from SC.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:40 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
Santa Cruz is not interconnected to the bay really at all.
It's connected enough to be included in the same CSA (which means it sends a good amount of commuters to the Bay Area). Of course most people don't consider it a part of the Bay Area in real life, but I'd say it's a bit more connected than "not really at all".

Quote:
Santa Cruz is not the bay. Not having one legit beach city just adds to the bay inferiority complex, so they try to claim SC.

Even Nyc and Chicago metros have beach cities, LOL.

Then again, most people in the bay are not good looking, so who wants to see them in beach attire?
SF itself is a beach city, genuis. And it sounds like you need to get your eyes checked.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:38 PM

314 posts, read 487,270 times
SF: Echoing the previous comments, San Francisco /SF/The City is only the City and County of San Francisco itself.

East Bay: All of Alameda and Contra Costa counties, with the exception of the sliver on the other side of the Altamont. The region can be subdivided between the 510 (inner East Bay): Crockett/Richmond to Fremont and the 925 (outer East Bay): Martinez, Tri Valley, Livermore, and Sunol. However, the tri valley- esp Walnut Creek and Concord area is more central than "outer." But then again, I was born in Berkeley and raised in Oakland, but went to a private HS in Orinda so maybe I'm biased? I also had more friends from there than on my side of the hills. All nearly cities on the bay side from Crockett to Fremont have industrial areas near the bay with some tougher neighborhoods, but really nice ones in the hills. Even the "tougher" cities of Richmond, Oakland, and Hayward have expensive real estate overlooking the bay. Newark, Union City, and Fremont have links to the South Bay, but are still considered with the East Bay.

South Bay: Nearly all of Santa Clara county, the cutoff is somewhere around Morgan Hill. Gilroy is kind of either way, but the bay definitely goes no further. Santa Cruz is not included.

Peninsula: San Mateo County plus Palo Alto. Quick question: do you consider the San Mateo County coastline south of Half Moon Bay to be part of the bay, yes or no?

North Bay: Marin, Sonoma, Napa, and Solano County up to Fairfield. Vacaville and Dixon belong to Sacramento culturally even though they are part of our region officially. The Warriors-Kings blackout line in which the other team cannot be watched on CSNBA/CA runs through Vacaville. The Bay ends after Santa Rosa in Sonoma county. Does the bay include all of Napa or just the southern part? Note that it borders Lake county to the North and Yolo to the east, which are never included in the 9 county Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland