Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2015, 09:15 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,246,150 times

Advertisements

im just curious about prices (want to compare them to LA) but zillow isn't showing many.

the site we use down here is westsiderentals.com.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 09:26 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
craigslist.org

Old 09-24-2015, 08:06 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
craigslist.org
Yep. The housing market here is so hot, that nobody needs to pay for an ad anywhere. They just run ads for open houses on CL and do the bidding from there.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:17 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,016 times
Craigslist will probably do you no good. You will go to an open house with like 100 other people. It is getting really, really bad. You have to know someone.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:57 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Craigslist will probably do you no good. You will go to an open house with like 100 other people. It is getting really, really bad. You have to know someone.
He's just wanting to compare prices, not actually lease anything - at least from what I gathered.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:25 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,123,161 times
You can tell me if I'm wrong but, CL isn't that great of a resource for accurate information you're trying to get because (since it's completely free to post on that site) great numbers who advertise rentals on it are slumlords and what they are trying to offer is shear garbage places to live.

Reason why I feel this way is because I have a chick friend who over the past 8 or so years has moved about two to three times. She looks on CL and I've gone with her about 99% of the time since she doesn't want to go alone when looking at rentals. Some of the stuff I've seen is just incredible. Broken windows, water & termite damage, doors with holes punched in them and a piece of sheet metal bolted over the hole, you name it. Total garbage. She's also gone through rental agencies which those are much better because their clients are held to a higher standard. And in most cases, rents reflect this higher standard.

So there are variables which quality is one of the factors.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:41 PM

168 posts, read 285,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Plus a lot of the ads on craigslist are fake (or at least misleading). A friend moved here in May, looking for one-bedrooms - one person on craigslist wanted the deposit check before he'd show my friend the place (Danger! Danger!); for another, the "one bedroom" advertised on craigslist turned out to be one of two bedrooms in a two-bedroom apartment (to be shared with a stranger!).

I like Zumper - particularly since you can search by map, and various specific criteria.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:49 PM

569 posts, read 779,838 times
Yes there are scams on craigslist, but that doesn't mean they all (or even a majority) are. We've used it for properties where we are landlords, as well as one time when we were a tenant. Haven't had a bad experience. For the OP's purposes, I think it'll work as long as you're familiar enough with the area to disregard the ones that sound too good to be true. If not familiar enough to weed out the scams, just looking at ones holding open houses would be a pretty good filter as that tends to make it very likely to be real.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:22 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,016 times
Slum lording is the norm in the bay. There is no incentive for landlords to upkeep properties. Rents go up regardless of quality.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:25 PM

43 posts, read 58,457 times
Craigslist is the main source for info on apartment rentals. There are a few scams here and there, but they are pretty easy to spot. If it sounds too good to be true, than it probably isn't true. The vast majority of listings on Craigslist are legit. Scams usually get quickly reported and taken down. Most listings have pictures.

Next best place to look for rentals is Hotpads.com. You will get a few things not found on Craigslist though there is a lot of overlap between the two.

Zillow and Trulia (same parent company) both have rental listings. I prefer Trulia because you can see crime overlays to help you decide the relative safety of a neighborhood.

Best of luck on your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: