Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 04:23 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
The real frustration that people have, I think, is that they can afford a $500,000 house and end up with mediocre schools. That's because a $500,000 house is in the Bay Area is in a middle class neighborhood, which isn't true in most regions. That's the real surprise/disconnect -- it's not that the middle class neighborhood has mediocre schools. But as I said, maybe that's a matter of semantics.
This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. To be in a good/excellent school district, housing costs start at over $600k. That may be "middle class" by Bay Area standards, but not by anyone else's. If you grew up here and were lucky to inherent property, of if you've been in the area for a while and traded up, that's one thing. But recent college grads and new arrivals without tech jobs are pretty much screwed, unless they can afford homes that are close to $1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Yeah...I do think that people that have relocated here will have a MUCH harder time with all of that, especially with the current state of real estate prices. I honestly wouldn't move here if I didn't already have family/friends and was just starting a family or new job. Fortunately, we bought our house after the housing bubble burst...so we essentially got our house over half price by today's market.
IIRC, you're a native and you and your husband have moved around a bit, correct? You've got local ties and were fortunate to make some wise investments in real estate, and now you live in Lafayette. Not everyone else has had the same opportunities and good fortunes as you. For many people (especially transplants and people just starting out), the Bay Area just isn't affordable, unless you're making tons of money at a tech company or if you are a DINK couple. In other areas of the country with comparable education levels and salaries, the Bay Area doesn't seem like a bargain if your kids are stuck in mediocre schools. That's all I was trying to say. If you can actually afford it, the Bay Area is about as ideal of a place to raise a family as there is. Great weather, outdoor opportunities, diversity, culture, you name it- it's all at your finger tips then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 04:27 PM

540 posts, read 653,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. To be in a good/excellent school district, housing costs start at over $600k. That may be "middle class" by Bay Area standards, but not by anyone else's. If you grew up here and were lucky to inherent property, of if you've been in the area for a while and traded up, that's one thing. But recent college grads and new arrivals without tech jobs are pretty much screwed, unless they can afford homes that are close to $1M.
Actually I'd raise that to 700K to be in a good/excellent district. Many houses out in Concord are 500K and the school suck. Pleasant Hill/Walnut Creek etc homes are around 700K and the schools are much better

Old 10-05-2015, 04:31 PM

I was actually going to say at least 800k-1M for excellent schools, but some people are luckier than others and some schools have improved, while others have gotten worse. 600k minimum is about as low as you can go imo on the "good" end.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:48 PM

378 posts, read 441,607 times
Default 850k+

Quote:
I was actually going to say at least 800k-1M for excellent schools, but some people are luckier than others and some schools have improved, while others have gotten worse. 600k minimum is about as low as you can go imo on the "good" end.
i will go 50k+ more at 850k+...

Old 10-05-2015, 04:53 PM

Wow folks, we have bidding wars in CDF about school districts, just like in real life!

Old 10-05-2015, 05:01 PM

378 posts, read 441,607 times
Default 'Middle Class'

Quote:
Wow folks, we have bidding wars in CDF about school districts, just like in real life!
I personally consider Bay Area 'Middle Class' 'household' (of 2 adults) income is (at least) 200+k/year gross.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:56 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
Actually I'd raise that to 700K to be in a good/excellent district. Many houses out in Concord are 500K and the school suck. Pleasant Hill/Walnut Creek etc homes are around 700K and the schools are much better
Minimum for PHill I'd say is around $600K and the schools are "good", in the 6-8 range. Walnut Creek min is probably $800-850K and the schools are excellent, in the 9-10 range. Martinez is the exception where you can get homes under $500K and even under $400K for townhouses with schools that range from a 6-9. Concord schools are pretty bad, nothing above a 5 or 6 for middle school and beyond. I think people pay $600K+ to live there over a place like Pleasant Hill with better schools because they can get a bigger house, at least that's my guess.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:01 PM

520 posts, read 611,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Minimum for PHill I'd say is around $600K and the schools are "good", in the 6-8 range. Walnut Creek min is probably $800-850K and the schools are excellent, in the 9-10 range. Martinez is the exception where you can get homes under $500K and even under $400K for townhouses with schools that range from a 6-9. Concord schools are pretty bad, nothing above a 5 or 6 for middle school and beyond. I think people pay $600K+ to live there over a place like Pleasant Hill with better schools because they can get a bigger house, at least that's my guess.
I'll speak to Contra Costa County because I know it best.

Brentwood has high schools rated 8 and 9, houses are about $500k but the commute is pretty terrible if you are trying to get to SF/SV/Oakland.

Clayton Valley is a large charter school in Concord rated a 9. It gives first priority for admissions for students in the geographic area of Clayton Valley when it was a public school (that is, Clayton and parts of Concord). Concord High School is rated a 7; Ygnacio Valley and Mt. Diablo are the lower-rated high schools in Concord.

College Park, the high school in Pleasant Hill is rated a 9. Alhambra, the high school in Martinez is rated an 8.

In West Contra Costa, El Cerrito, Hercules, and John Swett (Rodeo/Crockett) are all rated 7 in the latest ratings. Although El Cerrito housing prices are up a lot, average prices are now $750k.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:05 PM

781 posts, read 744,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
You can make alot of money but you have to be extremely good and have and very strong background in tech. But your also competing against everyone else in the world and the very expensive cost of living reflects this. Many of the strongest college graduates in computer science or an engineering position will have a job offer right before they graduate and they may also try their luck on a startup. If you are not this type of person, I don't think there is anything there for you.
I agree with this.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:54 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
Clayton Valley is a large charter school in Concord rated a 9. It gives first priority for admissions for students in the geographic area of Clayton Valley when it was a public school (that is, Clayton and parts of Concord). Concord High School is rated a 7; Ygnacio Valley and Mt. Diablo are the lower-rated high schools in Concord.

College Park, the high school in Pleasant Hill is rated a 9. Alhambra, the high school in Martinez is rated an 8.
These must be updated scores because the one's I've observed on Redfin are a little different, Clayton Valley High isn't even rated with a score. That probably explains some of the higher prices in the area of Concord closer to Clayton though if its rated a 9. Nice to see Concord High with a 7 now instead of a 5, maybe there is hope for Concord schools lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland