Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 03:38 PM

2 posts, read 12,705 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the area (live in El Cerrito Albany line) and I find that even a trip to the grocery store is more expensive than Boston. I have been to Safe Way, El Cerrito Natural Grocery, Whole Foods, Endronica's and the Berkely Bowl to name a few. I like all natuaral foods (organic) any suggestions? I'm also a member at Costco, but hate buying everythnig in bulk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 03:46 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Smart & Final is the way to go, around here. Warehouse club prices with no warehouse club membership to buy. There's one in Richmond at San Pablo & Kirk. Organic might be tough; you might want to try Trader Joe's too.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:20 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
I'll second Trader Joes. You can also find stuff at the Grocery Outlet in Berkeley. That place is always a crap shoot at what they have, though, since they buy overstocks and packaging changes...

Old 01-29-2008, 02:27 PM

36 posts, read 229,002 times
I just had this conversation with my friends and the only thing we came up with is trader joe's for dry goods, costco for paper products and Rainbow grocery (in SF) for the rest which is probably the equivilent of Berkeley Bowl but smaller. What really cut my bill was buying Alice Water's new book "the art of simple cooking". Make your own stocks etc. but that's a whole other topic!

Old 01-29-2008, 05:32 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiclark View Post
I just had this conversation with my friends and the only thing we came up with is trader joe's for dry goods, costco for paper products and Rainbow grocery (in SF) for the rest which is probably the equivilent of Berkeley Bowl but smaller. What really cut my bill was buying Alice Water's new book "the art of simple cooking". Make your own stocks etc. but that's a whole other topic!
Cooking from scratch is a time honored way of saving real money... there's a learning curve to it, but once you get it down, it's great.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:49 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
wait until summer, fresh fruit and veggies will be very inexpensive compared to Boston.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:01 PM

300 posts, read 1,849,288 times
For fresh inexpensive produce, try Monterey Market at 1550 Hopkins Street in Berkeley. Cooking everything from scratch is definitely the way to save money. Prepared foods are expensive and the same things made fresh from scratch are not only less expensive, but because they aren't filled with preservatives and chemicals, are also healthier food offerings. By purchasing fresh produce and bulk foods at either Berkeley Bowl or Monterey Market, shopping for fish at Trader Joe's, and making everything from scratch, which I learned to do from my mother and grandmother, I am able to feed two adults for 50.00 a week and we eat very well.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:39 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,421 times
I feel your pain Jennifer. I moved to San Jose from Iowa and was sticker shocked even at the grocery store.

I was lucky though... I'm in the military and could shop at the commisary on Moffet.

BTW, I used to live in Boston and loved every minute of it.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:03 AM

175 posts, read 795,433 times
Default Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by guthrie_jennifer View Post
I'm new to the area (live in El Cerrito Albany line) and I find that even a trip to the grocery store is more expensive than Boston. I have been to Safe Way, El Cerrito Natural Grocery, Whole Foods, Endronica's and the Berkely Bowl to name a few. I like all natuaral foods (organic) any suggestions? I'm also a member at Costco, but hate buying everythnig in bulk.

Although, I like Trader Joe's it is expensive. You'll find fresh produce and fruit much cheaper here. There is always super walmart's if you want to buy less than the bulk costco sells. Safeway is on the high end but they deliver which is very nice.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:42 AM

105 posts, read 331,234 times
Default Trader Joe's is cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisande View Post
Although, I like Trader Joe's it is expensive. You'll find fresh produce and fruit much cheaper here. There is always super walmart's if you want to buy less than the bulk costco sells. Safeway is on the high end but they deliver which is very nice.
Are you kidding? Trader Joe's is by far the cheapest. I'm a budget shopper. I always compare prices when it comes to food. However almost everything has gone up, even at Trader Joe's but its still cheaper than Safeway, Luckys, Whole Foods. Here is a list of just part of the things I buy at Trader Joe's:

Agave Necter sweetner $2.99.

Large 12 dozen eggs $1.79

1.5 litter bottle water .49 each

pasta sauce $2.99

half&half pint size .99

Half gallon milk $2.49

Bananas .19 each Organic/Bananas .29 each

13 oz french roast coffee $4.99

can of corn .69

Natures path flax plus raisin bran cereal $2.49

You can't beat the price of that. Of course you can find fruits cheaper at the Farmer's Market but they don't sell the basic everyday staples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland