Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2015, 05:47 PM

24,333 posts, read 26,746,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
That's a really nice house in a great neighborhood with a fantastic half acre lot and its less than 20 miles from mid-town Manhattan. Compare to Cupertino in the same price range. Bay area suburbs are insanely overpriced compared to NYC suburbs.

Example 1 Cupertino, CA For Sale | Trulia.com

Example 2 Cupertino, CA For Sale | Trulia.com
It's so crazy what money buys in the Bay Area lol seriously WTF $1.5 MILLION!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 05:49 PM

6,403 posts, read 8,235,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
don't care much for the Bay area...sorry, far far far from the best place in the world. Southern California is INFINITELY better than the Bay area which is my opinion.

It's funny when people post ridiculous stuff like this. You would have to pay me money to leave SoCal and move to the Bay area.
I've lived in both places. SoCal most certainly has its own share of problems, so I always find it hilarious when one person prefers one over the other and makes comments as if the other places is completely unlivable and horrible. Overall, I greatly prefer the Bay Area, but I wouldn't be absolutely hating my life if I had to move back down to San Diego or lived some place coastal in SoCal. One thing for sure is that I'd be making about 40% less than what I make up here, so I'd probably gripe about that for a while. Otherwise, I'd definitely miss the NorCal energy, the greenery, and closer access to Tahoe/Yosemite/Wine Country etc, but I'd get over it quickly and take advantage of what's around me down south. Maybe that's just me though. I tend to try to make the best of whatever situation I'm in instead of complaining incessantly, and I'm pretty quick to move on to bigger and better things when I'm unsatisfied. Too bad a lot of people on this board just like complaining to hear themselves complain though.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:16 PM

3,229 posts, read 6,261,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Basically you're paying La Jolla prices to live in Cupertino, Sunnyvale, etc... I get the proximity to jobs and all but still; small lots, small/avg size homes, very average/bland looking community, etc.. It's kind of comical in a way.
Cupertino is much more expensive than La Jolla. In La Jolla, 1.5 million buys a nice house with a short walk to the beach and LaJolla Village. Look at this one:

7454 Herschel Avenue, La Jolla, CA For Sale | Trulia.com

Even an $889K home in La Jolla looks much better than the 1.5 million one in Cupertino.

5804 Caminito Empresa, La Jolla, CA 92037 | Zillow

One has to go down to a 585k La Jolla condo to find a comparision to a 1.5 million Cupertino home.

8085 Caminito Mallorca, La Jolla, CA For Sale | Trulia.com

In fact the low end La Jolla $585k condo looks better than a 1200 sq. ft. apartment like 625K condo in East Palo Alto!

2330 University Avenue, East Palo Alto, CA For Sale | Trulia.com

Old 10-27-2015, 06:25 PM

102,074 posts, read 107,051,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTaverner View Post
Seriously. I was born and raised in San Jose, spent time out of the country, state and whatnot. I have traveled to 45 of the 50 states, and have been to some great places, some ok places and some horrible places.

Believe me when I say that if you can afford it, the Bay Area is the greatest place in the world. Constantinople to NYC's Rome. The brain trust of the US.

Neighborhoods are diverse, crime is low, most people are educated and open minded, the food is great, dating is easy (you just can't be a jerk and expect people to treat you like a king because you have a degree,) and the weather is sublime.

The only complaint, other than the outrageous home prices, is the bubble. You get used to the bay area and when visiting some place with a bit more bigotry you are shocked people still think that way. You end up forgetting that so much of fly over America is stuck further in the past than the bay.

This is not to say there are no racists or homophobes in the bay area. It's just that we chased most of them to other places (e.g. Florida, Texas) during the 90s.
I'd say that if you can afford it, the Bay Area is the greatest EXCEPT for the traffic! Even if I could afford it, I probably wouldn't move back there (and I'm from there, I miss it, but the traffic turns me off). Not to mention the unseasonably warm temps that seem to have become the new normal, pretty much.

IDK, OP; IMO it's kind of heart-breaking what's happened to the Bay Area, and I include the Greater Bay Area (Santa Cruz County, Monterrey, & other peripheral regions) in that.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:42 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,983,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'd say that if you can afford it, the Bay Area is the greatest EXCEPT for the traffic! Even if I could afford it, I probably wouldn't move back there (and I'm from there, I miss it, but the traffic turns me off). Not to mention the unseasonably warm temps that seem to have become the new normal, pretty much.

IDK, OP; IMO it's kind of heart-breaking what's happened to the Bay Area, and I include the Greater Bay Area (Santa Cruz County, Monterrey, & other peripheral regions) in that.

Ruth, I think it's heartbreaking what is happening to society at large. I think in most categories that count, things are worse now overall.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:43 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,240,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, many of your reasons for disliking the Bay Area arent solved by living in Tokyo and some of your reasons for preferring Tokyo arent better than the Bay Area.
That is your perception Montclair, as I already stated. If BMW and I like Tokyo, you're not going to change our opinion. Furthermore, I couldn't care less how it compares to the Bay Area since you have a clearly different set of criteria you want your homebase to meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Here's a thought. Refute a point I made instead of acting 'likealady' going off the deep end.
Really? You're going to start with the personal attacks now?

Well that escalated quickly.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:45 PM

505 posts, read 366,855 times
Don't forget earthquakes...San Ramon has been shaking a bit lately, and we're about due...

Old 10-27-2015, 06:51 PM

36,631 posts, read 67,212,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
That is your perception Montclair, as I already stated. If BMW and I like Tokyo, you're not going to change our opinion. Furthermore, I couldn't care less how it compares to the Bay Area since you have a clearly different set of criteria you want your homebase to meet.
Haha no one is even interested in changing your minds love, honestly bye Felicia, it's just that a lot of the reasons you list for preferring Tokyo over SF dont make sense- and they dont have to because to each his own, I just noticed a double standard and pointed it out.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:57 PM

758 posts, read 546,187 times
What was that about the bay area being a beacon of diversity?

Daughter of Tadich Grill family says she was shunned for marrying a black man - Inside Scoop SF

Yeah, it's been thirty years. And, she is still disowned, by all generations of the wealthy family, a family that appears to be a fixture of San Francisco. So, . . ..

Old 10-27-2015, 07:01 PM

102,074 posts, read 107,051,957 times
It's an Old World family. E Europeans tend strongly to be that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland