Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 10:02 PM

8 posts, read 7,760 times

Advertisements

Hello! I've decided to move to San Francisco in the near future. I grew up and live on the East Coast, and I want a change.

My big question is: Where should I move? I don't know where to look. I'm a 24 year-old male whom is looking to experience the city and everything it has to offer. I will have a salary of about $100,000 and am willing to dedicate roughly $2000 - $3000 towards an apartment. I have no reservations against living with a roommate; I just don't know anyone yet to ask! Where is an affordable (I know it's expensive, so reasonably affordable), fun place to live in as a young adult? Is living with a roommate the best choice? How should I go about looking for a place?

Thank you in advance for all your answers, and please, if you have anything else to add about the city, I'm all ears! I want to learn as much as I can!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 10:31 PM

24,410 posts, read 27,021,173 times
I would go with Craigslist.

Some good neighborhoods for you...

Marina District
Lower Nob Hill
North Beach
Russian Hill
Telegraph Hill
SOMA
Inner Sunset

Old 10-08-2015, 12:15 PM

13 posts, read 17,009 times
For your range you can live in the city in a studio(if you are lucky maybe a 1bedroom too). You don't need a roommate for the money you are gonna spend on your apartment. I would advise living by yourself unless you know the person who is gonna be your roommate. Here's the craigslist link for searching for some apartments. SF bay area apartments / housing rentals - craigslist

Old 10-10-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I would go with Craigslist.

Some good neighborhoods for you...

Marina District
Lower Nob Hill
North Beach
Russian Hill
Telegraph Hill
SOMA
Inner Sunset
Quote:
Originally Posted by bezudar View Post
For your range you can live in the city in a studio(if you are lucky maybe a 1bedroom too). You don't need a roommate for the money you are gonna spend on your apartment. I would advise living by yourself unless you know the person who is gonna be your roommate. Here's the craigslist link for searching for some apartments. SF bay area apartments / housing rentals - craigslist
Thank you both for your advice. I've certainly hear of good pairings happening on craigslist. I will start there. It will be difficult since I'm not in SF yet though! Hopefully the timeline works out.

Can anyone suggest anymore neighborhoods that would be good? Thank you for that list, I will keep those in mind. Again, I am a 24 year-old college graduate, who is looking to live in a fun lively section of the city, and my rent will hopefully be betwee 2k ad 3k.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:17 PM

Also, is the mission district of SF a good place for me?

Old 10-10-2015, 10:03 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,426,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate1992 View Post
How the heck should we know?

Who are you? What do you like to do?

Old 10-10-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate1992 View Post
I absolutely HATE the Mission. You basically pay big $$$$ to live in an area that looks like s*** and covered with homeless, trash and overpriced bars where everyone has a beard and men wear suit tops with casual shorts. If you are a hipster, you will love it, otherwise you will probably question why people are paying so much to live in a crap hole.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:29 AM

505 posts, read 369,488 times
Just so you know the median rent for a one-bedroom place in SF is $5000.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordin View Post
Just so you know the median rent for a one-bedroom place in SF is $5000.

no

Old 10-11-2015, 02:48 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,250,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I absolutely HATE the Mission. You basically pay big $$$$ to live in an area that looks like s*** and covered with homeless, trash and overpriced bars where everyone has a beard and men wear suit tops with casual shorts. If you are a hipster, you will love it, otherwise you will probably question why people are paying so much to live in a crap hole.
Wow, finally someone else writes my thoughts. Every single time I venture into the Mission it smells like pee and there are homeless people crowded around the BART stations. Valencia is nice but I'm not a hipster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland