Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 11:03 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

The larger problem we have with health care is that we haven't had anything resembling a competitive free market system since World War 2. We have Crony Capitalism & Socialsim...2 sides of the same coin, really.
You hit the nail on the head, but I think this (and the 40+ hour work week) are partially what is causing skilled labor jobs to leave the country - the middle class and above are nowhere near as obese as the lower class, and those were the blue collar people in our country in the 50s-60s. The loss of skilled labor jobs, coupled with the longer work weeks in sedentary jobs is causing the obesity issue, in my opinion.

We spend a lot of money right now on healthcare because it's privatized and incredibly greedy due to their ability to profit off of the current system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 12:28 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,563 times
Confusing libertarians vs commies/crony capitalists

Suspect most libertarians or true capitalists have zero interest in social issues/donating to rent some clown politician; just grudgingly pay their absurd tax bill (despite pothole-ridden rds and decrepit power grid, etc) and focus on how to make enough money to become economically free at youngest poss age: stuff hedge fund and software industries of SV of past 20y have brilliantly enabled and self-selected vs anywhere else on planet

Not many true libertarians in either commie NYC/CA or in TX or anywhere else on planet....arguably anyone involved in politics as donor/voter/gvt wkr is a commie/crony capitalist of some sort

Old 09-29-2015, 12:33 AM

520 posts, read 611,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
the middle class and above are nowhere near as obese as the lower class
I'm not going to jump into the rest of this debate, but the above claim isn't really true (at least any more). Obesity rates are now pretty constant across income levels in the US:

Relationship Between Poverty and Overweight or Obesity « Food Research & Action Center

The Messy, Messy Relationship Between Income (and Race) and Obesity - The Atlantic

Old 09-29-2015, 12:11 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
I'm not going to jump into the rest of this debate, but the above claim isn't really true (at least any more). Obesity rates are now pretty constant across income levels in the US:

Relationship Between Poverty and Overweight or Obesity « Food Research & Action Center

The Messy, Messy Relationship Between Income (and Race) and Obesity - The Atlantic
Not to completely jump track here - but what you're claiming wasn't my point. I didn't see anything in there that contradicted my point, which was that the poorest are the most obese. Yes, by the ancient BMI standard, most people are obese today, but to what degree? In fact, your second link proved my point -

Adult Poverty and Obesity

The Relationship Based on General Trends

Based on a large national study, body mass index (or BMI, an indicator of excess body fat) was higher every year between 1986 and 2002 among adults in the lowest income group and the lowest education group than among those in the highest income and education groups, respectively (Truong & Sturm, 2005).

Wages were inversely related to BMI and obesity in a nationally representative sample of more than 6,000 adults – meaning, those with low wages had increased BMI as well as increased chance of being obese (Kim & Leigh, 2010).

Old 09-29-2015, 12:19 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Yeah, Republicans that shove down our throats their Christian faith is a huge turn off for me. However, Democrats that shove their message of tolerance while being completely intolerant of any differing view is just as bad. I like middle of the road places.

I'll be moving at the end of December or early January 2016. I owned my condo outright, it was a one bedroom. Most of my income comes from the stock market, so I really just work from home basically. I just simply want warmer weather, more space, less homeless people, less extremists, more laid back lifestyle. San Francisco has become more expensive than Tokyo and Tokyo offers so much more than SF. I feel like SF is just slowly crumbling yet prices keep going up. I don't want to live in a one bedroom forever and I sure don't want to live in a boring suburb like Brentwood just to buy an overpriced ugly home.
To be fair, Japan is facing a massive demographic crisis. Buying real estate in Japan is a terrible idea.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:27 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
To be fair, Japan is facing a massive demographic crisis. Buying real estate in Japan is a terrible idea.
I would rather live in Tokyo than San Francisco. Tokyo is a true world class city, while San Francisco is full of poverty, crime, trash, everything shuts down early, yet prices are more expensive.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:15 PM

781 posts, read 743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
San Francisco scared me right. I moved here a big liberal democrat and while my views on issues like same sex marriage, abortion haven't changed, I moved to the right A LOT. I feel out of place when it comes to politics in SF, but my friends and I don't discuss it much if we don't agree, so it doesn't bother me much. With that being said, I'm moving out of California, but politics isn't the reason.
I can relate to this. I moved out to CA being politically moderate, but slightly to the left. Living in CA has made me switch to the right and even makes me agree with some of what Donald Trump's view points (birthright rules in particular).

A lot of people in CA are fake liberal anyways, especially the ones with a lot of $$$$. I just avoid political talk with them.

I do however still feel strongly about the right to chose and gay marriage.

Hope to one day leave CA!

Old 09-29-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYinCA2014 View Post
I can relate to this. I moved out to CA being politically moderate, but slightly to the left. Living in CA has made me switch to the right and even makes me agree with some of what Donald Trump's view points (birthright rules in particular).

A lot of people in CA are fake liberal anyways, especially the ones with a lot of $$$$. I just avoid political talk with them.

I do however still feel strongly about the right to chose and gay marriage.

Hope to one day leave CA!
I feel the same, including right to choose and same-sex marriage.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:33 PM

540 posts, read 652,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Confusing libertarians vs commies/crony capitalists

Suspect most libertarians or true capitalists have zero interest in social issues/donating to rent some clown politician; just grudgingly pay their absurd tax bill (despite pothole-ridden rds and decrepit power grid, etc) and focus on how to make enough money to become economically free at youngest poss age: stuff hedge fund and software industries of SV of past 20y have brilliantly enabled and self-selected vs anywhere else on planet

Not many true libertarians in either commie NYC/CA or in TX or anywhere else on planet....arguably anyone involved in politics as donor/voter/gvt wkr is a commie/crony capitalist of some sort
Seek Help

Old 09-29-2015, 05:34 PM

Good thing we have strict gun laws in the Bay Area! They work so well... at making criminals feel comfortable committing murder in broad daylight knowing law abiding citizens are disarmed.

Artist shot dead while working on West Oakland mural - SFGate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland