Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 12:51 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,504 times

Advertisements

If you move there from Danville, you need to get your life right.

If you move there from Antioch, you've made it.

Different strokes, and such.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 01:00 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,324,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Eh, you're going to have good neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods everywhere you go.

Let's face it, Concord is dangerous.

If you feel comfortable living close to that type of crime, go for it.

An 8 out of 100 for safety on the "neighborhood safety" scale doesn't make me feel all warm and happy about a place.

I used to live in Norfolk, VA, which was similar. Bad neighborhood mixed with good neighboorhoods. Crime spilled over all the time.
I don't think neighborhood scout (im guessing that's what you used to see an 8 out of 100) is very accurate. My current town is only a 12 out of 100 and I have never had ANY issues at all.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:46 PM

163 posts, read 273,324 times
I absolutely don't think Concord is almost like Pleasant Hill. Pleasant hill neighborhoods are generally much nicer!

Areas near Monument/Detroit and Costco seem sketch. I personally wouldn't want to live there.

I don't mind doing quick shopping in Concord though (Costco, 99 Ranch, Willows, etc) but would rather "hang out" in WC if you ask me.

The only areas of Concord I'd consider living in are the areas right next to WC.

That's just me.

Then again, throughout my stay here in the Bay Area I've only lived in San Mateo, Walnut Creek and now Pleasant Hill. My opinion of Concord will probably be different had I lived in Hayward, Pittsburg or Antioch.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:12 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I don't think neighborhood scout (im guessing that's what you used to see an 8 out of 100) is very accurate. My current town is only a 12 out of 100 and I have never had ANY issues at all.
They go based on available crime data.

Just because you haven't experienced it doesn't mean others haven't.

Hell, just 2 weeks ago I had my trunk broken into in Walnut Creek in a nice neighborhood.

The amount of Ostrich's head-in-the-sand about the crime in the East Bay around here floors me sometimes.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:36 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayDiva View Post
I absolutely don't think Concord is almost like Pleasant Hill. Pleasant hill neighborhoods are generally much nicer!

Areas near Monument/Detroit and Costco seem sketch. I personally wouldn't want to live there.

I don't mind doing quick shopping in Concord though (Costco, 99 Ranch, Willows, etc) but would rather "hang out" in WC if you ask me.

The only areas of Concord I'd consider living in are the areas right next to WC.

That's just me.

Then again, throughout my stay here in the Bay Area I've only lived in San Mateo, Walnut Creek and now Pleasant Hill. My opinion of Concord will probably be different had I lived in Hayward, Pittsburg or Antioch.
If one can afford Walnut Creek over Concord, then great, but I know many people that live there and they don't have any complaints. Concord, as noted before, is a MIDDLE class city with pockets of poverty and pockets of wealth. Walnut Creek is, and has always been upscale--upper middle class/wealthy. Rents are very high now. Concord is nothing like the Iron Triangle of Richmond, or anything like the Sunnydale/Hunter's Point... parts of Oakland, parts of Vallejo,Antioch, etc.

I'm a tad confused as to why people think Concord, they immediately think of Monument Blvd, it's one limited area and doesn't represent all up and down along Treat Blvd, Clayton Rd, and the entire Southeastern areas. These neighborhoods are quite nice. I spent a huge amount of time checking out and researching many neighborhoods/even talking to homeowners when I was shopping for a rental. I honestly don't understand all the scaredy-pants/fear mongering stuff.

If I were looking for a place to live in Concord, I'd avoid the areas near Port Chicago Highway/Oliveira Rd and Monument/"Four Corners" area.. Overall, the north/northwestern parts. The downtown area (Todos Santos) has some nice apartments/condos and I wouldn't feel unsafe at all living over there either.

Also, I'm quite familiar with Pleasant Hill and the neighborhoods in/around the mall and behind the freeways are not that nice (not notably dangerous, just run down), so OP could avoid that area, imo.

OP could also go onto googlemaps and do a little walking "tour" to get a feeling.

OP..there was another interesting (and long) thread about Concord. There's someone out there that actually think it's the BEST place to live, for what it's worth...here's that-

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...-bay-area.html

Old 01-30-2016, 04:26 PM

163 posts, read 273,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
If one can afford Walnut Creek over Concord, then great, but I know many people that live there and they don't have any complaints. Concord, as noted before, is a MIDDLE class city with pockets of poverty and pockets of wealth. Walnut Creek is, and has always been upscale--upper middle class/wealthy. Rents are very high now. Concord is nothing like the Iron Triangle of Richmond, or anything like the Sunnydale/Hunter's Point... parts of Oakland, parts of Vallejo,Antioch, etc.

I'm a tad confused as to why people think Concord, they immediately think of Monument Blvd, it's one limited area and doesn't represent all up and down along Treat Blvd, Clayton Rd, and the entire Southeastern areas. These neighborhoods are quite nice. I spent a huge amount of time checking out and researching many neighborhoods/even talking to homeowners when I was shopping for a rental. I honestly don't understand all the scaredy-pants/fear mongering stuff.

If I were looking for a place to live in Concord, I'd avoid the areas near Port Chicago Highway/Oliveira Rd and Monument/"Four Corners" area.. Overall, the north/northwestern parts. The downtown area (Todos Santos) has some nice apartments/condos and I wouldn't feel unsafe at all living over there either.

Also, I'm quite familiar with Pleasant Hill and the neighborhoods in/around the mall and behind the freeways are not that nice (not notably dangerous, just run down), so OP could avoid that area, imo.

OP could also go onto googlemaps and do a little walking "tour" to get a feeling.

OP..there was another interesting (and long) thread about Concord. There's someone out there that actually think it's the BEST place to live, for what it's worth...here's that-

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...-bay-area.html
The previous posters said it - - it all depends on what you're used to and your personal preferences. If you're used to the likes of Danville, San Ramon, West San Mateo, Burlingame - - of course Concord won't be as desirable. If you're used to Redwood City near El Camino, East San Mateo, East Palo Alto then Concord wouldn't feel too different.

Also, I agree with you that there are areas of PH that are run down (near Contra Costa Blvd mostly)

Old 01-30-2016, 04:51 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayDiva View Post

I never said it was "almost like Pleasant Hill" just that they had similar property crime stats. So if that is what someone want's go off of to avoid Concord then they should probably avoid Pleasant Hill and Walnut Creek as well. Although there is a good chunk of Concord that is pretty similar to PH except with crappier schools.

I grew up in Walnut Creek and lived there as an adult as well. Lived in Pleasant Hill for several years too and now live in Concord. It is certainly the last choice of the 3 for most people but it's not really some shock living in most of the city in comparison imo. More middle class yes. A lot of people who grew up in WC can't afford to live there today, it's not a hard adjustment living in most of Concord.

My parents house has been broken into in WC. I've had my car broken into in front of their house in WC, which is on a private one lane dead end street too. Nothing has happened to me as far as crime in PH or Concord FWIW.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:17 PM

520 posts, read 611,050 times
Quote:
Eh, you're going to have good neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods everywhere you go.

Let's face it, Concord is dangerous.

If you feel comfortable living close to that type of crime, go for it.

An 8 out of 100 for safety on the "neighborhood safety" scale doesn't make me feel all warm and happy about a place.

I used to live in Norfolk, VA, which was similar. Bad neighborhood mixed with good neighboorhoods. Crime spilled over all the time.
Honestly, I don't know what 8 of 100 means on that site. Concord's violent crime rate, according to the same site, is below California's average. I've never felt in danger visiting Concord, FWIW. There are a few seedy neighborhoods, that have been well-identified on this thread. But even those just feel more run down than dangerous, to me.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:58 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,813,197 times
OP, have you ever visited Concord or areas close by? Concord does get quite warm in the summer. I have a friend that lives there and he seems to like it ok .....he has never expressed a concern or worry about crime.....only thing he has complained to me about is the heat on some days during the summer. Don't expect to find the same level of cultural amenities as you would find further west in cities like Oakland or Berkeley.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:17 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,559,492 times
Quote:
The property crime rate is almost twice the national median.

Not exactly what I would call low.
Yeah but on your post before this you said Concord was dangerous, then you said it was mostly property crime.
Having mostly property crime doesn't mean it's dangerous.

Having said that I lived in Pleasanton up until a few months ago. Pleasanton is relatively upscale and an extremely safe Area. So mow you know my expectations of a good place to live.

I owned a rental house right off of Grant in Concord where one person said it wasn't good. But unless you live around there or really know the area you can only make generalizations which may or may not be true. To the west of 242 it wasn't so great. But my house was one block to the east and that neighborhood had no problems. I talked to many of the neighbors and asked them if there was any crime problems in the neighborhood. They said there's hardly anything that happens. But if you just walk a block over east, just 5 minute walk the neighborhood radically changes.

I had no issues in the years I had that house. I actually was going to move into it a myself because the neighborhood seems relatively solid and had great access to shopping and going to Walnut Creek but at a much lower cost than living in Pleasanton.

My tenants said they loved it there because of access to shopping and commuting and no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland