Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it better for a middle class citizen (with no kids) to rent or own?
Rent 12 35.29%
Own 22 64.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 08:55 AM

816 posts, read 968,239 times

Advertisements

The way I look at it is this... I like to sleep 8 hours... Basic overheads 2 hours. 14 hours left.. 8-9 hour work day. 5 precious hours left... You guys are throwing out 75-90 minute commutes as if you had 40 hours in the day...

I personally don't think its that cool for me to be spending 2-3 hours in a car... I actually fled a "third world" country for that reason.

Maybe SF has it easier, but in SV, to achieve:
1) A nice house
2) Good School
3) Low Crime
4) 30 minute commute.

No way you get those in less than a million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 09:41 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Contrary to popular belief, not every good paying job is in San Francisco. I mean, really. Think about the statement you're attempting to make. You knew someone from Stockton who commuted to Redwood City. So are we supposed to then believe that everyone who lives in Stockton has a 2-hour commute?

Where I live 75% of the people who commute down 101 only go to Marin (I learned that through the SMART train statistics, which supports my own observations). The vast majority of people I know through my kids school, my job, my neighborhood, most families live and work right in Sonoma County. Very few commute all the way to Oakland or San Francisco, and the ones who do usually tire of it and ultimately find a job closer to home.

Sure, I hear horror stories about people in high tech jobs down in Silicone Valley having to live in their cars, but given the exaggerations I see on these forums, I'm beginning to question whether that's even true. But lets accept for the sake of argument that if you work for Google, you can't buy anything within two hours of the facility. Okay fine. But the Bay Area is much bigger than just Silicone Valley (which technically isn't even the bay area), and not everyone in Northern California works for Google. MOST people who live and work in the Bay Area are not commuting 3 hours a day to get to their jobs.
This is actually a good point, the majority of workers commute to a job within the same county they live in. Obviously SF and SV are the regions largest job centers but some people on this forum put a bit too much emphasis on that is where everyone has to or will work.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:56 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,664,998 times
How are the unskilled laborers and service industry people surviving here? Multigenerational households? Multifamily households?

Old 09-23-2015, 11:46 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,908 times
Quote:
A good percentage of residents on the 101 corridor of Sonoma County commute to San Francisco.
83% of workers who live in Sonoma County work in Sonoma County. Only 2.8% work in San Francisco. A larger percentage (7.7%) commute to Marin County.

Source

Old 09-23-2015, 12:05 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,908 times
This question cannot be answered for everyone. That said, for my own situation in Silicon Valley, renting is a clear winner right now. I'm currently paying $2700 for a duplex unit. On a recent walk through the neighborhood I noticed a house for sale with the same bed/bath count, slightly lower square footage and slightly less outdoor space (not sure that exactly balances since it was freestanding single family, but seems roughly comparable to me). Asking $799k. From a Bankrate caculator, assuming I could put down 20%, my monthly PITI would be $3,955. That does not include maintenance. If you add 1% of home value/year for maintenance we're up to $4600/month. It would take 6 years of sustained 10% annual rent increases (which has never happened) for my rent to reach that high, during which time I would have saved over $80,000 in lower housing payments.

It's no wonder so many rentals are being built right now, and rent keeps going up. As awful as renting is around here, buying is even worse.

The above example assumes I could actually come up with $160,000 for a down payment. But that's not going to happen any time soon. High monthly expenses, not the least of which being rent, leave relatively little left over for savings each month, and I also have to think about other savings priorities such as retirement, college savings, etc. I'd estimate it would take over 10 years to come up with that down payment, but by then houses will be more expensive.

It becomes clearer to me every day that I will eventually leave the Bay Area.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:13 PM

540 posts, read 653,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
All those places are at least 1.5hrs each way if not two hours each way to SF.

I knew someone that commuted from Stockton to redwood city every day. Just because someone can do it doesn't make it reasonable.
How is Richmond or Concord 1.5 hours each way to SF? In light traffic a drive from Concord to SF is about 30-45 minutes. Bart is 1 hour with all the stops. Richmond is even closer.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:51 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Here in the Bay Area the median earner has no choice unless in possession of an inheritance, previously earned assets from a past period of higher income, a very large amount of equity from a home in another area, or, is willing to live in a challenged area / distant exurb / closet.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
How are the unskilled laborers and service industry people surviving here? Multigenerational households? Multifamily households?
Multifamily in rentals in bad areas, or, commuting from the outskirts of Yosemite.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Sorry to burst your assumptions, but I'm living in the 4th house we've owned in the Bay Area over the last 20 years. And I'm not sharing my household income but suffice to say, we fall within your definition of middle class. Last month, a house on my court sold to a couple who just bought their first house. Husband is a college professor, the wife is a secretary. They are within walking distance of the school where they both work, and they are nowhere near millionnaires.

And as far as listening to what people on these forums are saying, I am listening. And what I'm hearing is that people need to spend less time complaining about home prices, and more time looking for jobs in affordable areas. Like I said before, all the jobs in the bay area aren't in San Francisco. Believe it or not, it IS possible finding work outside the city.
You gambled and won using leverage. Some win, some lose, when gambling.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:29 PM

816 posts, read 968,239 times
Lets change a few parameters in your e.g.

.... 800K home borrowing 640K... @ 7/1 ARM @ 3.1%
Monthly: $3,566.24

First year principle paid: $16.5K = monthly back into your pocket = 1,300.

Itemized tax deductible = 24K Interest + 10K Property tax = 34K... assume 25% marginal tax.

Actual interest/prop tax paid. = (1-0.25)*34K = 25K

So your ACTUAL COST TO BORROW is just over 2K. The rest is equity. You are losing 700 dollars a month to rent.

You may want to factor in opportunity cost of the 20% you put down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
This question cannot be answered for everyone. That said, for my own situation in Silicon Valley, renting is a clear winner right now. I'm currently paying $2700 for a duplex unit. On a recent walk through the neighborhood I noticed a house for sale with the same bed/bath count, slightly lower square footage and slightly less outdoor space (not sure that exactly balances since it was freestanding single family, but seems roughly comparable to me). Asking $799k. From a Bankrate caculator, assuming I could put down 20%, my monthly PITI would be $3,955. That does not include maintenance. If you add 1% of home value/year for maintenance we're up to $4600/month. It would take 6 years of sustained 10% annual rent increases (which has never happened) for my rent to reach that high, during which time I would have saved over $80,000 in lower housing payments.

It's no wonder so many rentals are being built right now, and rent keeps going up. As awful as renting is around here, buying is even worse.

The above example assumes I could actually come up with $160,000 for a down payment. But that's not going to happen any time soon. High monthly expenses, not the least of which being rent, leave relatively little left over for savings each month, and I also have to think about other savings priorities such as retirement, college savings, etc. I'd estimate it would take over 10 years to come up with that down payment, but by then houses will be more expensive.

It becomes clearer to me every day that I will eventually leave the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland