Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 12:18 AM

24,404 posts, read 26,951,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
But, you don't walk up to someone like me, who looks Irish, and assume I can't speak English and say hello in Gaelic.

It is different.
It has nothing to do with thinking you don't know English, it's more about hey I'm going to surprise this person by actually speaking their native tongue instead of being the typical American who only knows English because America is the center of the world and the only country that matters.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:28 AM

21,873 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCuriouss View Post
I live in SF, where 33.3% percent of its population is comprised of Chinese, second only to 48.5% whites.I was walking to class when a white dude and i exchanged smiles and nods, and then he said in mandarin " do you speak mandarin?" ( i don't speak mandarin, but i can understand a bit.)

And i took this to be offensive, esp since we have exchanged smiles and nods, which meant that we were in good terms, but the first thing he asked about me was if i could speak chinese in chinese.

If this occurred in Europe or mid US, it is understandable. But SAN FRANCISCO!! There are asians everywhere here, many of them second or third generations who can speak little to no chinese

What would be an appropriate response to such a situation, because in a place in San Francisco, such a question just comes off as mockery to me, and i feel like sticking my middle finger at him.
Growing up.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:44 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It has nothing to do with thinking you don't know English, it's more about hey I'm going to surprise this person by actually speaking their native tongue instead of being the typical American who only knows English because America is the center of the world and the only country that matters.
That's what I'm thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCuriouss View Post
I live in SF, where 33.3% percent of its population is comprised of Chinese, second only to 48.5% whites.I was walking to class when a white dude and i exchanged smiles and nods, and then he said in mandarin " do you speak mandarin?" ( i don't speak mandarin, but i can understand a bit.)

And i took this to be offensive, esp since we have exchanged smiles and nods, which meant that we were in good terms, but the first thing he asked about me was if i could speak chinese in chinese.

If this occurred in Europe or mid US, it is understandable. But SAN FRANCISCO!! There are asians everywhere here, many of them second or third generations who can speak little to no chinese

What would be an appropriate response to such a situation, because in a place in San Francisco, such a question just comes off as mockery to me, and i feel like sticking my middle finger at him.
The best part of learning a language is speaking it to those who speak the language. If anything, it's a show of respect and admiration for someone else's native culture. It's an enriching and beautiful experience.

Last edited by Stephen1110; 09-28-2015 at 01:26 AM..

Old 09-28-2015, 01:47 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
For Those Who Don't Get It: Being addressed in a foreign language tends to make people who were born and raised in the US (with families going back generations, in the US) feel like foreigners, made to feel like they don't belong. It happens a lot in NM, where I currently live; people see a Hispanic face, and start speaking Spanish to someone whose lineage goes back 5oo years in NM.

OP, maybe you could discuss it with other SF-Chinese students. See what they think. Maybe someone will come up with a suggestion for a group strategy or response.
Very good point - that resonates a lot if you're Asian American, because at times even if you're native born, you're made to feel like perpetual foreigners. As a 2nd generation Chinese American, I've lost count of the times I've been complimented on my English and asked when I came to this country.

But I'm not really offended if a non-Chinese person tries to speak Chinese to me (I am fluent in Mandarin and know some Cantonese)- as I like it that someone is breaking out of that monolingual American know-nothing attitude about languages.

Now for the OP, it could be a case of a patronizing guy with yellow fever and I'd understand the reaction.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:45 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,426,378 times
Oh the horror this thread would be if OP was Japanese or Korean.....

At least the first thing out of his mouth was if you spoke the language. If he had started to talk about the weather or school or directions to somewhere right off the bat, then I could see more of an offense. I'm sure Ruth4Truth gets thrown into the middle of a conversation more than a simple 'Espanol?' to start things off and I can see where that would be annoying.

Quote:
Is there some sort of armband that shows generational status? I would see more offense if this would of occurred in Europe or mid-US: assuming any Asian is a native-born speaker (that is if they even picked the right nationality). He is in SAN FRANCISCO!! where 1/3 of the population is Chinese. What are the chances he finds the only uptight one in the bunch?

Was he flirting? Dunno. Wasn't there, but by your account, there was some agreeable non-verbal communication that occurred beforehand, so that could be interpreted as a invitation to a verbal exchange. Next time just keep your dǒulì a little lower over your eyes.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:34 AM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

It happens a lot in NM, where I currently live people see a Hispanic face, and start speaking Spanish to someone whose lineage goes back 5oo years in NM.
The underlined part is an actual ignorant and offensive thing to say Ruth. You are saying only darker skinned mestizos are somehow Hispanic when that isn't the case at all. But again, what do you expect from a know-it all arrogant SWPL.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:07 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Uh.

My native tongue IS English.

That's the whole point. The assumption that everyone who doesn't look like you is a foreigner.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:48 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
I think this whole discussion boils down to people's tendency to take offense rather than treating others with kindness. If the OP was taken aback by the other person's inappropriate use of Mandarin, the kind thing to do would have been to correct him - to thank him for trying, but in fact English is the correct language, and perhaps he should not make assumptions based on how people look. It could have ended up being a normal conversation with some learning, perhaps on both sides. But people who are quick to take offense cut off the normal give and take of human beings learning about each other. I'm not saying that one should NEVER take offense, but that we might live more peaceful lives if we assume that most people want to be good people, and that we can have civil conversations, and so hopefully correct any errors of perception and behavior.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:57 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Being offended at someone who is trying to be friendly is a rather peculiarly American problem (although I understand Parisians are prone to it as well).

There are so many deliberately obnoxious people to be offended by, it makes no sense wasting offense energy on people who are trying to be friendly.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:59 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Uh.

My native tongue IS English.

That's the whole point. The assumption that everyone who doesn't look like you is a foreigner.
I suspect there is something in the way you look or dress that suggests you are a foreigner, especially if this has happened more than once.

If it has happened to you only once, then for sure you've got your panties in a wad over nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland