Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2016, 04:30 PM

7 posts, read 10,200 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

I've noticed that certain cities and towns have more places to rent during June with a july 1st move in) and others have more places to move in during may with a june 1st move in date. I am wondering what will be less competitive or a better time to shop around for places to rent instead of just applying to whatever I find because nothing is available. Any Advice? Will be going to UCBerkeley so I am moving around that area (Thinking of moving to San Pablo all the way down to North Oakland)

Thanks so much for any help,
Daena
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 11:05 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times
You absolutely do NOT want to be competing with everyone and their mothers for a place during the summer months. Yes, there will be more inventory, but the number of renters will be 1,000X what you are seeing now.

Rents always go up during the summer months and even crappy places fly off the shelves; because after losing their twentieth places in two weeks and school about to start in a week, people get desperate and just rent whatever and overpay for it. Don't be that person.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:09 PM

7 posts, read 10,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
You absolutely do NOT want to be competing with everyone and their mothers for a place during the summer months. Yes, there will be more inventory, but the number of renters will be 1,000X what you are seeing now.

Rents always go up during the summer months and even crappy places fly off the shelves; because after losing their twentieth places in two weeks and school about to start in a week, people get desperate and just rent whatever and overpay for it. Don't be that person.
I don't want to move during the summer but I have to because my school ends the last week of May and the the UC begins right after summer. My lease now ends on june 1st, so I would be without a place.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:03 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
June is actually the best time. UC is out at that point, and the students won't be back until August. Even so, you have to have your paperwork ready, the market will still be competitive. Try El Cerrito and Albany; slightly lower prices, and still close to UC. Significantly less crime than in much of Oakland, especially NW Oakland, where you're thinking of going.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:05 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daena2010 View Post
I don't want to move during the summer but I have to because my school ends the last week of May and the the UC begins right after summer. My lease now ends on june 1st, so I would be without a place.
And that is exactly why the summer is so competitive. Not to mention, most families chose to move during the summer when school is out.

If you can, do your work early and look for a place sometime in May for a lease that begins in June. It starts getting heat up at during the last week of May and get really crazy in July/August. So May/June is your best bet but do except a lot of fellow lookers in June and like Ruth said, you have to have your documents in order ready to go on the day of the open house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: