Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 11:31 PM

620 posts, read 1,198,255 times

Advertisements

Just curious, if you are a doctor making 250k a year, is it possible? There are a lot of seriously wealthy people there but I do 't think that is the norm, considering the town has almost 10,000 residents.

Last edited by BayAreaDave; 10-26-2015 at 12:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 12:21 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,907,136 times
Average doctor? No, most definitely not. Hillsborough is an elite of the elite kind of "town". You have to be at the top tier of what you do, be independently (very) wealthy in some way, or have recently struck it rich in a lucrative IPO. Multiple millions of dollars rich, not just average Bay Area rich.

I live a few blocks from Hillsborough, and I always find it funny to walk over the city line and think how the house on the San Mateo side of the line is possibly half the price of the one on the Hillsborough side. No change in feel, safety, or anything like that, but I guess that Hillsborough address must be worth it to them.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:38 AM

620 posts, read 1,198,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Average doctor? No, most definitely not. Hillsborough is an elite of the elite kind of "town". You have to be at the top tier of what you do, be independently (very) wealthy in some way, or have recently struck it rich in a lucrative IPO. Multiple millions of dollars rich, not just average Bay Area rich.

I live a few blocks from Hillsborough, and I always find it funny to walk over the city line and think how the house on the San Mateo side of the line is possibly half the price of the one on the Hillsborough side. No change in feel, safety, or anything like that, but I guess that Hillsborough address must be worth it to them.
What kind of income would be needed? Would a surgeon making 400k (as a surgeon makes on average I assume) be able to live there?

Old 10-26-2015, 01:19 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,296,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
What kind of income would be needed? Would a surgeon making 400k (as a surgeon makes on average I assume) be able to live there?
Just do a search on a real estate site and make the calculations. On Redfin there were 33 homes listed in Hillsborough and only 1 was under 2.5 million. So its unlikely some low income surgeon could purchase a home there unless he had a monster down payment.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:26 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,211 times
I have a friend who grew up on Hillsborough. His Dad is a doctor and also owns a popular Chinese restaurant.

Two other friends who live there are both partners at different accounting firms. One is a rag to riches, and other came from money.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:05 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
The docs I know live in places like San Mateo, Millbrae, Belmont, San Carlos ... but not Hillsborough.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:50 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:

This is kind of sad. There used to be "average" doctors and lawyers living there, but that was before the tech boom.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:56 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,907,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is kind of sad. There used to be "average" doctors and lawyers living there, but that was before the tech boom.
I don't know if that town has ever been "average".

I guess this depends on your definition of average.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:02 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
I don't know if that town has ever been "average".

I guess this depends on your definition of average.
Well, yeah, it would help if the OP clarified his definition, but I think the fact that he's asking in the context of Hillsborough answers the question. Doctors and many lawyers used to make very good money relative to real estate values, back in the day. But those days are pretty much over. Now, especially in the Bay Area, a household with two such professionals is what it takes. And that still wouldn't get you Hillsborough, probably.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:33 PM

540 posts, read 653,015 times
Average Doctor meaning, Family Medicine? No. Internist/Hospitalist? General Surgeon? No. Psychiatrist? No Average Plastic Surgeon, yes, Average Neurosurgeon Yes, Average Radiologist yes. Gastroenterologist? Yes, Average Doctor depends on the specialty you're speaking about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland