Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 04:57 AM

522 posts, read 735,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatetobefrank View Post
Hi,
First time posting!

I'm going to be applying for a fellowship with Mother Jones and I feel I have a good chance of getting it. The job would be in San Francisco and the 1500$ the fellowship pays combined with what my spouse makes would rule out living in San Francisco as an option. We would be able to afford around 1000-1200$ monthly for rent+utilities, and aren't overly concerned about crime. Obviously we don't want to live in a building controlled by a criminal gang but again, we've lived in rough neighborhoods before with little trouble other than the occasional raving lunatic causing trouble outside the aparent building. I've read on here about Alameda and Emeryville but hear about the potential devastation of alameda if there is a large earthquake, and Emeryville is supposed to be "ghetto" and an extension of be bad parts of Oakland. What would be some other places I might not have considered commuting from? I'm not opposed to 3 hours total round trip commute time and don't mind trains. Although I've never rode Caltrain or Bart so I'm not sure how fast the rides are or how susceptible to delays they are. Driving is not an option for me. I am willing to take the risk of living in/on Alameda, and wouldn't mind living in a sort of run down neighborhood if it is relatively close to a Bart/Caltrain that would take me to San Fran. I am, however, concerned about bedbugs or living too close to freight railroads. Also wouldn't be opposed to a "less desirable" Oakland neighborhood. Any help would be great and let me know if there are any other considerations I haven't thought of. This would likely only be temporary (6months to one year) so it doesn't have to be perfect, just something to get through).

Oh, I'm also concerned about bed bugs. I definitely dont want to wind up living in a straight up slum with this problem
Concord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 01:13 PM

379 posts, read 785,402 times
Honestly, your best bet is in that budget is probably going to be to a master bedroom in a house that's open to couples sharing a room. You'll find something closer to San Francisco, and since I assume the fellowship is temporary, so would be living with other people. You may find it easier to make friends with roommates, too.

A few examples:

$800 Room for rent (sunset / parkside)
$1200 Master Bedroom in Single House by 580 on Hill Lovely Quiet Convenient (san leandro)
$1000 Spacious room in super convenient, all accessible area!! (fremont / union city / newark)

Old 01-01-2016, 05:34 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Yup. Share a house or apt for 6 months, it's the only way you could possibly swing this move and you'll have a much better time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland