Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 06:16 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
He isn't assuming you cant speak english, he is just trying to impress you that he can speak mandarin. Most of the Chinese girls I know are so impressed when they meet a white guy who can speak Chinese Geez

Are you not used to being hit on? That's the only way I can see you not getting that he was trying to flirt with you. Is it that shocking someone would be attracted to you? lol
Dude, tell a white girl who is above average in looks that she is really pretty, and she probably will not take well to it. Do you spend much time around women who isn't your girlfriend or wife at all? I do, and if women keep hearing the same thing over and over again they get sick of it. I have several Asian words, some of them women, and they hate it when guys try the same tired lines and ways of trying to talk to them over and over again (highlighting their foreignness). Why is this something so many men can't wrap their heads around, I have no idea. I get sick of that crap too when people find out I'm Puerto Rican, and ask me where in Mexico I'm from or do I speak "Mexican". Hell, even Americans living in Japan get sick of that same treatment after a while! My wife is British and HATES it when people here comment on her accent.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:17 PM

149 posts, read 181,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayDiva View Post
As someone who speaks a language other than English, I am personally amused and not insulted if someone else tries to speak in my first language. Granted I'm Asian and oftentimes assume I'm Chinese, I'm not offended at all when that happens simply because I myself am still challenged differentiating the varieties of "whites" - - -British or Nordic or Germanic, etc. It took me a while before I could see the subtleties because I've grew up seeing all Asian faces.
But English is not a Whites' language. It's the official US language. Asians and everyone else speak English, in the US; why try to make a person feel "different" or like "may be you're not from here"..."you just don't look Amerikan enough to me". That guy deserves any kind of harsh response OP would choose; he had crossed boundaries of civility. If he had some knowledge of the OPs background, such as knowing for a fact they had immigrated from China and were a native speaker, and already had some initial communication with OP before, their behavior could pass as clumsy attempt at friendliness or to show off own worldliness--but they had absolutely no information about OP's background and should have kept their assumptions to themselves.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:23 PM

378 posts, read 441,552 times
Default White girl speak Chinese is so hot

Do you speak Chinese?
Attached Thumbnails
appropriate response to whites asking me in chinese if i speak chinese?-image.jpeg  

Old 09-27-2015, 06:23 PM

"Unbrainwashed" tried to message me "US has no official language" (get a life, please). Guess what? It does have certain official language. It's the language your President uses to address you, the language spoken in courts, the language of the Constitution, pity you. It's the language people of different backgrounds use to unite them.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:27 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Dude, tell a white girl who is above average in looks that she is really pretty, and she probably will not take well to it. Do you spend much time around women who isn't your girlfriend or wife at all? I do, and if women keep hearing the same thing over and over again they get sick of it. I have several Asian words, some of them women, and they hate it when guys try the same tired lines and ways of trying to talk to them over and over again (highlighting their foreignness). Why is this something so many men can't wrap their heads around, I have no idea. I get sick of that crap too when people find out I'm Puerto Rican, and ask me where in Mexico I'm from or do I speak "Mexican". Hell, even Americans living in Japan get sick of that same treatment after a while! My wife is British and HATES it when people here comment on her accent.
First, get off your high horse.

Second, I'm half Asian, my mom moved from South Korea. Most of my friends are female, mostly because the schools I went to were mostly women. Most of my friends are non-Whites and not US born (mostly Asian and Hispanic).

Third, the bottom line is people need to do a better job understanding where people are coming from. If the intentions aren't purposely trying to be insulting, then grow up and don't be an a**hole. This is why the world is becoming so dog eat dog. If you know the person doesn't mean any harm by their words, then don't be a jerk about it. There is always something that someone will say that annoys you even though their intentions aren't bad. Whether it is an Asian woman being hit on by a White male who thinks a good pick up line is "Are you from China" or a person who is from Alaska being asked, "How do you handle winter when it's dark 24 hours a day" etc. People just need to pull the stick out of their a** and be a bit more mature.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:

There is always something that someone will say that annoys you even though their intentions aren't bad.
There'll be always something that annoys...so that boy should toughen up and learn to like the middle finger in response. Cause OP likes it this way. Middle finger is also a language. She just thinks middle finger is a friendly holla back. When she sees that dude middle finger becomes her "official language"...and there's ain't nothing he can do about that.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:53 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum_ View Post
"Unbrainwashed" tried to message me "US has no official language" (get a life, please). Guess what? It does have certain official language. It's the language your President uses to address you, the language spoken in courts, the language of the Constitution, pity you. It's the language people of different backgrounds use to unite them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States

Quote:
Official languages None at federal level
Go look under the map of the US in the box, and you'll find it official and de facto are 2 totally different things.....lol. Here's a napkin to wipe that egg off your face

Quote:
First, get off your high horse.

Second, I'm half Asian, my mom moved from South Korea. Most of my friends are female, mostly because the schools I went to were mostly women. Most of my friends are non-Whites and not US born (mostly Asian and Hispanic).

Third, the bottom line is people need to do a better job understanding where people are coming from. If the intentions aren't purposely trying to be insulting, then grow up and don't be an a**hole. This is why the world is becoming so dog eat dog. If you know the person doesn't mean any harm by their words, then don't be a jerk about it. There is always something that someone will say that annoys you even though their intentions aren't bad. Whether it is an Asian woman being hit on by a White male who thinks a good pick up line is "Are you from China" or a person who is from Alaska being asked, "How do you handle winter when it's dark 24 hours a day" etc. People just need to pull the stick out of their a** and be a bit more mature.
I'm standing on my own two feet, I'm not on a horse

So what? I'm 3/4 Hispanic (with a Chinese immigrant stepfather), congratulations. You sound just like a typical American guy to me who can't comprehend why a girl would get offended at something. Male is still male regardless of race . That's like people in my culture who get mad and can't understand why American girls don't like it when we whistle and make cat calls to American girls

Maybe she had a bad day, maybe she has heard it 100 times already and is sick of it. I don't like it when people say that **** to me either. I was born in the US too, I'm not foreign, FFS. Stop making me feel like an outsider. You don't know the circumstances of that person whether they were harassed for it when they were young (like me), or whatever.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:57 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCuriouss View Post
I live in SF, where 33.3% percent of its population is comprised of Chinese, second only to 48.5% whites.I was walking to class when a white dude and i exchanged smiles and nods, and then he said in mandarin " do you speak mandarin?" ( i don't speak mandarin, but i can understand a bit.)

And i took this to be offensive, esp since we have exchanged smiles and nods, which meant that we were in good terms, but the first thing he asked about me was if i could speak chinese in chinese.

If this occurred in Europe or mid US, it is understandable. But SAN FRANCISCO!! There are asians everywhere here, many of them second or third generations who can speak little to no chinese

What would be an appropriate response to such a situation, because in a place in San Francisco, such a question just comes off as mockery to me, and i feel like sticking my middle finger at him.
Maybe the guy is a foreigner, himself, who speaks little English, but speaks several Asian languages fluently, and was hoping to get a conversation going.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:03 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm standing on my own two feet, I'm not on a horse

So what? I'm 3/4 Hispanic (with a Chinese immigrant stepfather), congratulations. You sound just like a typical American guy to me who can't comprehend why a girl would get offended at something. Male is still male regardless of race . That's like people in my culture who get mad and can't understand why American girls don't like it when we whistle and make cat calls to American girls

Maybe she had a bad day, maybe she has heard it 100 times already and is sick of it. I don't like it when people say that **** to me either. I was born in the US too, I'm not foreign, FFS. Stop making me feel like an outsider. You don't know the circumstances of that person whether they were harassed for it when they were young (like me), or whatever.

1) You are missing the point entirely and by the way, nice double standard, "oh nobody can stereotype me, but I can make blanket statements like you sound like a typical American guy who can't..." Are you a hypocrite?

Should a White person cause a scene if they go to a Chinese restaurant the server gives them a fork instead of chop sticks like everyone else? This whole thing is so trivial and childish. People get offended by anything these days.

2) What I said is there are always going to be someone who annoys you. It doesn't matter whether you are male, female, White, Asian, Californian, Alaskan, German, Australian etc. There will always be someone who is a bit ignorant or naive. However, if the person doesn't mean any harm by their comments, then you should relax and let it go. I get asked the most stupid questions when people find out I grew up in Alaska, yet I don't take it offensively. It gets annoying, but I understand they are just curious to learn more about it.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:04 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
OP, I think it was obnoxiously presumptuous and it would have irritated the stuffing out of me, too.

What the guy needs is a lesson in what can happen when he behaves that way. In other words, a response that makes him not want to do the same thing again.

Something maybe like, looking at him with the hairy eyeball and then saying, "Yo, Dude, no speekee da Chineee. Get lost."

On second thought, next time, just give him the hairy eyeball. He'll probably think he succeeded if he gets any verbal response from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland