Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 10:04 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Generally speaking when people see a white person, there is an assumption that this person is "capable" so unless you do something wrong the capable veneer follows you around.
Ever wonder how white people earned that reputation?

Chew on that one for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 10:33 PM

406 posts, read 288,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post

Tastes like racism. Now allow me to check your hubris,
  • Racism is a system that enables a social group (by use of institutional and structural power) to produce, promote, and preserve privileges and advantages; as well as oppress, suppress and marginalize other social groups.
  • The inception of race presupposed that human populations can be divided into homogenous groups. That itself, presupposed that there were inherent differences between these groups, which necessitated ideas and associations within and between these groups. One group was assigned social advantages and advantageous associations, and to other groups, social disadvantages and disadvantageous associations. This classification of human populations was driven by imperialism and racism. And yet, there are no groups that are genetically homogeneous within and heterogeneous between. In fact, there is more genetic variation within races than between them. So, race being a classification of human population differences is an idea that is not supported by genetic studies. Race is a social construct.

Last edited by the happy guy; 01-22-2016 at 10:45 PM..

Old 01-22-2016, 10:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:

I do. Privilege in "western" society and systemic racism. There is nothing inherent that makes "white people" more capable. More like unconscious bias. If you head over to India or China or Japan or whatever the rules are totally different on who is perceived as capable. Go to Ghana or Nigeria and it is all about social class. Some ethnic groups are higher in the hierarchy than other.

There are no hard and fast rules, it is all about who your society decides is most valuable and who is in power.

Your statement is telling in itself, with that one comment you have already assumed I was incapable, without knowing anything about me and my qualifications. That's privilege.

I know successful people from all ethnic groups, with various amounts of class and education privilege.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
More like unconscious bias.
Sure it's unconscious?

I don't think race should ever be considered in anything.

I don't jump to any conclusions when meeting people. I've met some ridiculously stupid white people, and some ridiculously stupid black people.

I don't see race and in 2016, a bunch of my colleagues don't either.

I'm all for removing all traces of race/age/sex/income/names/etc from everything.

Would you be for a college and job application process that removes these things from the criteria? Where every student or worker was picked based on actual achievements?

Probably not, because you, like most SJWs, like to hide behind the "the world isn't fair" arguments.

The second it comes down to who can actually achieve the task, you'd rather see a selection of "fair balance" than a selection of "those who are the best for the job".

The world shouldn't be like that.

If Harvard was 100% black, and 100% of the students were just better than the rest of the applicants, my jimmies would remain unrustled, because they were the best students out of the bunch. Same would go for asians or whites.

Pick who is best for the job. I don't care what color their skin is, how old they are, or if they have been blessed with a dink or not.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Sure it's unconscious?

I don't think race should ever be considered in anything.

I don't jump to any conclusions when meeting people. I've met some ridiculously stupid white people, and some ridiculously stupid black people.

I don't see race and in 2016, a bunch of my colleagues don't either.

I'm all for removing all traces of race/age/sex/income/names/etc from everything.

Would you be for a college and job application process that removes these things from the criteria? Where every student or worker was picked based on actual achievements?

Probably not, because you, like most SJWs, like to hide behind the "the world isn't fair" arguments.

The second it comes down to who can actually achieve the task, you'd rather see a selection of "fair balance" than a selection of "those who are the best for the job".

The world shouldn't be like that.

If Harvard was 100% black, and 100% of the students were just better than the rest of the applicants, my jimmies would remain unrustled, because they were the best students out of the bunch. Same would go for asians or whites.

Pick who is best for the job. I don't care what color their skin is, how old they are, or if they have been blessed with a dink or not.
That's where you are wrong. Not "seeing" race (or gender or ability or sexual orientation or whatever) isn't a good thing, because these are things that form the lens in which a person experiences the world. Treating differently because of it is wrong.
When you say you 'don't see race', you
If You
'I don't see color' is cringeworthy. - The Race Card Project

Picking the right person for the job doesn't mean only picking people who match the pattern of the last person you picked. You really need to hone in on the absolute right skills for the job. And be open to other avenues that produce those people. They may not look exactly like you thought.

Twitter has been slammed lately for lack of diversity. Twitter has few black and latino people on their team, but black and latino people are the most avid twitter users. Imagine how much better they could do if they had people in the target demo working there (or people who have friends, family and connections in those communities). Obviously not all XYZ people are the same but having diverse perspectives (and diversity means a lot of things) gives businesses better outcomes.

Other industries are just missing out on huge markets. Do you know about Bezel, a razor company? Different perspectives solve business challenges you might not even be aware of.
What High Design Can Do For Neglected Black Consumers

Old 01-22-2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
That's where you are wrong. Not "seeing" race (or gender or ability or sexual orientation or whatever) isn't a good thing, because these are things that form the lens in which a person experiences the world. Treating differently because of it is wrong.
In other words:

Race difference is great when it benefits you.

When it doesn't, cry racism.

Well played.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
In other words:

Race difference is great when it benefits you.

When it doesn't, cry racism.

Well played.
What are you even talking about? Race and gender inform how I experience the world. Doesn't mean I can't interact with people that don't match my race and gender. Everyone benefits when more people have a seat at the table. Why don't we add in some more chairs.

But we also need to dismantle decades (or more) of systemic racism to start opening up these seats.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:19 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
You don't understand privilege. Being white is a privilege. So is being male. So is having money. So is being educated. So is being attractive. So is being able bodied. You can have some privileges and not have others. But they all impact your experience. No one says having privilege means everything is handed to you, it means in some cases you are advantaged over others. This doesn't mean you do not have to put in effort.

Privilege can enhance access to opportunity. We do not yet have equal access to opportunity. We need to level the playing field in substantive ways.

I'd like to add, privilege is not binary as well.
Yes I understand privilege, you don't understand life. "Leveling the playing" may have some positive benefits but there are negative consequences too. Such as enabling group-think, dependence, laziness, unfairness, and penalizing diligence. Does "leveling the playing field" mean we should have uneducated people running our most innovative companies, that is delusional. Rather, we should advocate that people use their brain power and volition along with their privileged or non-priviledged status instead of relying on legislation and social engineering.

The reality is most people are privileged in one realm and non-privileged in another. For example, a female, black person, can be educated and wealthy as well. Also your definition of privilege has flaws, just because you are male or considered "educated" doesn't mean you have an advantage; in fact, often white males are disadvantaged in certain jobs.

Last edited by Chimérique; 01-23-2016 at 12:49 AM..

Old 01-23-2016, 12:29 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,485 times
Quote:
What are you even talking about? Race and gender inform how I experience the world. Doesn't mean I can't interact with people that don't match my race and gender. Everyone benefits when more people have a seat at the table. Why don't we add in some more chairs.

But we also need to dismantle decades (or more) of systemic racism to start opening up these seats.
I remember watching a portion of "All in the Family" where Archie tells a black man that there is no racism because he doesn't think about race. The black man says, "Exactly, you don't have to." I think you are dealing with someone that is being honest but doesn't understand how those that are different from him think. Growing up white but gay has taught me many things and one is - we are treated different based on how we look and are perceived. For example, many in every group think I can hide my sexuality - but think about that on the psyche. For example, pretend you are not a women (I think you are female, right?) for a day and let me know how you feel? Multiply that by years and you know what I'm talking about. I'm just giving an example and NOT making assumptions about you. Anyway, I've gotten off course. Sorry... This is more for the racists or those that don't realize they are racist/ Cheers.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Yes I understand privilege, you don't understand life. "Leveling the playing" may have some positive benefits but there are negative consequences too. Such as enabling group-think, dependence, laziness, unfairness, and penalizing diligence. Does "leveling the playing field" mean we should have uneducated people running our most innovative companies, that is delusional. Rather, we should advocate that people use their brain power and volition along with their privileged or non-priviledged status instead of relying on legislation and social engineering.

The reality is most people are privileged in one realm and non-privileged in another. For example, a female, black person, can be educated and wealthy as well. Also your definition of privilege has flaws, just because you are male or a considered "educated" doesn't mean you have an advantage; in fact, often white males are disadvantaged in certain jobs.
Group think happens when everyone is the same. How does inviting more people to the table "lower the playing field." You are part of the problem, you just said "encouraging diversity" means sending over unqualified and uneducated people. And that follows your comment that "diverse" people are lazy and dependent. This is why you can't even get to the door to pitch yourself. Groupthink and stereotyping.

Just because one black women (or man) or latino or whoever does well, it doesn't mean that the deck is no longer stacked. I am one of the unicorns, I am a black person who works in tech.

There is loads of research out there that says identical resumes with names perceived as "white," "black," "asian" or "latino" have wildly different outcomes, with the white name getting more callbacks.

I already share an excellent video that demonstrates the many ways you can step forward or back based on privileges afforded to you (or not) based on your background and experiences.

Stop being naive and pretending that privilege doesn't exist. I am well aware that in some cases I have some, and in other cases I am at a disadvantage. Please give me some concrete examples where white males are disadvantaged in our society. Being white gets you better treatment in the justice system for the same crimes. More job opportunities if you are a felon (compared to other felons), more callbacks in a job hunt....

Starting off with positive assumptions that are yours to lose is a lot better than starting with negative assumptions (like the ones you so helpfully illustrated above) that you have to overcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland