Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2015, 10:57 AM

14 posts, read 29,591 times

Advertisements

My family will be relocating to Concord from Los Angeles for a new job.

Where is a good place to live in Concord? What areas should I avoid?

I am looking into apartments or home rentals for around $2400 tops that takes cats.

I was in contact with the Concord PD and they said to stay away from the Monument corridor, downtown and anywhere near the freeway.

Also, would Martinez be an acceptable alternative? I don't really know anything about that area.
Walnut Creek is a little too expensive for us.

Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 11:44 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
If you’re looking for good schools Martinez is your best bet with that budget. You could also look into 2-bedroom apartments in Pleasant Hill, not sure if you need a house and/or 3-br.

I agree avoiding Monument, basically the whole area bounded by Clayton Rd, Monument Blvd, Galindo St. I also would avoid the neighborhoods to the north and south of Solano Way. The rest of North Concord is alright, not the best but not the worst or that crime/gang ridden. The best areas of Concord tend to be farther down Clayton Rd and Concord Blvd heading towards the city of Clayton. Also the areas near the Walnut Creek border in an around Treat Blvd/Ygnacio Valley Rd. Public Schools overall are pretty mediocre to bad, there are some good elementary schools here and there but that’s about it.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:53 PM

Thank you!
We drove up to Concord this past weekend to scope put the city. Most of it looks like a fun place to live.
And everyone was right about the Monument area. Sheesh!

Old 09-21-2015, 11:48 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Martinez is very nice, prices should be comparable to Concord or a bit lower. It's a very safe town, my son lives there and loves it. Martinez is quieter than Concord and maybe not as 'fun', but you might want to drive around and see what you think.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:56 PM

49 posts, read 68,639 times
whats wrong with Monument Blvd? They've got a Costco there.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:29 AM

522 posts, read 736,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Troll View Post
whats wrong with Monument Blvd? They've got a Costco there.
IT'S NOT WHITE SO IT' BAD OH NOOOOO!!! JK... bu that does seem to be the sentiment of a lot of people in the area.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:05 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
IT'S NOT WHITE SO IT' BAD OH NOOOOO!!! JK... bu that does seem to be the sentiment of a lot of people in the area.
I think people are more bothered by the gangs, shootings, occasional murders, robberies, and general trashy nature of the area.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:41 PM

Hello, all! City-Data said that this thread still gets read often, so I thought I'd update it with a conclusion, of sorts.
I've been living in Concord for the last year and half now. We ended up living off of Clayton Rd and Wharton Way, backing up to the Newhall Community Park.
I would highly recommend Concord to anyone; especially families. There are numerous parks, hiking trails, playgrounds, shopping centers (with a new mall being built near the Concord / Pleasant Hill border), restaurants galore.
I have never fallen in love with a city more quickly than I have in Concord. Todos Santos Plaza offers farmer's markets, concerts, lots of great restaurants (most local Nor Cal places), a movie theater that has just been renovated with leather recliners. Every 4th of July there is a parade around the plaza area. Every Christmas season you can sing with the mayor and line up to see Santa Claus. Every Monday night there is a food truck event. And this is all in just one area of the city.
If you have kids, you should try and make it to as many parks as possible. Most of them are great and have fun playgrounds. The Concord Parks and Rec offers everything from sports to arts to swimming lessons to senior outings.
There is a small amusement park called Pixie Land, which is a fun and affordable place to take your young kids.
And of course, there are some great restaurants, with more coming in all the time. Check out Yelp for reviews on EJ Phair, The Hop Grenade, Lima, Taqueria Los Gallos, Eureka - just to name a few.
Overall, it has been a beautiful place to live with my family and raise my daughter. I love the Winter and Spring when the hills are green and the rivers are flowing. It is really a great mix of urban, suburban life and nature. Summer gets a little hot, but pretty much everywhere has A/C or a pool.
Crime has never been an issue in the neighborhood I live in. 2 car break ins in the area because people left valuables in their cars.
It's a great, clean city full of some pretty awesome and diverse people. It retains a small town vibe with all the amenities of a big city.
And, of course, San Francisco and all that has to offer is only about a 45 minute drive.
I hope this helps! Feel free to ask me questions.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:49 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Thanks for your update! Glad your family likes it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland