Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 05:59 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I'm not arguing anything. I'm just calling it like I see it. If you don't like it, put me on ignore.

Why post in this thread in the first place? It's not like you care about displacement of poor people anyway. You think it's their own fault. Your contributions to this thread have included blaming people for their choices and advising them to travel back in time to change their careers.
Just need to provide some balance. Without me the entire section would turn into a pity party where everyone is a victim and those people with jobs and saved for years so they can buy a house and rent it out are evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 06:14 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Nobody has said once that the homeowner is evil. I don't really blame him for cashing in when he stands to make a killing on the house. You're creating a straw man argument, in typical fashion- you do it all the time in your gun nut threads. I get that you're just here to spout your typical anti-poor BS, but try harder, or find something else to do with your time. It's funny that you're worried about a homeowner you don't even know being demonized by the internet. Really shows a lot of empathy lol

Old 11-05-2015, 06:52 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Nobody has said once that the homeowner is evil. I don't really blame him for cashing in when he stands to make a killing on the house. You're creating a straw man argument, in typical fashion- you do it all the time in your gun nut threads. I get that you're just here to spout your typical anti-poor BS, but try harder, or find something else to do with your time. It's funny that you're worried about a homeowner you don't even know being demonized by the internet. Really shows a lot of empathy lol
This whole thread is about white people buying/renting propert and driving up prices and the poor whoever not being able to pay market rate. It is not a straw man argument by any sense of the word.

Maybe you can keep deflecting about my stance on civil rights and labeling me with derogatory terms, it seems to be you MO around here.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:55 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
This whole thread is about white people buying/renting propert and driving up prices and the poor whoever not being able to pay market rate. It is not a straw man argument by any sense of the word.

Maybe you can keep deflecting about my stance on civil rights and labeling me with derogatory terms, it seems to be you MO around here.
Notice too that there was not one mention of the fact that the current owners in the area are highly likely to be black and would benefit from the appreciation.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:55 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Notice too that there was not one mention of the fact that the current owners in the area are highly likely to be black and would benefit from the appreciation.
When did this become a racial issue? I must have missed something

Old 11-05-2015, 08:22 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
The OP's article implies that racism is going on in Lake Merritt, but there's zero proof that the person who posted the flier is a even a non-white person to begin with.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:32 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
Once again, I am proven right:

Black Man Asks Woman For Phone Number In Oakland, She Posts Flyer About It And Calls Cops: SFist

There is an epidemic of racial profiling in Oakland (and in the Bay Area in general), on all levels.

People don't post warning flyers of "strange" black men talking to white women in "tolerant", "integrated" cities.

Is Oakland turning into Mobile, Alabama? lol
This has nothing to do with gentrification. This has to do with personal safety.

Here's the poster:

Decent men don't wander the streets, disheveled, accompanied by a pit bull, and go up to women and ask them for their phone number. It is, in fact, one known method (shown often as a safety warning on local and national TV stations) of criminals trying to stop someone in order to either steal their phone or worse.

P.S. Are you "DaveyD" who posted this same thing to the website you advertise, above, 10/19/15 with the same title, i.e. "Gentrification 3.0 in the city of Oakland"?

Old 11-05-2015, 08:35 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
The OP's article implies that racism is going on in Lake Merritt, but there's zero proof that the person who posted the flier is a even a non-white person to begin with.
thanks! I clicked on it this time and read the flier, it's funny it reminds me of this idiot website nextdoor It sounded good so I signed up and every other post was "there's a suspicious black guy who drives his car down this street at the same time every day" or "I'm not sure what's going on but I saw a mexican guy in the smart & final parking lot and he looked like he was up to something" At first I would challenge these people but after awhile I gave up and left the group. Here's an interesting article about it: Nextdoor, the social network for neighbors, is becoming a home for racial profiling | Fusion

and yes I know it's off topic but oh well

Old 11-05-2015, 08:46 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Saving money is not about how much you earn, but how much you save.
I can't decide whether your statement is pompous, self-righteous or naive.

People who don't earn enough to save money can save (and should, even if its just to get into the good habit of doing so), but it's an extremely small amount compared to what someone who earns a lot more can save.
Thus, those who have more can save more. It doesn't mean that they actually do, though, as there have been many cases of multimillionaires who squander their money by living over-the-top lifestyles.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:53 PM

12 posts, read 43,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
This has nothing to do with gentrification. This has to do with personal safety.

Here's the poster:

Decent men don't wander the streets, disheveled, accompanied by a pit bull, and go up to women and ask them for their phone number. It is, in fact, one known method (shown often as a safety warning on local and national TV stations) of criminals trying to stop someone in order to either steal their phone or worse.

P.S. Are you "DaveyD" who posted this same thing to the website you advertise, above, 10/19/15 with the same title, i.e. "Gentrification 3.0 in the city of Oakland"?
Do you really think this "Daveyd" guy would call himself a "free market hero"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland