Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 08:49 PM

320 posts, read 283,288 times

Advertisements

Hey fellow San Franciscans, just have a quick question. In your opinions, why is New York considered better than our city? I for one have been to the big apple and believe their culture is overrated. Has anyone else been to New York and came to a similar conclusion?

Old 12-22-2015, 11:05 PM

473 posts, read 521,423 times
Well, I assume anyone who says that is talking about more than just "culture." New York ... is New York. It is one of the truly world-class cities in this country. It's a vitally important economic powerhouse. Few other cities anywhere can hold a candle to the breadth and depth of New York.

That's not a knock on SF at all. SF is AMAZING. It's Venice to NY's Rome. Barcelona to Madrid.

But knocking NY because you think the culture is better here ... kind of misses the point, no?

Old 12-23-2015, 01:10 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
NYC is 10x bigger and more complicated than SF. It's in its own league and only London, Paris, and Tokyo are even worth comparing. I like visiting a lot, but I wouldn't want to live there- at least not as someone in my 30s who's already pretty well settled in the Bay Area.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:39 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I like NYC a lot besides the weather. I like the density. The nonstop activity. The fact that people dress up. The fact that men there show intent. There is a ton to do, and it is easy to get to. I love the Highline.

I am very much a Cali girl, but appreciate NYC. Over the past few years SF has lost a lot of its SF-Ness, and I hope the same fate doesn't befall Oakland.

My last visit there made me realize I liked it quite a bit more than I thought. It is starting to look like a bargain compared to here.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:47 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
NYC is considered better than pretty much every city, although it might be too much city for some and in that case SF could be seen as a better option.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:46 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
From your recent post in the NYC forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spodi90 View Post
How can we put 59,000+ homeless to good use in a city that continues to become greater and greater?
I realize that people move around, but I don't understand why Spodi90 posts in the NYC forum if he doesn't like the place. Maybe you are from there but why do you feel the need to start (another) thread comparing SF and NYC?

Old 12-23-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
From your recent post in the NYC forum:

I realize that people move around, but I don't understand why Spodi90 posts in the NYC forum if he doesn't like the place. Maybe you are from there but why do you feel the need to start (another) thread comparing SF and NYC?
No need to troll pimplesky, this is a cultured and civilized San Francisco thread. Your kind can go partake in the thread you referenced or you can try the teenage consumer forums for proactive products.

As for comparing ny and sf, sf is world renowned for its smug liberalism so I wanted to see their opinions of the san franciscanization of the big apple. Check the ny forum, You'll see peoples opinions of ny today and as smug liberals you have nothing in common with the people in reality but ideally you support them so I wanted some opinions. Sorry zits.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 887 times
I created an account just to say that this thread is embarrassing.
Do you really think we're the best city in the world? LOL.

Yes - NYC is better city than San Francisco. It's much bigger, more iconic, it's more important, it's more popular. You're not a fan of their culture? San Francisco, or any other city not named London and Paris can not hold a candle to NYC's "culture" (if you mean the high-culture, high-art, their museums and being "eventful"). NYC is just way more buzzing, interesting, exciting and happening.

San Francisco is a great place, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Though, I never hear of anyone claim we're better than NYC. Better than LA is where we should stop.

That said..I wouldn't leave SF for anywhere else...because this is where my roots are, and a lot of my family still lives in the area. And I am not a fan of winter.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramses89 View Post
I created an account just to say that this thread is embarrassing.
Do you really think we're the best city in the world? LOL.

Yes - NYC is better city than San Francisco. It's much bigger, more iconic, it's more important, it's more popular. You're not a fan of their culture? San Francisco, or any other city not named London and Paris can not hold a candle to NYC's "culture" (if you mean the high-culture, high-art, their museums and being "eventful"). NYC is just way more buzzing and happening.

San Francisco is a great place, but people here tend to getting too ahead of themselves.

Though, I never hear of anyone here thinking we're better than NYC. Better than LA is where we should stop.
Being that we are in a san Francisco forum I guess I'll pretend to humbly praise myself while not trying to sound pretentious but failing anyway. "Thanks ramses for taking the initiative from my inspiring ways" happy holidays to you because I cant say the C word in the sf forum. Yes i've read the forum rules *laughs condescendingly*

Old 12-23-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
why do you feel the need to start (another) thread comparing SF and NYC?
Because ny is becoming like the queen bee (jewel) that is the paris of the west as 99% of the 1% refer to San Francisco.

San Francisco, "the Paris of the West": SFist

Now the article is from 2007 so its not new and shiny for a queen's eyes and her subjects who love novelty but its still good and you can read the old dusty article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland