Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 09:10 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times

Advertisements

Compared to NYC, anywhere around the bay that's close to the water will feel like heaven. It only gets uncomfortably hot when you get away from the water - whether that's the ocean or the bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 12:28 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Note to others and OP ... beware the fact that coastal stratus is a dry season thing.

During the rainy season ... in between storms (and there can be days to weeks in between) ... no coastal stratus. In fact the beach areas will be the warmest sunniest places in winter (meanwhile dank tule fog accosts the far inland zones).
Indeed. Winter is my favorite time at the coast. Often the warmest place in the region, and between storms (which the last few winters could mean weeks) is pretty much cloud/wind free heaven.

I've always found it funny how people inundate Half Moon Bay in the summer-October (when it's most foggy), but pretty much ignore it come winter time (comparatively).

Old 10-15-2015, 02:01 AM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I've always found it funny how people inundate Half Moon Bay in the summer-October (when it's most foggy), but pretty much ignore it come winter time (comparatively).
Maybe they are looking to avoid the scorching summer heat and cool off in the comfortable foggy weather!

Old 10-15-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Maybe they are looking to avoid the scorching summer heat and cool off in the comfortable foggy weather!
I suppose, but the roads to Half Moon Bay are very crowded even when the temperatures aren't all that hot in the area. Maybe it's people from the far East Bay or Central Valley (where it's much hotter), but I know a lot of people around me (San Mateo) that go there in the summer. I think it's more the "it's summer so I want to go to the beach" mindset more than anything else, but I could be wrong.

My point is just that people seem to avoid it when the weather is best there, which I've always found interesting. It's a nice secret, I suppose.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:04 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
It's probably just tourists or recent transplants thinking that the best time to go to the beach is during the summer, since that's how it is pretty much everywhere else. Locals tend to know when to avoid the coast (i.e. the dead of "summer"), while newcomers assume beach= sunshine and warmth in the summer OR too cold to enjoy in the winter.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
It's probably just tourists or recent transplants thinking that the best time to go to the beach is during the summer, since that's how it is pretty much everywhere else. Locals tend to know when to avoid the coast (i.e. the dead of "summer"), while newcomers assume beach= sunshine and warmth in the summer OR too cold to enjoy in the winter.
Yea, I agree, that's probably true.

Either way, I'm thankful for the comparatively empty coast in the winter.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I suppose, but the roads to Half Moon Bay are very crowded even when the temperatures aren't all that hot in the area. Maybe it's people from the far East Bay or Central Valley (where it's much hotter), but I know a lot of people around me (San Mateo) that go there in the summer. I think it's more the "it's summer so I want to go to the beach" mindset more than anything else, but I could be wrong.

My point is just that people seem to avoid it when the weather is best there, which I've always found interesting. It's a nice secret, I suppose.
You're so right about the road to Half Moon Bay. I love that area, but even waaaay back when, I hated that road. So, it's somewhere I'd never want to settle and avoid driving there even recently.

For the people who can just stay put there, though, that's probably a benefit - keeping the crowds from descending on their good town.

The last time I was there was with a senior hiking group on a bus tour from Santa Clara. We stopped at that cool brewery there, can't remember the name, and I bought some Obama beer for my daughter LOL. They had a special label. Great town. Terrible road.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You're so right about the road to Half Moon Bay. I love that area, but even waaaay back when, I hated that road. So, it's somewhere I'd never want to settle and avoid driving there even recently.

For the people who can just stay put there, though, that's probably a benefit - keeping the crowds from descending on their good town.

The last time I was there was with a senior hiking group on a bus tour from Santa Clara. We stopped at that cool brewery there, can't remember the name, and I bought some Obama beer for my daughter LOL. They had a special label. Great town. Terrible road.
If you're not in a rush and don't feel like sitting in stop-and-go traffic, a scenic (but windy) alternative is to go down to San Gregorio (or Pescadero) and head back over 84. This is generally what I do - I'll head to the coast on 92 (trying to leave as early as possible), have a late breakfast/early lunch in Half Moon Bay and then head down the coast. I might stop somewhere for a hike, stop at a beach (or a few), or head down to Davenport to get some pie at Swanton Berry Farm.

I'll then head back over 84 - sometimes there can be a good amount of people on that road, but it's never backed up like 92 (not even close). It probably takes about the same amount of time due to the slower speeds/windy road, but it's a nice alternative on busy weekends.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:50 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Back when I was a young single dude I had a tradition to go surfing every Christmas Eve. I don't recall a single time that it was not warm and sunny at the beach on Dec 24.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:26 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Compared to NYC, anywhere around the bay that's close to the water will feel like heaven. It only gets uncomfortably hot when you get away from the water - whether that's the ocean or the bay.
I don't know what "heaven" feels like, but the beachfront areas around NYC will typically be much sunnier than the beachfront areas around SF. Don't know if this a good thing or a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland