Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 11:56 PM

8 posts, read 6,346 times

Advertisements

My husband & I moved to SF 2 years ago & recently had our first child. My (single) mom desperately wants to move from Michigan to be closer to her granddaughter, but hates San Francisco proper. My husband & I have been considering the East Bay; perhaps in a year or so. Specifically Walnut Creek, but would totally consider comparable cities...of course close to BART😬.

My question is:
Where might be the most affordable East Bay city for someone coming from a Michigan budget, who's not looking to begin a new career, but rather find an office "job" to live comfortably in a 1-2BR apartment? Preferably in a pocket within reasonable distance to Walnut Creek /Lamorinda area & most definitely under or maxed out @ $1600/mo rent.

Other options: Magically finding a dog friendly house w/a MIL suite!

I honestly barely know East Bay myself, so I have no idea where to start with relocating my mom. Another kicker is my husband works in the Presidio in SF. I currently work from home & my relocating mom would most likely be moving & THEN finding a job (preferably admin assistant related.)

I value East Bay residents' opinions & hope for some good feedback. Open to various living arrangements & options... Just rattling my brain on how to even get the wheels in motion on this one😕
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 09:52 AM

203 posts, read 193,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1910 View Post
My husband & I moved to SF 2 years ago & recently had our first child. My (single) mom desperately wants to move from Michigan to be closer to her granddaughter, but hates San Francisco proper. My husband & I have been considering the East Bay; perhaps in a year or so. Specifically Walnut Creek, but would totally consider comparable cities...of course close to BART��.

My question is:
Where might be the most affordable East Bay city for someone coming from a Michigan budget, who's not looking to begin a new career, but rather find an office "job" to live comfortably in a 1-2BR apartment? Preferably in a pocket within reasonable distance to Walnut Creek /Lamorinda area & most definitely under or maxed out @ $1600/mo rent.

Other options: Magically finding a dog friendly house w/a MIL suite!

I honestly barely know East Bay myself, so I have no idea where to start with relocating my mom. Another kicker is my husband works in the Presidio in SF. I currently work from home & my relocating mom would most likely be moving & THEN finding a job (preferably admin assistant related.)

I value East Bay residents' opinions & hope for some good feedback. Open to various living arrangements & options... Just rattling my brain on how to even get the wheels in motion on this one��

Coming from Michigan she will be in a poorer part of the east bay. My friend ended up in Oakland.

Maybe Concord or Hayward? Bay Point or Martinez?

Old 12-01-2015, 10:26 AM

8 posts, read 6,346 times
How are those areas...safety wise, or even just culture wise? She needs it be able to walk her dog, have a secured spot to park 1 car. I know if she moves alone (as in, not an attached or detached MIL suite to us), she wouldn't be likely to afford the nicer WC or Lamorinda areas, but I don't want her to be in a gross neighborhood either. And BART isn't a huge concern for her at least. Thanks for the feedback!!

Old 12-01-2015, 10:27 AM

675 posts, read 1,190,401 times
Walnut Creek is a great place to live. There is a great retirement community in Walnut Creek for age 55+, you might want to look into that, though I think that might only be for purchasing condos/co-ops instead of renting. You can find Walnut Creek apartments close to the BART within your price range. Might be tougher to find one that allows pets. Craig's list is where I found my apartment back in 1999 and lived there until 2006, he allowed pets. Best of luck, hope you find something in Walnut Creek, such a great city. Feel free to PM me any questions.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:36 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
It will be pretty tough to find a 1-br in Walnut Creek in that price range, especially one that takes a pet. If you do come across one you probably will need to jump on it quick.

You'll have better luck in Pleasant Hill, Concord, and Martinez. Concord has areas you will want to avoid though (Monument, Detroit, Laguna, etc..)

As far as a house with a MIL suite, are you looking to buy? I highly doubt anyone would rent a house with an empty MIL suite attached or detached from it. Even if you buy it will be tough to find one but not impossible as I see them here on there on the MLS.

Last edited by sav858; 12-01-2015 at 10:45 AM..

Old 12-01-2015, 10:39 AM

203 posts, read 193,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs99 View Post
Walnut Creek is a great place to live. There is a great retirement community in Walnut Creek for age 55+, you might want to look into that, though I think that might only be for purchasing condos/co-ops instead of renting. You can find Walnut Creek apartments close to the BART within your price range. Might be tougher to find one that allows pets. Craig's list is where I found my apartment back in 1999 and lived there until 2006, he allowed pets. Best of luck, hope you find something in Walnut Creek, such a great city. Feel free to PM me any questions.
Usually need $500,000 AT LEAST for the decent retirement places.. THe low income ones have years of waiting list.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavinOnAJetPlane View Post
Usually need $500,000 AT LEAST for the decent retirement places.. THe low income ones have years of waiting list.
Rossmoor (WC's retirement community) has condo's for under $300K, even some below $250K. With the HOA the monthly payment would still be above the OP's $1600 budget if they chose to go that route though.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:50 AM

901 posts, read 1,168,081 times
I sympathize with you, you are locked into a very tough set of choices re: commuting, job location, and family and housing needs - exactly what the Bay Area does not do well at. Pet friendly and inexpensive and safe and convenient to SF for an old person - you're asking for a lot.

If you are on enough of a good income trajectory, i.e. 200k+ for household with prospects for growth, you should look at buying. With mortgage rates low, you'll probably spend less in rent than the two of you combined right now. Basically, if your mom has any savings, you could put it towards a down payment on a house. Don't know your budget. Concord? San Ramon? Both have some 3/2's for less than 800k, especially Concord.

If you can't pull the above off, and you want mom around, I basically don't see the advantage of staying in the Bay Area. If I were in your exact situation I would not stay. Having a grandmother around is an amazing plus, but real estate is brutal here. A true in-law suite or capability of such won't be found on anything but 1.3m+ houses even in the east bay. At lower price points you're probably looking at having her in a bedroom. this plays into how many kids you will have, do you need a 3 bed or 4 bed house, etc.

Another idea: forget about easy access to BART. Maybe Livermore? Maybe bump her rent up to 2k per month while you execute a buying plan? In Livermore, you have to drive to BART into a different city out there. How often will she come over, really? Three times a month? then it's OK if it's a 90 +minute trip to see you. Maybe Martinez or Benicia? Much has been written about those towns on this forum.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
A true in-law suite or capability of such won't be found on anything but 1.3m+ houses even in the east bay. At lower price points you're probably looking at having her in a bedroom. this plays into how many kids you will have, do you need a 3 bed or 4 bed house, etc.
You can definitely find homes with in-law suites or units for less than $1.3 million in the East Bay. They're not common but you do see them on the MLS.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:11 AM

901 posts, read 1,168,081 times
sav858 - really? That is great for the poster. I'd bet you'd see them more in some towns than others. Which ones would those be? Lower middle class areas of San Ramon, Concord, etc? If there are enough of them they might be rentable, if they are legal.

Also, there are the illegal conversions, maybe they could find one of those to purchase. I'm guessing it would be harder to rent one of these, but I could be wrong. A local real estate agent might be of help finding these, as they can't be advertised, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland