Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 03:40 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,907,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
Average Doctor meaning, Family Medicine? No. Internist/Hospitalist? General Surgeon? No. Psychiatrist? No Average Plastic Surgeon, yes, Average Neurosurgeon Yes, Average Radiologist yes. Gastroenterologist? Yes, Average Doctor depends on the specialty you're speaking about
Also does that person have family money? Low amounts of student loan debt? How old are they when they acquire enough money to buy a Hillsborough house (Would it make sense to buy a 8 bedroom mansion when you're in your mid/late 50's, and your children are all moved out?).

The people that are buying in Hillsborough today are probably very wealthy - and probably not just from their main job. They likely acquired wealth, and a significant amount of it, beyond just taking in a salary every year and putting it into a savings account.

These people aren't "typical/average". There are likely doctors in Hillsborough, but not average doctors with average doctor salaries (which are great, but not Hillsborough great).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 04:02 PM

943 posts, read 1,320,811 times
I know one person who lives in Hillsborough. He's a very senior software engineer, and his wife is a retired software engineer. I'm sure he makes a good living, but more importantly he has been living in his house a very long time.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:52 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,446,358 times
You pretty much have to be worth millions to get in there now.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:49 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,916 times
Basic arithmetic

Acre of land in West Atherton (Hillsborough is an ok town but fairly irrelevant in modern era) costs ~$4MM

Moderately upscale 6K sf house costs ~$2.5MM to build

Most such ~$7MM new houses are cash buys

So it's far more likely buyer is someone <40yo w/small kids who's made money working in software or in hedge funds

Those who can't afford to live in a new 6K sf house in an Atherton, etc but work as service providers, like doctors, dentists, lawyers, maids, etc, generally choose to commute from somewhere that makes more sense: their time is clearly less valuable, as their incomes and skills (per market prices) indicate

Anyone semi-intelligent has known that, for past 25+yrs, biggest money is largely made in either hedge funds or software....so any allegedly intelligent doc or lawyer, etc complaining abt low pay/net worth today is victim of own self-inflicted career choices...and prob revealing own dubious IQ

Old 10-27-2015, 08:35 AM

372 posts, read 513,867 times
Atherton doesn't appeal to me very much, I find many of the houses too gawdy, maybe because many were built since the 80's. And it is mostly flat and I prefer some hills. I'd take the "old money" houses of lower Hillsborough, upper Piedmont, and Pacific Heights. I also prefer Los Altos Hills, Woodside, and Ross for the amazing natural beauty around.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:43 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
The Docs I know live in Piedmont, Oakland Hills, Orinda and Alamo...

I do know someone that started as a receptionist at 18 where I work... she is 40 now and did buy a home in Atherton... it was the least expensive home sold in 2011??? and she works from home and is single.

How did she do it?

She is highly sought after for daycare and does in home for some very well to do clients... makes around 200k and has taken some phenomenal overseas trips to Europe and beyond as a Nanny...

Last time I saw her parents they were saying her timing was perfect as there is no way she could afford to buy today... and her business is VERY good...

Old 04-21-2016, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,377 times
About the author seeing no perceived differences between properties across the street in Hillsborough. However there is a fairly significant tangible difference which, IMHO, justifies the huge price difference. Lots in Hillsborough are mandated by the city to be at least 1/2 acre (OVER 22,000 sq f)t. Compare this to average lots in San Mateo which barely holds the footprint of a modest house.. Most Hills residents places a premium on privacy, such as gated entrances, houses recessed from the street, dense landscaping, etc. I found that people who never enjoyed the privacy of a large lot invariably miss this key point. Of course, there are negative side to extreme privacy. It is not unusual to live decades here and rarely talk or even see their neighbors outside of their cars. But for those seeking the plus side of privacy, Hillsborough is the place to live, if you can afford it.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:50 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Basic arithmetic

Acre of land in West Atherton (Hillsborough is an ok town but fairly irrelevant in modern era) costs ~$4MM

Moderately upscale 6K sf house costs ~$2.5MM to build

Most such ~$7MM new houses are cash buys

So it's far more likely buyer is someone <40yo w/small kids who's made money working in software or in hedge funds

Those who can't afford to live in a new 6K sf house in an Atherton, etc but work as service providers, like doctors, dentists, lawyers, maids, etc, generally choose to commute from somewhere that makes more sense: their time is clearly less valuable, as their incomes and skills (per market prices) indicate

Anyone semi-intelligent has known that, for past 25+yrs, biggest money is largely made in either hedge funds or software....so any allegedly intelligent doc or lawyer, etc complaining abt low pay/net worth today is victim of own self-inflicted career choices...and prob revealing own dubious IQ
I think this is proof of the next bubble being ready to pop. When people think being an average software engineer is more prestigious/ a better career choice than a doctor

Old 04-22-2016, 04:50 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I think this is proof of the next bubble being ready to pop. When people think being an average software engineer is more prestigious/ a better career choice than a doctor
You're new here, you don't know HSW.....

Old 04-23-2016, 11:39 AM

538 posts, read 1,191,199 times
Two things. First, there is a vast difference between being able to live somewhere and being able to afford to buy there, especially now. Second, with very few exceptions if the majority of your income comes from your salary, you can't afford Hillsborough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland