Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2016, 01:25 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
Yes Ruth, you are right. It's not fair to generalize in that way. With that said, I am finding it harder and harder not to. Without exaggerating, I would say at least 65-70% of that age group that I have experienced are indeed entitled twits (again, just my own experience). I wish I could have taken you to a gym I used to belong to in the city so you could experience exactly what I was talking about. The group that came in from 6-8 in the morning were in the age range of 45-65. They worked well and played well together, extending every courtesy. Then the GM starting going nuts on corporate membership. Enter the Millennials from all the tech companies from 6-8:30pm (average age now in the low 20s to 30s). One fight after another, no one works in with them on equipment...they'll let you know when they're done using it. No cellphone policy...forget about it...that policy is for everyone but them. 5mph speed limit in the garage...not for them! Check in at the front desk on the way in...not if there's one or two people in line...those rules are for others. Pick up their towel in the locker room...nope, that's what the help's there for.

Now take that example and extend it to other public behavior and you'll understand what I'm experiencing. Btw, the Yelp reviews of my ex-club mirror every comment I made. And yet, you'll get people like an earlier poster here that wants to blame natives for the way things are. Sorry, don't think so. I wasn't brought up that way Ruth, and I'm guessing you weren't either.
Fascinating! Sorry that happened to your gym. At my gym, all age groups do the not-allowed-to-work-in thing. They even bring a buddy or a spouse to stake out the machine together, and tie it up for close to 1/2 hr. I finally had to start complaining about these people to mgmt.

And yeah, I agree with you that Bay Area natives are a different breed than what you're describing. When I visit, I'm hanging out with natives the whole time, so I don't see what you're seeing--it's a whole different world. But I'll take your word for it, and I agree that it's sad.

What slays me is the completely dysfunctional traffic. And it's only going to get worse, which is a bizarre concept. If it gets any worse, the freeways will become useless.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:44 PM

1,099 posts, read 901,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Fascinating! Sorry that happened to your gym. At my gym, all age groups do the not-allowed-to-work-in thing. They even bring a buddy or a spouse to stake out the machine together, and tie it up for close to 1/2 hr. I finally had to start complaining about these people to mgmt.

And yeah, I agree with you that Bay Area natives are a different breed than what you're describing. When I visit, I'm hanging out with natives the whole time, so I don't see what you're seeing--it's a whole different world. But I'll take your word for it, and I agree that it's sad.

What slays me is the completely dysfunctional traffic. And it's only going to get worse, which is a bizarre concept. If it gets any worse, the freeways will become useless.
We're about to get a good preview of what you're talking about probably starting on Monday. I hear the Superbowl festivities are starting then. I won't be going near downtown SF. My wife works in Mission Bay so I hope I can get there easy enough to at least give her a ride home, but it might be backed up prior to Mariposa. We are thankfully leaving town on the actual Superbowl weekend.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:05 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
We're about to get a good preview of what you're talking about probably starting on Monday. I hear the Superbowl festivities are starting then. I won't be going near downtown SF. My wife works in Mission Bay so I hope I can get there easy enough to at least give her a ride home, but it might be backed up prior to Mariposa. We are thankfully leaving town on the actual Superbowl weekend.
This is what people do where I live now. There are a couple of big weekend events in the annual arts calendar that attract more visitors than the town has residents. Long-time residents tend to schedule their out-of-town getaways for those weekends.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:25 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,925,286 times
The Bay Area is pretty much where L.A. was: 1980's, a rat race! Crowded, expensive and not so friendly.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:27 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
The Bay Area is pretty much where L.A. was: 1980's, a rat race! Crowded, expensive and not so friendly.
LA has been friendlier than SF since the 1980's. Pretty much the first big tech boom of the 80's is when the bay went from Yippie to Yuppie.

What few alternative types came to the bay post 1980's, are largely johnny come latelys , from flyover country, and are quite late to a long dying party.

Coming to the bay now, with a flower in your hair, expecting peace, love, and tolerance?

That's like the dude who crashes a party at 3:15 AM, and wonders where all the hot chicks have gone.

To come to SF of 2016 you have to want ultra competitive tech bro/tech bride scene, or corporate yuppie types who can't hack it in Manhattan, or destitute poverty in need of hand outs from the class of "haves".

Old 01-23-2016, 10:16 PM

58 posts, read 61,264 times
I spend a lot of time in OC/LA and San Francisco, and there's really not a lot of difference in either. It may be generational, or just how the world is evolving. It certainly seems a more harsh existence.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
Dude.. i agree with you on the rudeness and materialism of the new arrivals. But you lost the "its always been this way in terms of cost" argument about five pages ago and just ignored your defeat. Give it a rest already... math is real and other posters arent "mean" they just know you are wrong. That is why none of them agree with you... jeez.....
See Post #46

Here's how much money you need to make to buy a home in San Francisco or San Jose - SFGate

And obviously a home at $850K is going to be less (mirroring some earlier comments I made on the topic in another thread). Sounds like a salary of $135K based on this article (just about the exact salary I said in the other thread where I was being attacked by a myriad of posters). The most laughable was some moron that said I should have just admitted defeat pages previous.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:14 PM

569 posts, read 780,077 times
Quote:
See Post #46

Here's how much money you need to make to buy a home in San Francisco or San Jose - SFGate

And obviously a home at $850K is going to be less (mirroring some earlier comments I made on the topic in another thread). Sounds like a salary of $135K based on this article (just about the exact salary I said in the other thread where I was being attacked by a myriad of posters). The most laughable was some moron that said I should have just admitted defeat pages previous.

Did you even read the article you posted? "To buy a home in San Francisco, the site found, a salary of $180,600 is required to buy an average home costing around $1,119,500."

Where did you get $135K? If you're making that, you'll need a 33% raise to get to $180K.

So who's the moron now?

Old 01-25-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post
Did you even read the article you posted? "To buy a home in San Francisco, the site found, a salary of $180,600 is required to buy an average home costing around $1,119,500."

Where did you get $135K? If you're making that, you'll need a 33% raise to get to $180K.

So who's the moron now?
You guys are absolutely killing me! Maui, did you even read the post I referenced (obviously not)?! It was referring to a house of $850K (which you could find in San Francisco) which obviously would be right about that $135K number based on the stats in this article. Seriously, I am so over this. People like you don't read anything that people post, then you come in pistols blazing to say they're wrong (I guess you thought you were being smart). I'm sorry, but I'm not going to spoon feed you. Why the hell do I even bother?!! Go ahead and give whatever lame brain retort you want to this. I'm done with you.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:31 AM

675 posts, read 1,190,116 times
Wow, did not read the whole thread, but wow, what a load of crybaby negative bull****. A bunch of you make SF sound like hell on earth. Boohoo I can't afford to live in the city, Boohoo I don't have $850,000 dollars to buy a house. Guess what, you don't HAVE TO live in the city of San Francisco to enjoy what great things SF has to offer. You don't HAVE TO live in city of SF to enjoy what Napa and Sonoma and Sausalito, etc have to offer. If you can't afford to live there, don't spend $2,000+ on a roommate situation and spend less than that on an apartment (OF YOUR OWN) in the east bay, or south bay or north bay.

And DON'T BLAME the city of SF if you can't afford to live there, maybe you should look in the mirror and figure out how to get that $850,000 house you may want. A lot of people have bettered themselves, so they can get the jobs where they can live better. This thread is a whole bunch of crybaby bull****. If you can't afford it, but enjoy the area, live somewhere else nearby. It doesn't take a rocket scientist. Also sounds like a bunch of you have negative attitudes to begin with, so of course you're unhappy.

I couldn't afford to live in the city of SF, so I rented an apartment in Walnut Creek, lived there for 7 years and was completely happy that I was a car/train ride away from all of my favorite places in the Bay Area (and LOVED living in Walnut Creek). Also, if I got sick of being in San Francisco (which I never did), I always had my sanctuary in Walnut Creek.

I can't afford to live in Manhattan now, so I live on Long Island. If I wanna spend time in Manhattan, I do, I don't have to live there to enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland