Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 08:49 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Its a damn shame that this region is so inhospitable to building all the housing units needed to sustain newcomers and middle to lower income folks.

I wonder if these NIMBYs realize that they are making it impossible for many of their own children to afford to live here in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 08:55 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Many projects simply go no where...

There is a chill in Oakland right now as 3 new fees are being considered on new construction.... one report said the total wouldn't be more than $25,000 for expensive homes.

For better or worse the SF Bay Area can be a very smug place for those that already have their piece of the pie...

Old 01-02-2016, 09:58 AM

901 posts, read 1,167,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I wonder if these NIMBYs realize that they are making it impossible for many of their own children to afford to live here in the future.
Exactly, everyone thinks that by saying 'no' to development, they are helping themselves. Except, what all parents want most of all is for their children to be nearby. Children of locals who aren't high earners themselves leave the state or region.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:04 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
Exactly, everyone thinks that by saying 'no' to development, they are helping themselves. Except, what all parents want most of all is for their children to be nearby. Children of locals who aren't high earners themselves leave the state or region.
In a few years high earners will be SOL unless you are I the top 2%.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriss92 View Post
I don't mind cold and snow as I grew up in a nor Easter highway but I wouldn't mind to not have to deal with it ever again either , I do however do not want high humidity heat Summer's so that gets rid of pretty much everything east of the Rockies. I don't mind dry heat but somewhere like Phoenix is not attractive to me
I think that at your level in your working career right now, you should not be prioritizing "lifestyle" choices like weather; that's a luxury. You need to build to the point where you actually can do that. You didn't say what field you're in - retail? You need to get beyond that entry-level, acquire some skills that are in-demand and then you can start being picky.

If it's much easier for you to build in, say, a city or region that has some humidity, boo hoo, you gotta do that. Much smarter choice. Time is precious.

If you pick a place that is ultra competitive for your level, but has nice weather and lifestlyle you want, you will be suffering. It will take longer to get a job, and will be harder to advance.

If you found a place where you could easily find work and advance, you'd get to a point where you *could* discriminate much more quickly in your life and live in a nice "lifestyle place." I'm talking about years here.

I mean, I'd personally love to live in, say, Santa Barbara. Or live well in San Francisco. Or even Manhattan. But it is way above my station, and probably always will be for reasons of career advancement that I don't need to get into - my trajectory is just not going to be that good, I'm too old, don't have enough time, and I'm OK with that.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:12 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Build up your earning capacity , then visit, then possibly move.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:16 PM

286 posts, read 295,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
I think that at your level in your working career right now, you should not be prioritizing "lifestyle" choices like weather; that's a luxury. You need to build to the point where you actually can do that. You didn't say what field you're in - retail? You need to get beyond that entry-level, acquire some skills that are in-demand and then you can start being picky.

If it's much easier for you to build in, say, a city or region that has some humidity, boo hoo, you gotta do that. Much smarter choice. Time is precious.

If you pick a place that is ultra competitive for your level, but has nice weather and lifestlyle you want, you will be suffering. It will take longer to get a job, and will be harder to advance.

If you found a place where you could easily find work and advance, you'd get to a point where you *could* discriminate much more quickly in your life and live in a nice "lifestyle place." I'm talking about years here.

I mean, I'd personally love to live in, say, Santa Barbara. Or live well in San Francisco. Or even Manhattan. But it is way above my station, and probably always will be for reasons of career advancement that I don't need to get into - my trajectory is just not going to be that good, I'm too old, don't have enough time, and I'm OK with that.
you couldn't pay me enough to work retail. i am in the transportation industry, and have an option of a job oppruntiy in pretty much every major city in the country which is why I'm narrowing my research to places i would actually want to reside it

Old 01-14-2016, 12:21 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
you couldn't pay me enough to work retail. i am in the transportation industry, and have an option of a job oppruntiy in pretty much every major city in the country which is why I'm narrowing my research to places i would actually want to reside it

I think that poster was saying you need to be higher up in the food chain in your particular field, be it retail or transportation. The pay you spoke of in the opening post say lower level, as do most jobs that you can transfer around to whenever and wherever. Career type positions mean you are more important wherever you are, they won't want to loose you and there isn't always a comparable position in a city you want to live in.

I hope I'm making sense with this because you need more money to live in the Bay Area. It's not a knock on you or your job, my own kids can't live here either.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:07 PM

Ceece, I feel for you. I rent in Palo Alto, and I literally know several people on my block, who as parents are sitting on $3 to $4m properties, are not rich otherwise, and their kids live out of state for cost reasons.

Moving here making $15 an hour, or less than, say, 80k, seems insane to me.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:13 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Thank you for the advice , I'm from upstate New York so I'm well aware of the nyc conditions I take many trips down to the city in the summer but it is nice to know it's more or less the same in Frisco ...
My daughter attended Columbia in NYC, then after graduation moved to SF. She says SF is more expensive than NYC.

In SF, she lives in a 3rd floor walk-up in a building that is 106 years old and effectively has no insulation. It is a 2 bedroom apartment where the owner converted the dining room into a 3rd bedroom. One bathroom with a 20 gallon water heater (I didn't know they came that small). People sleep in the alcove just outside the entrance to her building. Public urination in doorways. There is an electric train just outside her door, with many people who have the appearance of homelessness. Rent is $5900/month split 3 ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland