Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 04:51 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
You're new here, you don't know HSW.....
Most of HSW's posts are utter and complete nonsense - generally hard to follow. But they're entertaining. Funny calling Hillsborough irrelevant - LOL...I mean, I think it's kind of not worth living there, but I look at Atherton the same way. I don't really see the point of living in either. Plenty of other really great cities with great schools where one could buy a house for a lot less.

But then again, the people living in Hillsborough aren't really worried about money because they have so much. 1 million in a different "nice" city vs. 5 million dollar house in Hillsborough...not much of a difference to some residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 05:31 PM

12 posts, read 26,273 times
Most physicians can not buy in Hillsborough or Atherton. $400k/yr, after you pay taxes and mortgage, will cramp your lifestyle severely. I doubt you'll find a house to your liking in those neighborhoods for less than $4MM. Unless you have a mil or two cash to put down in the first place, you're going to have a huge mortgage and most likely you won't even get approved for the loan.

If you had say $1MM down, a $3MM loan will cost about $14K/mo. Property taxes are going to be another $4k/mo. So you're $18k/mo in the hole from the get go. On top of that, thanks to the democrats, you can't write off mortgage interest on your personal home on any mortgage amount over $1MM.

Hopefully you married a Neurosurgeon. Then you could probably afford it. But bear in mind you'll be paying at least $50k/yr in property taxes ad infinitum.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:24 PM

617 posts, read 349,088 times
Sounds like paradise...

Old 05-30-2016, 02:14 AM

83 posts, read 75,522 times
Depends what kind of doctor.

Last edited by asianlivesmatter909; 05-30-2016 at 03:06 AM..

Old 06-02-2016, 12:28 PM

423 posts, read 609,910 times
Thanks for renewing this thread. I had to read and re-read HSW's post. Hilarious. I never thought of doctors, dentists as same category as maids.

I knew only 2 person who lived/lives in Hillsborough. This is like way back, 15-25 years ago. I guess I don't socialize with the elites. Not that I don't want to, just that they are not in my circle of friends.

One is a dentist. But he runs his practice, has multiple location, and I guess he makes good money dentistry. And he also invested in real estate; I assume he made most of his money from real estate.

The other one was college student, whose father was CEO (or high level executive) of an airline in Asia.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:33 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk88cal View Post
Thanks for renewing this thread. I had to read and re-read HSW's post. Hilarious. I never thought of doctors, dentists as same category as maids.
The only people that are "relevant" in HSW's world (at least what I can gather from the posts) are Tech CEO's (CEO's from other industries need not apply) and Venture Capitalists in the Silicon Valley region. I mean, why should we be concerned about anyone else, really? Just a bunch of commies who want to mooch off of the Tech CEO's hardwork. /s

But, again, always fun to read his (her?) comments. And some of HSW's point do ring true (despite the insanity of the rest of the jibber jabber).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk88cal View Post
I knew only 2 person who lived/lives in Hillsborough. This is like way back, 15-25 years ago. I guess I don't socialize with the elites. Not that I don't want to, just that they are not in my circle of friends.

One is a dentist. But he runs his practice, has multiple location, and I guess he makes good money dentistry. And he also invested in real estate; I assume he made most of his money from real estate.

The other one was college student, whose father was CEO (or high level executive) of an airline in Asia.
You know more than I know, and I live ~500 feet from the border of Hillsborough. I do enjoy my runs/walks/bike rides through the town, though.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:36 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I don't know if that town has ever been "average".

I guess this depends on your definition of average.
Average doctor and average person are very different. In most places, a doctor making $250,000 to $400,000 can afford a very nice place. Not in the Bay Area.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:35 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times
Hillsborough is okay, but its not even gated, so really, what's the benefit?

You can live anywhere that is not so "exclusive" and just gate your own property, or move into a gated property (country club development kinda thing basically anywhere)

I think Hillsborough is great as an "accessory" of wealth. I don't think you are going to realize any other benefit from specifically being in Hillsborough that you couldn't get nearly anywhere else for a far smaller expense. It's like paying 3x premium for that designer European label pair of pants. They're still just pants.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:37 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Average doctor and average person are very different. In most places, a doctor making $250,000 to $400,000 can afford a very nice place. Not in the Bay Area.
$400K allows you to live nearly anywhere you'd want, in a high-end home. So I have to disagree.

Saratoga, LG, Los Altos, PA, the city, Marin County, pretty much anywhere in the East Bay.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:39 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
$400K allows you to live nearly anywhere you'd want, in a high-end home. So I have to disagree.

Saratoga, LG, Los Altos, PA, the city, Marin County, pretty much anywhere in the East Bay.
Wtf??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland