Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 09:46 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,125,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post
Do food stamps still exist? I think cards called EBT cards are what's used these days.

Also, my understanding is that there's a limit on the total they can spend with the EBT cards. If it's true, what difference would it make if they buy high-priced food when the total they can spend is limited?
It has to do with taxes I think. From my understanding, government assistance funds can't be used to buy items that have a tax. That's why they can't buy cigarettes and alcohol with government assistance funds, and that's why some will try to get cash in exchange so they can then use the cash for cigarettes and alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 10:29 AM

758 posts, read 550,772 times
Quote:
Do food stamps still exist? I think cards called EBT cards are what's used these days.

Also, my understanding is that there's a limit on the total they can spend with the EBT cards. If it's true, what difference would it make if they buy high-priced food when the total they can spend is limited?
I'm not sure I understand your meaning but I think you are asking why anyone should care if someone shops at Whole Foods with EBT cards. I'll take a stab at answering.

1)The issue is not "good food" vs. "bad food."

The good food/bad food fight is really about whether people with EBT cards have so few shopping options that they have to buy food at small mom-and-pop liquor and convenience stores. Such stores have fewer veggies, more high-salt canned goods, more low-quality meats than do full service grocery stores. This issue is one of the motivations for giving tax benefits to companies to open grocery stores in a wider range of places.

2)The issue is not organic vs. non-organic food.

Ten years ago, maybe, places like Safeway and Lucky's had little in the way of organic food. But that's no longer true. Indeed, Whole Foods now stocks more non-organic food and has started to blur the distinction. So, this is not the issue.

3)The issue (to those who raise this issue, I think) whether someone in need should try to stretch the resource.

If you look at Whole Foods, there is a mark-up on items both Whole Foods and Safeway both sell. But that markup is not really that much. The real mark-up comes in that Whole Foods has stuff Safeway does not have. The quality difference for a given good may be as follows:

.................................Safeway....Whole Foods
Low quality good.............Has...........Lacks
Quality good...................Has............Has
Luxury good................. Lacks...........Has

or even:

Low quality good.............Some.........Few
Quality good...................Lots...........Some
Luxury good....................Few...........Lots

The reason one might wonder about shopping at Whole Foods with EBT cards is, for example, yes, it can be healthy to have a veggie sandwich with cheese, and both Safeway and Whole Foods sell the material for that sandwich with good levels of quality. But, one can more likely get luxury cheeses at Whole Foods that Safeway does not have. And, as that may be the biggest difference between the chains, it may make some wonder whether those who go there may be more likely to end up with luxury goods (e.g., high end cheese instead of a good Wisconsin cheddar). And, it is a fair question whether taxpayers should pay for people who can't afford food to have luxury cheeses.

YET, please note, no one can really know what the person was buying, and the invasiveness necessary to learn that would be horrible to all of us. Further, Whole Foods (and any business) is not going to support legislation to make it illegal to spend money (even taxpayer's money) in their store. And the cheesemakers (blessed are the cheesemakers!) aren't going to support placing cheeses in explicit categories and banning the sale of some cheeses to people buying in different ways (e.g., credit card, debit card, cash, EBT). So, we're pretty much going to have the situation we have, for pretty much every good we place in the category of food.

That said, I believe it is this third issue--should taxpayers pay so poor people can have luxury goods?--that is behind the questions. In sum, none of us want anyone to starve. But, you don't have to be Ebenezer Scrooge to wonder whether it is fair to have poor people eating luxury cheese from Whole Foods paid for by others, many of whom can't even afford to shop there.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
I'm not sure I understand your meaning but I think you are asking why anyone should care if someone shops at Whole Foods with EBT cards. I'll take a stab at answering.

1)The issue is not "good food" vs. "bad food."

The good food/bad food fight is really about whether people with EBT cards have so few shopping options that they have to buy food at small mom-and-pop liquor and convenience stores. Such stores have fewer veggies, more high-salt canned goods, more low-quality meats than do full service grocery stores. This issue is one of the motivations for giving tax benefits to companies to open grocery stores in a wider range of places.

2)The issue is not organic vs. non-organic food.

Ten years ago, maybe, places like Safeway and Lucky's had little in the way of organic food. But that's no longer true. Indeed, Whole Foods now stocks more non-organic food and has started to blur the distinction. So, this is not the issue.

3)The issue (to those who raise this issue, I think) whether someone in need should try to stretch the resource.

If you look at Whole Foods, there is a mark-up on items both Whole Foods and Safeway both sell. But that markup is not really that much. The real mark-up comes in that Whole Foods has stuff Safeway does not have. The quality difference for a given good may be as follows:

Low quality good.............Has...........Lacks
Quality good...................Has............Has
Luxury good................. Lacks...........Has

or even:

Low quality good.............Some.........Few
Quality good...................Lots...........Some
Luxury good....................Few...........Lots

The reason one might wonder about shopping at Whole Foods with EBT cards is, for example, yes, it can be healthy to have a veggie sandwich with cheese, and both Safeway and Whole Foods sell the material for that sandwich with good levels of quality. But, one can more likely get luxury cheeses at Whole Foods that Safeway does not have. And, as that may be the biggest difference between the chains, it may make some wonder whether those who go there may be more likely to end up with luxury goods (e.g., high end cheese instead of a good Wisconsin cheddar). And, it is a fair question whether taxpayers should pay for people who can't afford food to have luxury cheeses.

YET, please note, no one can really know what the person was buying, and the invasiveness necessary to learn that would be horrible to all of us. Further, Whole Foods (and any business) is not going to support legislation to make it illegal to spend money (even taxpayer's money) in their store. And the cheesemakers (blessed are the cheesemakers!) aren't going to support placing cheeses in explicit categories and banning the sale of some cheeses to people buying in different ways (e.g., credit card, debit card, cash, EBT). So, we're pretty much going to have the situation we have, for pretty much every good we place in the category of food.

That said, I believe it is this third issue--should taxpayers pay so poor people can have luxury goods?--that is behind the questions. In sum, none of us want anyone to starve. But, you don't have to be Ebenezer Scrooge to wonder whether it is fair to have poor people eating luxury cheese from Whole Foods paid for by others, many of whom can't even afford to shop there.
What luxury items was the guy trying to buy? It doesn't matter if they are buying luxury cheese or mass produced cheese. What matters is if the items are taxable or not. Non-food items are taxable. From my understanding, government assist funds in the form of "food stamps or equivalent" can not be used to purchase items that are taxable. I would think they do this because the government assistance funds are from taxes paid to the government and the government doesn't want these same funds to be spent paying government taxes.

I do about 75% of my food shopping at Lunardi's and they except EBT. And Lunardi's is considered somewhat of a "luxury" grocery store with a higher quality of products than Safeway and Lucky's (Remember Albertsons, QFI, etc?). I do shop at Molly Stones every so often so I'm not sure about them, but I would bet that they also except EBT as well, and they are like Lunardi's where they carry the higher quality or "luxury" type of groceries. So high quality/luxury type groceries is not the issue with EBT. The issue in regards to EBT usage is the tax.

Most importantly, the guy assaulted the security guard after violently destroying products not purchased. Doesn't matter who does this. Stand by while the ship is in a turn, prepare for the jet blast and brace for shock because the security detail is going to accommodate those adverse actions effectively and appropriately.

Last edited by FC76-81; 09-10-2015 at 11:47 AM..

Old 09-10-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
What luxury items was the guy trying to buy? It doesn't matter if they are buying luxury cheese or mass produced cheese. What matters is if the items are taxable or not. Non-food items are taxable. From my understanding, government assist funds in the form of "food stamps or equivalent" can not be used to purchase items that are taxable. I would think they do this because the government assistance funds are from taxes paid to the government and the government doesn't want these same funds to be spent paying government taxes.

I do about 75% of my food shopping at Lunardi's and they except EBT. And Lunardi's is considered somewhat of a "luxury" grocery store with a higher quality of products than Safeway and Lucky's (Remember Albertsons, QFI, etc?). I do shop at Molly Stones every so often so I'm not sure about them, but I would bet that they also except EBT as well, and they are like Lunardi's where they carry the higher quality or "luxury" type of groceries. So high quality/luxury type groceries is not the issue with EBT. The issue in regards to EBT usage is the tax.
FC, you're answering a different question than I was answering. You were answering "Why can't someone buy cat food with an EBT card?", which was asked by 3rdGen in their first post. Their second post asked "Why should anyone care that they are shopping at Whole Foods?".

The answer to the cat food question is a matter of law, and I believe you are correct (and that's one reason the quality of cheese bought is not a matter of law). The answer to the where to shop question is a matter of speculation at this point, and I offered my sense of the reasons people might ask such questions. But, there is little empirical evidence on this, so if you or anyone else has other explanations, that's fine.

I hope this clarifies the matter. In case it doesn't, I'll write it in bold letters: I am not disagreeing with you.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
FC, you're answering a different question than I was answering. You were answering "Why can't someone buy cat food with an EBT card?", which was asked by 3rdGen in their first post. Their second post asked "Why should anyone care that they are shopping at Whole Foods?".

The answer to the cat food question is a matter of law, and I believe you are correct (and that's one reason the quality of cheese bought is not a matter of law). The answer to the where to shop question is a matter of speculation at this point, and I offered my sense of the reasons people might ask such questions. But, there is little empirical evidence on this, so if you or anyone else has other explanations, that's fine.

I hope this clarifies the matter. In case it doesn't, I'll write it in bold letters: I am not disagreeing with you.
Yeah I've probably mashed in a bunch of answers into one posting that I had quoted one specific post. I just read through the entire thread and then wanted to add input.

I'd also like to add that the store has to follow what the government has laid down in regards to EBT policies and procedures or they will be fined big time. The government will iron fist anyone who goes against these policies. I personally knew a family who owned and operated a mom and pop convenience store. Some of the locals persuaded them to allow them to purchase taxable items with their government assistance funds. Eventually the government found out and they paid a very heavy fine, almost run out of business plus threatened with being deported back to Vietnam. And this was just some piddly diddly hole in the wall convenience store. Just imagine how the government would pounce on the opportunity to fine and penalize a larger outfit like Whole Foods and whatever affiliation it has.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:15 PM

32 posts, read 105,088 times
"Also, what makes the fact that Ms. Marks was there a "set up"? The fact that she's a "social justice warrior" might mean that she's merely willing to stand up for a wrong instead of ignoring it. If reports that the shopper was drunk and combative are true, you really think she talked him into causing a stink and spitting in the guard's face just to get beat up?"

Here is her resume.
Zoe Marks | Women and Public Policy Program, Harvard Kennedy School
Zoe Marks - People - Centre of African Studies

Rather convenient for her of all people to be there. I just don't believe in coincidence's. Its too convenient. She is a professional grievance collector. I doubt that she talked him into doing what got him beat. Just that she would be there to provide witness to a contrived event that would have just shown him being denied service so she could get her 15 min of fame in camera face time. The fact that he was drunk and acted out was something he did on his own and probably surprised her as well others.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:52 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,664,766 times
Quote:

I would say that whole foods is a premium market with premium prices and someones EBT/foodstamp dollars would not go as far. I would questions someones need for assistance if they shop somewhere as expensive as whole foods knowing that they will be able to buy far less food there. I would call that an abuse of the program and my tax dollars.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:05 PM

I hadn't seen this article when I posted that Safeway and Whole Foods are close in price, but:

Whole Foods vs. Safeway: A price comparison of popular grocery items - SFGate

there's the supporting evidence. However, that's a price comparison of the same items across two stores. The other point--that there's more luxury stuff at Whole Foods--still stands.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:16 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
Quote:
I hadn't seen this article when I posted that Safeway and Whole Foods are close in price, but:

Whole Foods vs. Safeway: A price comparison of popular grocery items - SFGate

there's the supporting evidence. However, that's a price comparison of the same items across two stores. The other point--that there's more luxury stuff at Whole Foods--still stands.
Who gives a ****?

Old 09-10-2015, 11:50 PM

817 posts, read 922,193 times
Quote:
Pardon the digression, but why would cat food not be allowed to be purchased with EBT cards if it's food? Is only food intended for consumption by humans allowed? I recall in the past poor, starving old ladies used to buy cat food using food stamps, and they ate the cat food themselves.
SNAP/Calfresh assistance is for humans, not pets.

There used to be stories of seniors faced with having to eat dog food, due to Reaganomics. I never heard of the pet food being purchased with food stamps or EBT. Are you sure the stories said that EBT or food stamps were used for the purchase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
It has to do with taxes I think. From my understanding, government assistance funds can't be used to buy items that have a tax. That's why they can't buy cigarettes and alcohol with government assistance funds, and that's why some will try to get cash in exchange so they can then use the cash for cigarettes and alcohol.
Not as much with taxes as with the eligible items are necessities being exempted from sales tax. When groceries were taxed at the full rate in Illinois, they could be purchased with food stamps.

In several California counties, seniors, the disabled, and the homeless can purchase hot prepared meals from restaurants with EBT. Those are taxable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland