Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 01:27 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,853,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientsanskrit View Post
All, I appreciate everyone's concerns about quality of life, and while a valid concern, I think we're getting side-tracked a bit. Our strategy is to get experience in some very large firms; and in my case gaining executive experience with a Fortune 200 albeit in a not so prime location. Nevertheless, I wish not to divulge more and so if we can return back to our regularly scheduled program that would be great...

If any City Data'ers attempt this commute and have any real-world experience/suggestions it would be appreciated. Thanks, all!
hmmm I spent 24 years in SF and the last 4 moved between SF and out past Sac so drove twice a week through the top edge of the central valley-

We used to camp a lot out and drove through Modesto- (I forget why you wouldn't consider just living out there? my friend has inlaws who have side by side McMansions out there so there are really nice parts to it.. too)

and even driving at night usually, the few times I caught in the tail end of rush hour --
awful. Traffic and rush hour will literally double your commute time, I feel for your wife.
(PS and traffic accidents- seems like when it gets really congested- somebody has an accident and that backs traffic up for literally miles, and in the summer those roads get fire blockages too, I have literally been driving back and seen flames on the side of the road)....

But you are pre- kids, and young, so yeah you need to try it. Its good to get your work experience in, congrats on the job offers!

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 11-16-2016 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 04:06 PM

68 posts, read 73,900 times
OP, I would advise you, if this is at all possible for you and your significant other to live in separate housing. If finances are an issue, look into roommate situations. It seriously is not worth the stress of commuting. You are also both looking at increased pressure with new positions, career ambitions, etc.

You could both be much happier living closer to your workplaces and doing without the fatigue and irritation that these drives will inflict on both of you. The little bit of time you spend in the mornings/evenings will not compensate for the trouble; you both will more often than not be too exhausted to spend anything resembling "quality time" together.

If you are living closer to your workplaces, the weekends can provide time to enjoy each others company and maintain your relationship. And, maybe later on, you can both look at securing positions at companies located in the same area and jointly move in together. If it's at all possible, please do that now before moving.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:03 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,768,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientsanskrit View Post
All, I appreciate everyone's concerns about quality of life, and while a valid concern, I think we're getting side-tracked a bit. Our strategy is to get experience in some very large firms; and in my case gaining executive experience with a Fortune 200 albeit in a not so prime location. Nevertheless, I wish not to divulge more and so if we can return back to our regularly scheduled program that would be great...

If any City Data'ers attempt this commute and have any real-world experience/suggestions it would be appreciated. Thanks, all!
It's a horrible commute but
A senior manager at a big 4 makes ~ $250,000
A partner at a big 4 makes > $300,000 - $500,000

If you are young and ambitious a horrible commute for a few years is not a high price to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland