Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2016, 10:02 PM

8 posts, read 7,763 times

Advertisements

Hello. I started another thread about this, but it was railed off topic. I'm moving to SF in a month from Maryland and could use advice. I'm a recent college graduate (23 years old) who wants to explore a new city. An exciting scene is important to me. I want to live in an area of the city that is fun, vibrant & active for other young professionals my age. That being said, I will be making about $75,000 with my job. What districts/neighborhoods within the city would you recommend, and also, what areas outside? When thinking about surrounding areas, keep in mind that I will be commuting into the city. And although I know it's unlikely, if anyone has had any experience with apartment complexes that fit my lifestyle criteria, I'm open to suggestions. Also, please be specific! I don't know the city well, and I'm not from west coast, so anything you omit will go over my head!

The cities I've heard so far that might be a good fit are: The Mission, Soma, Nob Hill & North Beach.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 10:28 PM

1,099 posts, read 903,507 times
Part of it is going to depend on your living situation. If you're living alone and trying to move South of Market, it's going to be pricey. One bedroom apartments are now up to $3600/month (maybe you can get a studio for $2800). Regardless, spending over 50% of your salary on rent is not a winning proposition (even though that area would be the best fit for the type of person you describe). I personally don't understand why it's such a big deal for people to actually live in a neighborhood that specific though. You do realize SF is not a really big city. You can typically get from one side of town to the other in 30 minutes or less if you know what you're doing. And it's easy enough to get around on public transportation in the city proper if you're not driving. And now that Uber and Lyft are around, it's even easier (used to be impossible to get around on Saturday nights relying on cabs). All the areas you mentioned are fine. Cow Hollow/Marina district might be a good choice also. I just recommend you don't get so caught up on neighborhood and focus on a safe, but affordable neighborhood first. Hate to say it, but that income is not all that much in this area for someone who hasn't been a resident for quite a few years (and thus doesn't have to deal with the high rents like you'll have to). Most of those people are in a rent controlled apartment or have a reasonable mortgage payment unlike a newbie.

Stay away from the Tenderloin, Visitacion Valley, and Hunters Point. And be careful if you decide to go to Bayview. A lot of that neighborhood has been cleaned up, but not everything.

Last edited by bodyforlife99; 01-09-2016 at 10:38 PM..

Old 01-09-2016, 11:55 PM

379 posts, read 786,706 times
The neighborhoods you mentioned would all be good fits. Also consider the Marina, Hayes Valley, and the Lower Haight. If you can't find anything in those areas, expand to Russian Hill, Alamo Square, and the Inner Sunset and Inner Richmond. You can find a room anywhere for your salary, for a studio you may find some of these areas (particularly SOMA & the Marina are quite pricey) out of budget. Expect you'll probably be renting a small, older unit and have to beat out a lot of competition for it.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
Part of it is going to depend on your living situation. If you're living alone and trying to move South of Market, it's going to be pricey. One bedroom apartments are now up to $3600/month (maybe you can get a studio for $2800). Regardless, spending over 50% of your salary on rent is not a winning proposition (even though that area would be the best fit for the type of person you describe). I personally don't understand why it's such a big deal for people to actually live in a neighborhood that specific though. You do realize SF is not a really big city. You can typically get from one side of town to the other in 30 minutes or less if you know what you're doing. And it's easy enough to get around on public transportation in the city proper if you're not driving. And now that Uber and Lyft are around, it's even easier (used to be impossible to get around on Saturday nights relying on cabs). All the areas you mentioned are fine. Cow Hollow/Marina district might be a good choice also. I just recommend you don't get so caught up on neighborhood and focus on a safe, but affordable neighborhood first. Hate to say it, but that income is not all that much in this area for someone who hasn't been a resident for quite a few years (and thus doesn't have to deal with the high rents like you'll have to). Most of those people are in a rent controlled apartment or have a reasonable mortgage payment unlike a newbie.

Stay away from the Tenderloin, Visitacion Valley, and Hunters Point. And be careful if you decide to go to Bayview. A lot of that neighborhood has been cleaned up, but not everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalLover View Post
The neighborhoods you mentioned would all be good fits. Also consider the Marina, Hayes Valley, and the Lower Haight. If you can't find anything in those areas, expand to Russian Hill, Alamo Square, and the Inner Sunset and Inner Richmond. You can find a room anywhere for your salary, for a studio you may find some of these areas (particularly SOMA & the Marina are quite pricey) out of budget. Expect you'll probably be renting a small, older unit and have to beat out a lot of competition for it.
Thank you both for your advice. I know the my salary will make finding a good place more difficult, but I also know it's doable. I have two friends living in SF. One is living in apartment for $1,400 monthly and the other $1,700 monthly. I have no problem living in a small & old studio apartment. I'm 23. At my age, I've accepted that as the sacrifice I have to make to live where I want to live! And I have no problem doing it! As I learn more about the city and become more settled, I'll looking for a nicer place. I have a lot of plans for my career.

I'm glad to hear from both of you that there are a number of places I can live. I'll be looking on Google & Craigslist to find good apartments.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:05 AM

175 posts, read 250,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate1992 View Post
Thank you both for your advice. I know the my salary will make finding a good place more difficult, but I also know it's doable. I have two friends living in SF. One is living in apartment for $1,400 monthly and the other $1,700 monthly. I have no problem living in a small & old studio apartment. I'm 23. At my age, I've accepted that as the sacrifice I have to make to live where I want to live! And I have no problem doing it! As I learn more about the city and become more settled, I'll looking for a nicer place. I have a lot of plans for my career.

I'm glad to hear from both of you that there are a number of places I can live. I'll be looking on Google & Craigslist to find good apartments.
Yes you are making a sacrifice. Keep in mind that if you find conditions not to your liking, and find a job elsewhere, that there are other cheaper liberal places in northern California that are similar in some ways to San Francisco, and much cheaper, such as Sacramento, Chico, and Reno. I also like Santa Barbara.

As for me I have to have a 1000 square foot apartment for 1000 dollars, with mountain views. But that's just me.

P. S. Reno doesn't want Californians. They only want our money..... Lol

Old 01-10-2016, 09:22 AM

1,099 posts, read 903,507 times
Good luck Nate.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolerance999 View Post
Yes you are making a sacrifice. Keep in mind that if you find conditions not to your liking, and find a job elsewhere, that there are other cheaper liberal places in northern California that are similar in some ways to San Francisco, and much cheaper, such as Sacramento, Chico, and Reno. I also like Santa Barbara.

As for me I have to have a 1000 square foot apartment for 1000 dollars, with mountain views. But that's just me.

P. S. Reno doesn't want Californians. They only want our money..... Lol
I'll keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
Good luck Nate.
Do either of you have any suggestions for fun places outside of the city in Northern CA? I'll keep in mind Sacramento, Chico & Reno.

And thanks, bodyforlife99!

Old 01-14-2016, 01:29 AM

Quote:
I'll keep that in mind.

Do either of you have any suggestions for fun places outside of the city in Northern CA? I'll keep in mind Sacramento, Chico & Reno.

You mean to visit???? Monterey, Carmel, Santa Cruz, lake Tahoe, Truckee, mt. Shasta city, Ashland Oregon, etc.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:30 AM

Quote:
I'll keep that in mind.

You mean to visit???? Monterey, Carmel, Santa Cruz, lake Tahoe, Truckee, mt. Shasta city, Ashland, Oregon, etc.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:16 AM

901 posts, read 1,170,110 times
At 75k income, you will be fine as long as you expect to feel somewhat poor and live in a crowded situation, unless you don't spend any of your discretionary money at all. You should try to make salary jumps as soon as possible. Really, it's not a great situation here, but you can have some fun for a couple of years. If you have a lot of friends here, that's a plus. If you don't, I wouldn't make this move post-college, I'd go somewhere else. But that's me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland